Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 4wd Manual transmission, when I drove it everything was ok.
A week later I went on the freeway and whenever I was around 40 or 50 mph I noticed it started to shake, just like when your tires are bad, but if I stop accelerating or put it on neutral the shaking is gone, it only happens when going uphill or straight, never downhill so I figured the issue was with the motor, I changed all the motor mounts and the shaking is still there...

So basically it shakes when I'm on 4th or 5th gear, accelerating, not going downhill, starting around 45 mph.

Any ideas of what's wrong?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Edannor, Welcome to the group. If it's only shaking when the drivetrain is under strain like that, the first thing that I would suspect would be a CV joint.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A bad CV joint would be the first thing I'd check, but be careful I've seen axle's go bad even if the boot still looks good. The best way to check is to grab the axle close to the joint and try to move it up & down (in & out play is normal, up/down play is bad.

I would also check your suspension for problems: tie rods, ball joints, struts, etc.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 4wd Manual transmission, when I drove it everything was ok.
A week later I went on the freeway and whenever I was around 40 or 50 mph I noticed it started to shake, just like when your tires are bad, but if I stop accelerating or put it on neutral the shaking is gone, it only happens when going uphill or straight, never downhill so I figured the issue was with the motor, I changed all the motor mounts and the shaking is still there...

So basically it shakes when I'm on 4th or 5th gear, accelerating, not going downhill, starting around 45 mph.

Any ideas of what's wrong?

Hi Edannor,
While I see you are receiving great tips from your fellow forum members, please remember that we are always available to answer questions or address concerns. If you do require a visit to your dealer, feel free to send our team a PM for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Edannor,
While I see you are receiving great tips from your fellow forum members, please remember that we are always available to answer questions or address concerns. If you do require a visit to your dealer, feel free to send our team a PM for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thanks Kathryn!
Actually I did go to the Jeep dealer but they charge $150 for any diagnostic, that's why I wanted to try and figure it out first.
We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks Kathryn!
Actually I did go to the Jeep dealer but they charge $150 for any diagnostic, that's why I wanted to try and figure it out first.
We'll see how it goes.
I understand your reasoning, Edannor. However, if you are unable to remedy this on your own and decide to visit your dealer, please remember that our team is happy to assist you via private message!

Kathryn
JeepCares

1 - 10 of 10 Posts