Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Pat Pro's,

Hopefully someone can give me a little more insight into my issue. I have a 2014 4x4 Latitude with 6-speed (FD1) with around 53k miles. I am the second owner.

A few months ago I replaced my tires without any problems. After running them a few weeks, I drove the Pat down to Miami on 95 often at speeds I don't normally drive. Maybe up to 100 mph. (I was out without kids maybe i was a little excited :smile2:) So I drove this way up and back for about an hour. I didnt have any problems on that drive.

The next day though I noticed a loud whine that would get louder the faster I would go. The shop I did the tires with said it could be the hubs, but I didnt have them look at it then. Eventually I brought it to the Dealer.

Over a 12 day period including 2 weekends through July 4th holiday, the Dealer first replaced the Rear Diff under the soon to be expired powertrain warranty. The mechanic said while most of the sound went away, he still heard something. So he changed the rear hubs.

This took several days as he had to order the backing plates which he could not remove from the assembly. My warranty company wouldn't cover them, they are excluded, but the hubs were covered. The mechanic said that he didn't find play in the bearings/hub so he didn't change hubs right away. But he was able to show me the old hub was binding up as it spun, whereas the new one was smooth.

So the noise is still there. It becomes audible at around 30 mph and then by 50 it is loud and getting louder. It just sounds like road noise to me, and the pitch goes up the faster I drive. Even my wife said the Jeep is loud.

I plan on bringing it back next week, but I don't have much confidence in them. Any ideas??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the noise get louder when you turn left or right, or is it constant?

I'm going through this with the front bearing on my 2014. I now know what it is, but finding a way to get it done without being ripped off is another story. It comes down to a $25 part and finding a machine shop to help, or $350 to use the OE parts and save a trip. And I had the same issue. I bought new tires (which I needed), paid for a quality alignment, still as loud as it was before.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JeepsForever,

The noise seems only be speed related, getting louder as I get faster. Maybe related to that noise, when I turn left I do feel something binding or twinging at a certain point through a turn. There is also a bit of a clunk when accelerating from idle at slow speeds.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.