Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot with ~90k miles, 2WD 2.4L manual transmission. Today I noticed that the physical gear shift is very hard to move with my hand. When I drove today I almost could not get it into any gear on the highway. I was able to get it into 5th. When I accelerated I would hear a brief squeak. It would stop when I stopped accelerating. Then when I got on some side roads it was a little easier to drive so the problem seams intermittent. Then I stopped the Jeep, pushed the clutch down and held it down, pushed the brake, shifted into first and it sounded like the engine changed sound.

Help!

What should I be looking or what do I need to fix? Do I have multiple problems here?
I do not want to bring it into the shop and just say please fix it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot with ~90k miles, 2WD 2.4L manual transmission. Today I noticed that the physical gear shift is very hard to move with my hand. When I drove today I almost could not get it into any gear on the highway. I was able to get it into 5th. When I accelerated I would hear a brief squeak. It would stop when I stopped accelerating. Then when I got on some side roads it was a little easier to drive so the problem seams intermittent. Then I stopped the Jeep, pushed the clutch down and held it down, pushed the brake, shifted into first and it sounded like the engine changed sound.

Help!

What should I be looking or what do I need to fix? Do I have multiple problems here?
I do not want to bring it into the shop and just say please fix it.
Thanks!
Hi Tim_me,
I am sorry to hear about the concern you are having with your Patriot. While I see that you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for advice, please remember that our team is always available for support via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tim_me, You do have 90K on your patriot and there is a good chance that your clutch is original. Do you know if the clutch has been replaced?

If you search though this forum you will find that some 5 spd owners had a problem with a sticky shifter. In which case they lubricated the linkage and it solved the problem, I would try that first. I would also check the Clutch master cylinder to see if it's low on fluid. and you should also check the fluid level in the transmission.

If none of those fixes the problem you might want to get some quotes for a new clutch kit. Don't go to the dealer, there's plenty of mechanics out there that can do it for a lot less. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi TKPat, thanks for the reply. The very next day I drove it two work and I had a hard time shifting it into 3rd. I forced it in and then heard a very loud bang noise. Then I could not get any power to the wheels in any gear. I hand the car towed to my mechanic and he replaced the the clutch and a few other clutch related items. It was the original clutch. I have been the only owner of the vehicle. So, I learned not force it when it does not want to go in gear.

Thanks again for responding!

·
Registered
150 Posts
How much did the new clutch cost you? If you don't mind me asking (for others in forum that might be looking at a new clutch on their manual's). I have a CVT in mine so I'm looking at 3-5 grand if anything goes wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts