Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i want to share what i think is a new alternative for lifting pre2011 patriots (i got a 2008).
First i decided to put bigger tires, test fitted some 235/70R16 and realised i would need a lift. Since tires are not cheap...I was looking for a cheaper alternative to stu coils.
Then i found that Moog is selling some replacement springs :
showthread.php?t=290162 (i cannot paste link because i don't have 5 posts)
I compared specs from Moog web site and I ordered the taller ones from rockauto, parts numbers 81480 & 81481 (listed for 2011 lattitude x) EDIT : spring for lattitude x is 1/2" taller than standard 4wd springs AND I found that front is now exactly 1/2 higher than back...so someone who wants a level ride should consider part #81482 for front.
It cost me 170$ CAD + shipping, total 300$ CAD.
Pic before :

Pic with moog springs :

Front springs comparison :

Rear :

Height difference is about 2".
I'm happy with the new heigth and with the way the jeep drives. It feels stiffer than oem but still very comfortable. I can't wait to install those 235's i got...but i'll wait after the alignment is done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, You did it! That's awesome. How's the ride? Like is it bouncier being constant rate springs? Did you put in new struts too?

Post some pics up in the other thread too.
I did not put in new struts...maybe this would have been a good idea but they still look in good shape.
I really like the ride, it feels just right...not bouncier just a little stiffer and still as confortable.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Can we have some measurements to wheel wells and some other low points on your patriot? I'm guessing you must have been sagging a bit to get the 2"?(nvm I see the other post now) But ya that looks great now with that height, just some slightly bigger shoes, not the biggest you can get but something that would be comfortable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can we have some measurements to wheel wells and some other low points on your patriot? I'm guessing you must have been sagging a bit to get the 2"?(nvm I see the other post now) But ya that looks great now with that height, just some slightly bigger shoes, not the biggest you can get but something that would be comfortable.
IF thoses springs are made to keep the exact same height as oem, comparing springs height from moog specs :
Front part number 81484 vs 81480 is about 1.5 inch difference
Rear part number 81485 vs 81481 is about 1 inch difference
For part numbers comparison see post /4 here : http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290162
That would make about .5 inch of sagging for the front and 1inch for the rear.
The only way to know for sure would be to compare my old springs with new springs of the same oem part number....

From ground to wheel arch i got (before the lift) on a non-leveled ground :
FL : 29.5
RL : 30.5
FR : 29.75
RR : 29.5
With new springs (mesured around the same spot I did marks on the ground):
FL : 31
RL : 32.5
FR : 31.75
RR : 32

I did get bigger shoes, 235/70r16 grabber at2, on rubicon wheels.
here is a picture from the test fit when i got the ribicon wheels, before the lift :

I'll get the jeep an aligment then install those new wheels...then i'll take a picture and post it here ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like FDII springs?
They are replacement parts for a 2011 4wd patriot...so i guess it would be about the same as pre2011 FDII.
I'm not sure if someone ever compared pre2011 FDII springs to 2011+ springs.

From Moog catalogue :
part #81490 (Front) is for either 2007-2008 Patriot & compass 4WD or 2011 Patriot & compass FWD (CVT...std trans got a different part number)
part #81480 (front) for 2011 latitude x is .5 taller than other 2011 4wd springs.
Does latitude X model have something different..like something heavier in the front?:confused:
I don't see any moog part number for 2007-2008 fdII so we cant compare specs...

My father got a 2014 patriot 4wd, i'll try to compare height vs mine.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
From ground to wheel arch i got (before the lift) on a non-leveled ground :
FL : 29.5
RL : 30.5
FR : 29.75
RR : 29.5
With new springs (mesured around the same spot I did marks on the ground):
FL : 31
RL : 32.5
FR : 31.75
RR : 32
Okay so I just went out and measured on level ground (my garage floor). With my 2012 FDI Jeep, running 225/65R17 tires, I am sitting at 32" from the floor to the wheel arch in the front on both sides, and in the rear I am sitting at 31.5" on both sides. Given that you are on unsettled ground, if we do some balancing we can say that in the rear you have 32" and in the front you have about 32", conservatively. Given that my Patriot has about 500 pounds of stereo equipment in the trunk, and has the extra weight of wiring in it throughout the body, but has slightly larger tires (equating in perfect theory to about .2 inches of "lift") and that you just installed the coils, (meaning they aren't settled yet), I'd say that we can chalk this one up to that these new MOOG springs are the replacement equivalent of any 2011+ 4x4 Patriot/Compass OEM coils. Which is still pretty neat if you ask me!

Someone please call me out if you see errors in my conclusions, however!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
4WD, the fact that these springs are equivalent to 2011+ is true, which is what he was after. But notice the difference in the coils? I don't think he will settle much over time.

M7T, Thanks a lot for all the information. I'm not sure if I'll ever purchase any myself but at least now the knowledge is out there. Remember to report back every so often and let us know if any sagging or difference in ride occurs.

So this brings us to a more important question.

WHY THE HECK ISN"T MOOG MAKING US SPRING LIFTS?!?!?!

They could literally pull parts off there shelf they already have made and have a kit. Like seriously how many of us would get a MOOG lift kit? I would for the my 2008.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Opinion question for all of you. Do you all think that although I already have the longer OEM coils, could I replace my rear coils and still get rid of some of my sag due to the extra weight in my trunk?? Would these be an overall tougher coil?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Opinion question for all of you. Do you all think that although I already have the longer OEM coils, could I replace my rear coils and still get rid of some of my sag due to the extra weight in my trunk?? Would these be an overall tougher coil?
hard to say without any measurement...but i would not risk the cost and installation time for litte or no improvement.
what i can do is to put some weight in the trunk and measure height difference.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
hard to say without any measurement...but i would not risk the cost and installation time for litte or no improvement.
what i can do is to put some weight in the trunk and measure height difference.
you the man!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm assuming this may work for my 2008 as well.. Currently running an H&R spring that lowers it, but I'm ready to pick the ride back up from all the weight I have in the rear. I've emailed places looking for a constant rate spring made for the load I carrier and they all want $300+

I wonder how it would hold up to having 500 lbs of weight in the rear with this set up.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
So from what i have read, if i am looking for a lift for my 2015 then these springs wont do anything for me? Right?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm assuming this may work for my 2008 as well.. Currently running an H&R spring that lowers it, but I'm ready to pick the ride back up from all the weight I have in the rear. I've emailed places looking for a constant rate spring made for the load I carrier and they all want $300+

I wonder how it would hold up to having 500 lbs of weight in the rear with this set up.
today's experiment results....with 125 pounds in the trunk, the rear went down 1/4".

1 - 20 of 69 Posts