Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I read through the 13 pages of Spacepoliceman’s thread on his attempt to make his patriot faster.

I’ve decided the next avenue I want to take is make my jeep faster, key word being faster not fast.

From what I can tell Sotito had a custom turbo on his blue patriot, but then disappeared before giving a detailed description of what to do, both on this forum and the caliber forums.

Alainsrt4 Has a 5 speed Compass, wasn't turbo'd but was tuned with an extra PCM from B&G motor sports.

It was posted on here a while ago (and I’ve made mention of it as well) that Road Race Motorsports has a Turbo kit for the Lancers with the CVT.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23_24&products_id=609

I emailed them yesterday about adapting the Kit for the MK platform. I received an email today about that. It was very positive!

Yes it can be adapted if the engines are the same. This is done all the time. In fact, the price will be $200 less because there are things you will need to do. What exactly, I am not sure since the Compass is not one that We have a adapted. Still it will be a good place to start. let us know. Contact me if you want to know more

So the purpose of this thread is:

Pool information together about what CVT, AWD parts ect are the same or similar to the Lancers.

This thread is NOT TO:

Say the CVT can’t handle it
Is a stupid idea and go buy a Caliber SRT 4 or <insert fast vehicle here>
Be negative.

Any modification can cause problems, so knowing that here we go.

The Lancer model 2012 in North America is available with the AWC system. It was first introduced in 2012 on the Lancer SE and for 2013, it is available on both the SE and the GT models (Only available on the "SE" in North America). The Lancer AWC models are equipped with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and the GT has paddle shifters simulating 6 speeds. They have the 2.4 liter Mivec engine producing 168 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 167 lb.ft torque @ 4100 rpm.

*From Wikipedia

So parts that are similar at least to me are the engine

4B12 Model, Looking Wikipedia it seems Mitsubishi modified some small things on the motor but nothing crazy.

CVT appears to be the same and AWD system looks to be the same as well.

The have an auxiliary CVT transmission cooler, which would work for all of us CVT people turbo or not.

So what does everyone thing, worthy of a 4500$ bill, maybe not for some, but it seems like a reputable system, and I can't help but think maybe it would help all MK's offroad too:pepper:

Please contribute any relevant information you have, I've told the company I would be posting on the forums here about this kit. The more interest the better.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I don't think it's stupid, and I'm sure it can be adapted to work. My issue is cost; $4500 + install is too expensive (for me anyway) for the small amount of boost that the CVT can handle.

I know I've mentioned it a couple of times in the past, but I'd like to see an electric supercharger kit (with a real compressor) for it. Like this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7003980-My-FRS-Electric-Supercharger-included

Not trying to throw cold water, just tossing out another option to explore.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,732 Posts
I've wanted to supercharge mine, and were it not for such things being apparently against SCORE regulations, I would. I'm familiar with the turbo kit being available for the CVT-equipped Lancer, but not sure if there's a supercharger available for our engines. However, I have heard that such a modification will require a much larger tranny cooler than usual(something I'll likely need anyways), due to the CVT needing it a bit more. That being said, 'twill be cool to see your progress on this, and looking forward to seeing you set the Canadian off-road Patriot/Compass speed record, eh. :p ;)

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I will definitely be contributing to this thread in the spring when I do my "remodel" of my jeep. I will be looking at making it as fast as possible.

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
I think turbo would be just fine. The problem with he cvt is it cant handle a bunch of power at once. what if you just grab a larger turbo, with more lag, and set it's boost to 5-6psi. that way maybe it would only kick in at around 3k-4k rpm, just around peak hp. since the vehicle is already moving at a good speed, it wont be a mass amount of force on the cvt as compared to a small turbo that spools up quickly and dies out at 4k rpm.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
For reference: pics of a stock Lancer CVT (mfgr unknown, probably JATCO)

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...39-va-f-s-08-lancer-cvt-transmission-45k.html

Discussion confirming that Lancers have a JATCO CVT:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tranny-drivetrain-tech/454687-cvt-oil.html

Discussion re: CVTs with turbo, people have been running them for years now, and heat (NOT torque) is the limiting factor in CVT lifespan:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...d-induction-tech/527430-cvt-turbo-update.html

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
Discussion re: CVTs with turbo, people have been running them for years now, and heat (NOT torque) is the limiting factor in CVT lifespan:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...d-induction-tech/527430-cvt-turbo-update.html
Didn't get through the entire thread yet, but apparently the CVT can handle a lot of torque provided it's not transitioning (i.e. in Drive). The anti-vibration algorithm was interesting, guess that's the reason why these things are slow off the line.

Thanks nth256,very good find!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Didn't get through the entire thread yet, but apparently the CVT can handle a lot of torque provided it's not transitioning (i.e. in Drive). The anti-vibration algorithm was interesting, guess that's the reason why these things are slow off the line.

My pleasure! I hope this helps out.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Having owned a 2008 Lancer GT, a 2008 Lancer Evo X, and a 2010 Outlander GT, I am familiar with the Mitsubishi platform. The turbo kit for CVT lancers should owkr with very littel modification at all. Some of hte tubing may have to be routed differently due to different under hood space, but the rest is all the same. You can pop the plastic cover off your Compass and snap it right into place on a 2.4 Lancer.
Heat is the enemy of the CVT. this forum should be all too familiar with that already. The dreaded CVT overheat light, whining trans, and all that. As far as I know Mitsubishi does not suffer from this issue because they use a real transmission cooler on their CVT equipped vehicles. You will need to get one and figure out it's install on the Patriot. That to me will be the trickiest part. Just squeezing that thing in somewhere will not be easy. There isn't any room left in the radiator support of the compass or patriot.
I got rid of both Lancers prior to purchasing my Patriot, so I connot confirm if the Lancer exhaust manifold will interchange. It might take a little shade tree engineering to either build your own manifold or re-route the exhaust to work with the RRM manifold. Their manifold should bolt right on, but may have the outlet pointed the wrong way.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

What you are saying makes sense, and is talked about in this thread:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...project-dark-falcon-continuous-boost-cvt.html

So, autostick CVT's might be good, for FDII people maybe not so much, other than leaving it in [L] without 4x4 lock that is kinda like first gear.

Good to hear that this isn't such a hard thing to possibly do after all.

One thing that may prolong the life of the CVT is its programming. From what I've noticed. If you try to launch with revving the engine up with your foot on the brake, it launches like crap, almost like there is torque limiting software. A simple full throttle launch without using the brake results in a quicker take off. Maybe the transmission is smart. I really need to look into the tranny cooler for my compass.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Heat is the enemy of the CVT. this forum should be all too familiar with that already. The dreaded CVT overheat light, whining trans, and all that. As far as I know Mitsubishi does not suffer from this issue because they use a real transmission cooler on their CVT equipped vehicles. You will need to get one and figure out it's install on the Patriot. That to me will be the trickiest part. Just squeezing that thing in somewhere will not be easy. There isn't any room left in the radiator support of the compass or patriot.
I really need to look into the tranny cooler for my compass.
Mount the tranny cooler to the underside of the hood, cut an appropriately-sized hole for the cooler to vent thru, mount a small radiator fan to the bottom of the cooler to blow up and out, and add a small gurney flap in front of the tranny-cooler opening to increase heat extraction at speed, as well as to help deflect debris.

What? I never claimed to have great ideas... :D

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mount the tranny cooler to the underside of the hood, cut an appropriately-sized hole for the cooler to vent thru, mount a small radiator fan to the bottom of the cooler to blow up and out, and add a small gurney flap in front of the tranny-cooler opening to increase heat extraction at speed, as well as to help deflect debris.

What? I never claimed to have great ideas... :D
This is where the rocky road hood vents come in handy!

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,732 Posts
Whoa, good idea!!!! Maybe use one louver for cooling the CVT tranny cooler, and the other for the engine. Or just put the tranny cooler vent someplace it can use part of both. Depends on the install itself. In case you need reference to how they look on the underside......

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is good for fdi guys not so much for fdii. People. The only autostick type function I have is in the fdii low range mode.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To get the best acceleration I start out in L. No 4x4 lock then pop it into drive gives the best performance. From a roll if I put it in low 4x4 unlocked and mash the gas it downshifts much faster than just leaving it in D it probably isn't healthy for the trans but who knows

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
To get the best acceleration I start out in L. No 4x4 lock then pop it into drive gives the best performance. From a roll if I put it in low 4x4 unlocked and mash the gas it downshifts much faster than just leaving it in D it probably isn't healthy for the trans but who knows
On the jeep forum the Jeep Engineers posted you can shift to Low at any time and the transmission won't hurt itself. The Low mode doesn't physically do anything except change throttle profiles, BLD sensitivity and hill decent.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,732 Posts
Brake Lock Differential. I think it applies brakes to lock in the differential, which would be cool on a Wrangler, but on something with as little applicable power as a Patriot/Compass, it can be a little annoying to say the least.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts