Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to avoid problems with the TIPM I bought the MOPAR wiring harness, 82209280AD, for my 2014 Patriot. I'd read here that it gets power from a plug/wire behind the driver's side tail light, so I figured this was going to be an easy install. I ripped open the plastic bag to find an octopus, with multiple plugs. The instructions show the wiring running up to the front of the vehicle. When I say "show", I mean it. There are no written instructions, just 9 pages and 34 steps of line drawings, including stick figures having a tug of war. I probably can figure out how to route the wiring up to the front, but after that the line drawings are clear as mud as far as where all the plugs go. I tried to find a YouTube or instructions with photos, but all I can find are instructions for non-MOPAR harnesses. Has anyone installed this beast?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I did the one on my '08. the harness that goes to the LH tail light ass'y--you need to pull the grommet that goes into the body--that's where you'll find that red wire with a tracer stripe--can't recall the color. The pictures are not up to what this old tech writer would suggest, but, oh well. If you need help, drop by and I'll help you...it's probably less than 2400 miles....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I'll consider that offer...
Seriously, I've had the rear light off and found the wire, although I didn't pull off the tape. The instructions that came with the harness make no mention (or view) of this. They show you how to run the wiring under the vehicle, then have a bunch of black and white line drawings apparently showing you where the wire connectors go under the hood. I wasn't standing in front of my car with the instruction sheet in hand, so maybe it would be easier to figure out if I did. But just from looking at the drawings I can't tell if wires are going to the battery, the fuse box, or somewhere else. I'll have to examine it more closely tomorrow.

Well, I did find some photos posted on another site by a guy who installed the harness, so that should help. Here's the instructions that came with the harness. http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209280AC.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Basically, what you're doing is removing the plug(s) from the existing lights, plugging them into the harness and the harness then connects to the lights. It took me a while to figure it all out--once I found what they were "trying" to convey, then it was easy!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I finally figured that out. It looks like it plugs in under the fuse box, then wiring goes to both sides of the battery. Still, I don't understand why they don't use the wire behind the taillight.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Yeah, I finally figured that out. It looks like it plugs in under the fuse box, then wiring goes to both sides of the battery. Still, I don't understand why they don't use the wire behind the taillight.
Me neither...its there, why not use it..

Because of a previous mod I had to make my own trailer wiring harness and I used that wire to both power my trailer lamps and to charge my RV battery on the trailer (when I hook it up).

Works just fine. I was checking my battery, the trailer battery, etc fairly often after I hooked all that up and both are fine ,so the stock alternator doesn't mind also charging a Group 24 RV battery. Trailer is 100% LED too...so not a huge load.

I think the wire back at the tail lamp is fused at 20 amps. Think, not certain.
Its been a while since i did it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts