Jeep Patriot Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,732 Posts
Ya need to press a bit to get it up to speed, but it's a rather light pedal and I have to press harder on the accelerators in either of my parents' V8-equipped 3/4-ton pickups to keep up speed than I do in my little Patriot. Really it's rather zippy for a Jeep. Kinda sad how many people expect a sub-20k 4x4 to have Hellcat power and Cadillac leather.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ya need to press a bit to get it up to speed, but it's a rather light pedal and I have to press harder on the accelerators in either of my parents' V8-equipped 3/4-ton pickups to keep up speed than I do in my little Patriot. Really it's rather zippy for a Jeep. Kinda sad how many people expect a sub-20k 4x4 to have Hellcat power and Cadillac leather.
I came from a Trailblazer that was a tank compared to the Patriot. Driving it today, got a little annoyed with the light pedal, nothing wrong with expecting some more acceleration when moving in-between lanes on the freeway. The sticker on mine was $25k Chrysler could have put Cadillac leather in the jeep to make even better, but they choose to put in a lower grade version of it in, why? Would it hurt profits? No, would they need new tooling? No, in fact the same shape and design, expect for bumper changes has been on the Patriot for the past 10 years, this is Chrysler taking profits over quality. I like my Patriot nothing wrong with me wanting to make customized for me....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep u gotta get the boot into the gas to get Patriot going. It builds torque in a progressive way and once u get rolling Patriot steams along good. The intention was not to put Caddy leather in Patriot. Patriot was designed as a low price point Jeep that could do what Jeeps are good for. Expensive leather is not easy to clean or maintain, which would be contrary to the goal of Patriot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last night I read through the 13 pages of Spacepoliceman’s thread on his attempt to make his patriot faster.

I’ve decided the next avenue I want to take is make my jeep faster, key word being faster not fast.

From what I can tell Sotito had a custom turbo on his blue patriot, but then disappeared before giving a detailed description of what to do, both on this forum and the caliber forums.

Alainsrt4 Has a 5 speed Compass, wasn't turbo'd but was tuned with an extra PCM from B&G motor sports.

It was posted on here a while ago (and I’ve made mention of it as well) that Road Race Motorsports has a Turbo kit for the Lancers with the CVT.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23_24&products_id=609

I emailed them yesterday about adapting the Kit for the MK platform. I received an email today about that. It was very positive!

Yes it can be adapted if the engines are the same. This is done all the time. In fact, the price will be $200 less because there are things you will need to do. What exactly, I am not sure since the Compass is not one that We have a adapted. Still it will be a good place to start. let us know. Contact me if you want to know more

So the purpose of this thread is:

Pool information together about what CVT, AWD parts ect are the same or similar to the Lancers.

This thread is NOT TO:

Say the CVT can’t handle it
Is a stupid idea and go buy a Caliber SRT 4 or <insert fast vehicle here>
Be negative.

Any modification can cause problems, so knowing that here we go.

The Lancer model 2012 in North America is available with the AWC system. It was first introduced in 2012 on the Lancer SE and for 2013, it is available on both the SE and the GT models (Only available on the "SE" in North America). The Lancer AWC models are equipped with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and the GT has paddle shifters simulating 6 speeds. They have the 2.4 liter Mivec engine producing 168 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 167 lb.ft torque @ 4100 rpm.

*From Wikipedia

So parts that are similar at least to me are the engine

4B12 Model, Looking Wikipedia it seems Mitsubishi modified some small things on the motor but nothing crazy.

CVT appears to be the same and AWD system looks to be the same as well.

The have an auxiliary CVT transmission cooler, which would work for all of us CVT people turbo or not.

So what does everyone thing, worthy of a 4500$ bill, maybe not for some, but it seems like a reputable system, and I can't help but think maybe it would help all MK's offroad too:pepper:

Please contribute any relevant information you have, I've told the company I would be posting on the forums here about this kit. The more interest the better.
Hey, 2015 2.4 4x4 cvt latitude here, so I kind of bought a caliber srt4 turbo, and I’m gonna see if I can slap it on, how much horse do you think the stock drivetrain could handle?

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
Hey, 2015 2.4 4x4 cvt latitude here, so I kind of bought a caliber srt4 turbo, and I’m gonna see if I can slap it on, how much horse do you think the stock drivetrain could handle?
If you have the FDII (CVT) it's rated for 250nm / 184 ftbs, if you have the FDI 6 speed automatic it's rated for 230nm/170ftlbs.

The engine is rated at 165 ftlbs peak in stock configuration, so with either transmission and the SRT turbo you should be able to go from 0 to grenade in less than 10 seconds but I could be wrong. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
I've seen other threads and posts on here where others have tried to mount a turbo, but AFAIK no one has ever reported back that they were successful. I hope you are the first!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts