Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. I purchased this 2014 patriot back in october of 21 with 38k miles. Last Saturday I hit a deer on the interstate. The hood flew up and dented the roof and smashed the windshield. Air bags deployed. It appears that the drivers front frame horn may have a slight kink to it. The transmission will not come out of park regardless of shifter location. The jeep was in great condition with zero rust. Which is hard to find a rust free vehicle in North West Pa. The insurance company is going to give me enough money to pay off the loan. I have thought about paying off the loan and fixing it myself. After buying it back from the insurance company. This was supposed to be a winter vehicle. Im a fabricator and a mechanic so the work does not scare me. Im just not sure if its worth it or not. Advice is appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,359 Posts
A really tough break. :( If you've seen the price of used vehicles these days, it may well be worth the repair, especially if you can DIY. If you've looked at new vehicles, you may find you like your Patriot better.

What about the airbags? Until a dozen years ago nobody had airbags* so I don't suppose that makes much of a difference, but there could be ethical/legal issues if you were to sell it without functional airbags.

Will you have a regular title or a salvage title? That would also affect resale value.

Aside from those considerations, if you're keeping it for yourself and it's otherwise in good condition I'd say fix it, keep it yourself, and run it forever.

*When I was a kid, even seat belts were an option. I don't think they came standard until '64.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The air bags deployed but i can purchase them on ebay for around $200 each. Just the frame horn being tweaked and the transmission locked in park is holding me back. The tow truck had to drag it on and off the flat bed.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,035 Posts
If you really liked it, buyback and have a very well reviewed shop restore it. If it's not worth that to you, a 2001-2005 Impala gets 15%ish better mpg, and has a bit more power. Can still find one in good condition if you look, and they won't have all the electronic gizmos that a brand new car would have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Impala's are not 4wd though and I already have a daily driver. I just needed it for PA winters. I didnt really have any interest in the deer. All of its legs were blown off and laying on the interstate.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,035 Posts
A FWD with worthwhile winter tires is worth more than AWD or 4x4 with useless tires when snow comes. But of course it's your call on what you buy. If, as the case seems to be, the Patriot would be a backup vehicle anyway for tougher situations where even a FWD with winter tires might struggle a bit, maybe the buyback and rebuilt option would work for you as you wouldn't need it to get to work during the time it would be in the shop, and during that time maybe you can afford to get some tires like Cooper AT3's that would ensure the AWD/4x4 hybrid system would be properly useful in the winter. I don't know if you had all seasons, winter tires, or all-terrains of some sort on it or not already, but I know AT3's in 215/65R17 were $700-$750ish for 5 of them with a basic steelie for the spare all installed and everything at a Discount Tire about 2 years ago. That's probably gone up since, and I'd imagine it would need new tires after the recent incident.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Honda CRX was bumped into. The repair estimate exceeded its value, so the other guys insurance declared a total loss and sent me a check for its value. That ins. co. really didn't want anything to do with the car and were happy to let me "keep" it. There was no "buy back." I bought it new and paid cash. I always possessed the title and never transferred it to anyone. I did have to turn in the plates to the CA DMV, get a temporary sticker, fix it, pass a special $100 state inspection, and re-register it. I got new plates and they replaced my title with a "salvaged vehicle" title. It cost me a couple hundred bucks for parts and a couple of weekends work. I came out over a thousand bucks ahead. It's been 20 years and I still have the car. I've lived with some "cosmetic" damage (scratches).

You clearly like your Patriot. If it will be structurally sound and safe to serve its purpose, why not fix it and drive it until you wear it out.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,359 Posts
A FWD with worthwhile winter tires is worth more than AWD or 4x4 with useless tires when snow comes.
Elsewhere on this site I've posted that I had a lousy set of tires (not old or worn, just lousy) on our old Wrangler. My FWD Pontiac was better in the snow than the 4wd Wrangler with those awful tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What would bother me is trans. Hard to find one at a decent price with low miles. From pictures looks like that deer did a number. You may be able to find another may needs some work that if you bought the wrecked one off insurance company you could take 2 to build one. If not into that, I would look for another winter beater

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 75th Anniversary Edition
92 Posts
That so sucks... You're lucky the hood popped open since that deer could intruded into the passenger area. Another question would be was the intake manifold compromised? Engines have a tendency to inhale all the plastic bits when a plastic manifold comes apart so you may have an engine teardown to do as well. When I had a Neon which also had a plastic manifold (unless you got the ACR/RT) and was running a 100hp n2o shot and had grenaded the manifold. Found all sorts of plastic bits in the combustion chambers.

Reactions: shadowwarrior1955

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently had a similar situation. Last year hail damaged my Patriot to the point that my insurance company totaled it. I opted to keep it and took the buy-out money and kept the title. Well, a couple of months ago a dog managed to insert itself between me and where I was goin at 5:30am. It took out my ac condenser, the radiator and the lower bumper cover, the right inner fender splash shield and the foglamps. Needless to say, I fixed it myself with locally sourced condenser and radiator (O'Reilly's auto parts), Parts Geek and Rock auto body panels. Cost was $850 with a new set of headlamps (old ones had sun induced cataracts). My Patriot has 194,500 miles and is a Sport four-wheel drive with manual transmission.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dude, scrap it. Patriots have no value. My 2010 latitude went to about $5k 7 or 8 months ago but now that inventory is easing, it’s worth $2k. You’ll throw in a ton of money and TIME into that when if you like it so much you can just buy a decent one off of someone for cheap.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,035 Posts
I understood the used vehicle market to be going up, not down, due to the chip shortage driving so many to the used market. Less so or maybe the other way for gas guzzlers of course, but still. $$$$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts