Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Newbie and first post.

My 2011 Latitude has been overheating and having issues with the A/C for years. Its to the point where I take my girlfriends car on summer road trips in fear of having to blast the heat while sitting in traffic to keep the engine from burning up. I THINK the source of the problem is with the radiator fans but not positive. I try to be as much of a DIY mechanic as possible and here is the backstory.

About 9 months after buying the Patriot, a friend of mine took it for a spin and crashed it into a guide wire of a pole. This the wire split my front end in half by about 6 inches. He brought it to a budget body shop to have it repaired. The body shop did a very crappy job and I feel like i've been fixing their mistakes for years. Ever since then the overheating and A/C has been an issue (amongst other things). I don't know if the body shop installed the radiator fan correctly

Things I've done to TRY and fix overheating and AC issue.

1. The fuse was popped on the radiator fan, replaced it. It popped again and again. (electrical issue?)
2. changed both thermostats.
3. Tried to get the fans to turn on. If the AC is on, shouldn't the radiator fans turn on automatically regardless of engine temp? I've never seen the radiator fans turn on.
4. Made sure the plugs for the fans were tight.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Welcome!

Are the fans stuck? Can you spin the fans by hand?

Could be a wiring problem. Maybe something broken and shorting out.
The fans are controlled by the TIPM through relays inside a box located in the front drivers fender. Here's a pinout of the relay box and wiring diagrams:

1585056251160.png

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi all. Newbie and first post.

My 2011 Latitude has been overheating and having issues with the A/C for years. Its to the point where I take my girlfriends car on summer road trips in fear of having to blast the heat while sitting in traffic to keep the engine from burning up. I THINK the source of the problem is with the radiator fans but not positive. I try to be as much of a DIY mechanic as possible and here is the backstory.

About 9 months after buying the Patriot, a friend of mine took it for a spin and crashed it into a guide wire of a pole. This the wire split my front end in half by about 6 inches. He brought it to a budget body shop to have it repaired. The body shop did a very crappy job and I feel like i've been fixing their mistakes for years. Ever since then the overheating and A/C has been an issue (amongst other things). I don't know if the body shop installed the radiator fan correctly

Things I've done to TRY and fix overheating and AC issue.

1. The fuse was popped on the radiator fan, replaced it. It popped again and again. (electrical issue?)
2. changed both thermostats.
3. Tried to get the fans to turn on. If the AC is on, shouldn't the radiator fans turn on automatically regardless of engine temp? I've never seen the radiator fans turn on.
4. Made sure the plugs for the fans were tight.
Welcome to the group. You are correct that when the AC is on, both radiator fans should be spinning. If something pushed the radiator in, it's very possible that the radiator could be touching the fans and preventing them from turning - that could also explain popping the fuses, since if the motors are receiving power but not being able to turn - the result would be to overheat, draw too much current, and pop goes the fuse.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my jeep. Front end crash and the fuse kept popping. Ended up being a damaged fan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts