Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,355 Posts
A really tough break. :( If you've seen the price of used vehicles these days, it may well be worth the repair, especially if you can DIY. If you've looked at new vehicles, you may find you like your Patriot better.

What about the airbags? Until a dozen years ago nobody had airbags* so I don't suppose that makes much of a difference, but there could be ethical/legal issues if you were to sell it without functional airbags.

Will you have a regular title or a salvage title? That would also affect resale value.

Aside from those considerations, if you're keeping it for yourself and it's otherwise in good condition I'd say fix it, keep it yourself, and run it forever.

*When I was a kid, even seat belts were an option. I don't think they came standard until '64.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,355 Posts
A FWD with worthwhile winter tires is worth more than AWD or 4x4 with useless tires when snow comes.
Elsewhere on this site I've posted that I had a lousy set of tires (not old or worn, just lousy) on our old Wrangler. My FWD Pontiac was better in the snow than the 4wd Wrangler with those awful tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts