Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last fall I took a look at my wheel hubs and noticed slight rust. About a month ago I got the stuff to clean it and take care of it, but never got around to it until today. I was pleased to see the rust hadn't really gotten much worse since I last checked it. To clean it, I used WD40 and a wire brush, then sprayed it with white lithium grease (reminds me a lot of Ghostbusters 2)

Interestingly enough after I did all this and rotated my tires, now I've got a wicked shimmy in the steering at about 65+ mph. It's weird because I never noticed any vibrations when the front tires were on the rear. I was thinking of going to get them all balanced, but I plan on getting new tires soon anyways so I'll probably just stay off the highway for now

Pictures:

Drivers side rear, before:

Drivers side rear, after being cleaned with WD40 and a wire brush:

With white lithium grease:

Tools used:

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Very similar to what I did. I added brake cleaner and some shop air into the prep is all.
Used Fluid Film in place of the white lithium but same end result.

You know I'm going to measure mine next rotation and then prowl the trailer supply pages looking for a dust cap that will snap over that hole. Pack that with grease and it would be a more long term, maintenance free solution, I think.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Just noticed...in the second picture down...see those speckles on the sub frame to the right of the rotor/hub/wheel assembly?

That is what Fluid Film is for.

My independent shop recommended it to me and I am now a fan boy for it. a Can goes with me or my mechanic anytime we are under the vehicle on any fluid change, tire rotation, inspection. There are places I'd expect a haze or a spot and they remain free...totally. I'm not long term enough with it but what I see, how it performs allows me to give it a high recommendation.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Just noticed...in the second picture down...see those speckles on the sub frame to the right of the rotor/hub/wheel assembly?
That may be the muffler.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is doing the same thing.
The factory black isn't all that, for sure.

I stare longingly at my can of VHT Header paint, waiting for the weather to break...
I'm wanting to do the same thing. Is it a spray can, or do you brush/roll it on? I'm not looking forward to cleaning and preping the muffler

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Spray can (I call them rattle cans).

Have you been underneath? Its not at all cramped, lots of room.

My prep plan is a soft wire brush until "that's good enough" and then using a cardboard mask, held in one hand with the rattle can in the other and going slow and thinking about overspray.

My motivation will be opening a beer prior to going under and wanting it cold and bubbly when I get out.

then a drive to set the paint.
Repeat as needed.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
OK, back 13,000 km ago my hubs looked like MRJeeper's in the first picture in this thread.
Except my rust had also crept into the centre nut/cotter key area a bit.

Here is the story of my hub rust issue 13,000 km later:

Back after I purchased my Patriot it was throwing rusty water out of the wheel centres, the Jeep button area of the wheel. It was this forum that educated me about the hub rust issue and I removed all my wheels, wire brushed and used air and brake cleaner to remove any rust (there was some on a brand new, off the lot vehicle).

Then we treated all four hubs/behind the wheel areas/brake drum/whatever to a dressing of Fluid Film.

13,000 km later we inspected after pulling those wheels for the rotation.
Zero rust, none, nada. All areas remain coated with Fluid Film and everything looks peachy keen.

The Fluid Film had crept and all areas were covered, so much so that we didn't bother to re-spray.

This is Metaxa reporting in from the temperate rain forest known as the east coast of Vancouver Island where everything rusts because, trust me, rust never sleeps.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice. The lithium grease seems to be working for me, but I do wish I had some fluid film. I noticed the grease I put on crept around the side of the hub and was moving towards the brake disc. It didn't make it far and I wiped up all excess, but it did worry me that the stuff could easily end up on the brakes if not careful

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Very nice. The lithium grease seems to be working for me, but I do wish I had some fluid film. I noticed the grease I put on crept around the side of the hub and was moving towards the brake disc. It didn't make it far and I wiped up all excess, but it did worry me that the stuff could easily end up on the brakes if not careful
Centrifugal force, eh?

That is why we were so spare with the Fluid film, to ensure that if it did spin out onto the rotor it would only be a little bit and (hopefully) the pad would burn it off the rotor instead of causing massive brake failure and being the root cause of my death.

So...have you noticed...I'm a Fluid Film fan.

One more thought, perhaps the left over WD40 thinned out the lithium? I dislike WD40, it is a good cleaner and water disperse-ant but it is crap as a lube and it cuts grease and such so maybe follow up the WD40 used as a cleaner with a rinse of brake cleaner, then use the lithium?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I used PB Blaster on mine at 18K miles. Minimal rusting to start with.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mr Jeep, you still suffering with that shimmy? Wondering if I should do this when I switch over to my new wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, it went away completely after getting new tires installed. I don't know if something got behind the wheel keeping, it from being mounted flush, or if it was just a tire issue. Either way it went away!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I received my can of Fluid Film in the mail yesterday, but I don't want to take my wheels off to brush and spray the hubs since I don't have a torque wrench to put the wheels back on (and I don't have a hydraulic jack either, just the emergency jack). The dealer assures me that it's not really rusting, but I like to err on the cautious side.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
I received my can of Fluid Film in the mail yesterday, but I don't want to take my wheels off to brush and spray the hubs since I don't have a torque wrench to put the wheels back on (and I don't have a hydraulic jack either, just the emergency jack). The dealer assures me that it's not really rusting, but I like to err on the cautious side.
Hand tighten your wheels good and tight using a star wrench and that will be fine until you pop into a tire shop and get a torque check. Around here that is free.

If you do use your vehicle jack be very careful, find something like a big wooden block to place under. Better still buy a floor jack and two jack stand kit...you will wonder how you got away with not having it before.

With the FF, open your hood and do both battery terminals and the tops of the shock towers at least. Underneath you can hit anything at all...and I do. Stay away from inside your brakes, the rotors, caliper, pad areas.

You are going to grow to love that stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
OK, back 13,000 km ago my hubs looked like MRJeeper's in the first picture in this thread.
Except my rust had also crept into the centre nut/cotter key area a bit.

Here is the story of my hub rust issue 13,000 km later:

Back after I purchased my Patriot it was throwing rusty water out of the wheel centres, the Jeep button area of the wheel. It was this forum that educated me about the hub rust issue and I removed all my wheels, wire brushed and used air and brake cleaner to remove any rust (there was some on a brand new, off the lot vehicle).

Then we treated all four hubs/behind the wheel areas/brake drum/whatever to a dressing of Fluid Film.

13,000 km later we inspected after pulling those wheels for the rotation.
Zero rust, none, nada. All areas remain coated with Fluid Film and everything looks peachy keen.

The Fluid Film had crept and all areas were covered, so much so that we didn't bother to re-spray.

This is Metaxa reporting in from the temperate rain forest known as the east coast of Vancouver Island where everything rusts because, trust me, rust never sleeps.
So, here I am after 28,000 kms.
Just finished my second warranty oil change, tire rotation, visual of stuff.

All wheels off and close inspection of the hubs, the flange, keeper nut, cotter key, etc show absolutely no signs of any kind of rust whatsoever.
Its obvious the Fluid Film is still there and doing its job.

This vehicle has been run in our rainy, wet winter, lots of deep puddles on the back roads, slush, some snow and now well into summer with a single application of Fluid film on those hubs.

If you were the most anal, OCD kind of guy about your hubs...this is how you'd want them to look.

Even my mechanic was impressed (and he is the one that turned me on to Fluid Film)...he says its impossible for a vehicle to go 28,000 km without some rust, somewhere. I have one spot on one of my door hinge assembly (minor on a working surface) and a tiny bit where a rock chipped some paint on the rear passenger lower control arm mount.
Period. His employee, an Irish fellow who comes to him from being an aircraft mechanic also states he's never seen this before...none of us can find any rust of any sort anywhere on this vehicle except the two noted spots...both fixed now.

Just saying...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Would anti-seize compound aka "Never Seize" work just as well? That's what I generally put around the outside of the hub so wheel doesn't get stuck on with corrosion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am also a huge fan of the fluid film. We used to get it by the gallon to brush on snow plows and salt spreaders. It is hood stuff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts