• No

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it should be raised or kept the same? I am having trouble seeing the reasoning behind wanting an increase.

·
Premium Member
10,961 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I voted no, but I think that typical minimum wage jobs should pay more than minimum wage to people who are not the typical minimum wage employees. Eg. Immigrants from other countries that have to work at fast food places and have a family to support.
An example of typical minimum wage employee would be a student in high school that has no real work experience.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I do not believe govt should control wages, at all.

Most minimum wage jobs could be eliminated with technology, machines, etc. And will be if the cost gets too high. Minimum wage jobs are ENTRY LEVEL, not careers, and heck there are not enough jobs for kids today as it is.

What the problem is today, is there are not enough good jobs, middle class type jobs, so folks with families are working these entry level jobs. Working 2 or 3 part time jobs rather than full time is tough, but not a minimum wage issue. It's an overall economic issue, and this high unemployment looks like it will be around for awhile.

More full time jobs are being changed to part time too, so they do not have to comply with Obama Care regulations.

If you go back, the only reason we ever had employer health insurance was due to govt wage controls, When the govt set the wages, the companies had no way to compete for labor, so the govt allowed them to add benefits. If not for that, we'd all just pay for health care ourselves, rather than the need to have insurance. Although we might carry some for the really high cost health care items.

The really funny thing is, most of the problems we have today, that the govt wants to help us with, were caused by govt in the first place.

·
Seriously Addicted
4,074 Posts
I voted yes only because the minimum wage needs to keep up with the cost of living.

It is laughable that fast food employees are asking for 15 dollars an hour. Wage is determined by many factors that include complexity of the job and skill required. At a maximum 9 dollars an hour would be the highest i could agree with.

·
Seriously Addicted
4,074 Posts
I do not believe govt should control wages, at all.

Most minimum wage jobs could be eliminated with technology, machines, etc. And will be if the cost gets too high. Minimum wage jobs are ENTRY LEVEL, not careers, and heck there are not enough jobs for kids today as it is.

What the problem is today, is there are not enough good jobs, middle class type jobs, so folks with families are working these entry level jobs. Working 2 or 3 part time jobs rather than full time is tough, but not a minimum wage issue. It's an overall economic issue, and this high unemployment looks like it will be around for awhile.

More full time jobs are being changed to part time too, so they do not have to comply with Obama Care regulations.

If you go back, the only reason we ever had employer health insurance was due to govt wage controls, When the govt set the wages, the companies had no way to compete for labor, so the govt allowed them to add benefits. If not for that, we'd all just pay for health care ourselves, rather than the need to have insurance. Although we might carry some for the really high cost health care items.

The really funny thing is, most of the problems we have today, that the govt wants to help us with, were caused by govt in the first place.

I totally agree with you Dixie.. My mother in law works for a grocery store and has for most of her life. She is trying to get on with her company's health insurance but cannot get full time employment so she has no health insurance. So people like her are forced to choose between bills and health insurance.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
No and setting a minimum wage is not the role of the Federal government. Dixie covered the reasons....

·
Premium Member
10,961 Posts
May not be the role of the federal government but apparently it is. Funny how folks think that low skilled entry level jobs are only supposed to be for kids however in reality the bulk of those jobs hire adults whom cannot find better employment thus end up on the government gravy train because those jobs cannot sustain anything other than a single modest persons lifestyle.

·
Seriously Addicted
4,074 Posts
May not be the role of the federal government but apparently it is. Funny how folks think that low skilled entry level jobs are only supposed to be for kids however in reality the bulk of those jobs hire adults whom cannot find better employment thus end up on the government gravy train because those jobs cannot sustain anything other than a single modest persons lifestyle.
Cannot find or choose to not find.

Look at McDonald's report they showed for their average worker's budget. Working 60 hour weeks is insane.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Lots of areas where the Federal government exceeds its authority or doesn't enforce what it is required to uphold. Most learn after a short period of time that you get a skill making your value more than any wage amount set by fiat.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
in reality the bulk of those jobs hire adults whom cannot find better employment
And yet, you, keep telling us how good things are?

The point is, those people should be able to find better jobs, better jobs should be there, and would be, if not for all the Govt help we keep getting.

And just because the economy is bad, you don't do things to make it worse, or to give business incentive to eliminate those jobs.

When you have people running the govt who have never run a business, never hired anyone, never employed anyone, and never had a real job, how do you expect them to understand how things work?

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Those jobs hire adults because adults are available and kids have to be at least 16 in most states due to child labor laws or the employer has to fill out additional paperwork.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say no. I think if people are not making enough money because of minimum wage, they made some bad life decisions. I refuse to pay higher prices at these places because of their decisions. A minimum wage job can support a single person just fine. My roommate for example has student loans, pays me rent and still has money left over for some fun.
If you end up having a kid and are working a min wage job, its your own fault! Nobody forced you to have a kid or forced you not to move up in your career. Even working at a min wage job has room for advancement to maybe a shift manager that makes more and probably enough to even support a kid.
Maybe some of these min wagers should have thought ahead and been more ambitious in their min wage career to earn a better salary to support their kids.

·
Premium Member
10,961 Posts
Some folks always discount the worker who does something many of us do not want to do be it out of necessity or want and use the same phrase if wage comes into the conversation, "don't like it get something better or an education". There are a place for these type of jobs and folks need to realize that there is not, has not, and will never be an abundance of high paying jobs for these folks to aspire and hope to gain employment in.

I'm not saying things are great now, but they are not bad either.

Also stop with the slamming of folks whom work at jobs you deem as "lower than you" by assuming all have made poor choices. Some folks cannot obtain employment in their field for some time for many reasons such as a recession, a glut of job seekers pooling for limited positions, local economics, life issues that cannot be modified, etc.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also stop with the slamming of folks whom work at jobs you deem as "lower than you" by assuming all have made poor choices. Some folks cannot obtain employment in their field for some time for many reasons such as a recession, a glut of job seekers pooling for limited positions, local economics, life issues that cannot be modified, etc.
I am not slamming those folks. I am slamming the people who didn't have the motivation to move up from their min wage salary to at least be a manager or something in these fast food joints. Usually you can move up from min wage in a half of year at work at these companies to promotion. I think there is no reason besides lack of motivation that anyone is making min wage for greater than a year. Even 10-12 dollars an hour for being promoted to manager at mcdonalds is a huge improvement in quality of life.

If these people are making min wage for a long period of time usually they change jobs quicker than they can get promoted or slack too much to move up in life.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You really can't make a career out of min wage. But you can make a career out of a fast food industry by starting at min wage and moving up. If people did this, they wouldn't be making min wage for very long and wouldn't have to deal with being too poor to support themselves.

·
Premium Member
10,961 Posts
I agree - if someone is stuck at $8.00 an hour for a decade something is defiantly wrong. However remember that not every one of the 40-50 employees at the Taco Bell can be a manager at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Minimum wage in my Province is $10.25..I think. In my town no one gets that...most jobs are advertized at $11-12 starting wage.

The dollar you pay for a value menu cheeseburger at McD's is $1.29 up here.

Fair trade I'd say...I'll pay twenty nine cents to ensure an entry level worker can at least afford food.

You guys continue to impress me, however. Constitutional experts, lawyers, civil rights professors, theologians and now economists.

Keep it up..I learn a lot here.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Interesting McDonalds just announced they are eliminating the dollar menu. States are not limited towards setting up a minimum wage in our system and many do. Like Canada there are regional differences and many states have higher minimum wages. No it is not a power granted by the constitution but supreme courts extended the commerce clause to not overturn what congress passed. As for the economic impacts on marginal workers the unemployment numbers indicate too many people are chasing those minimum wage jobs. Like most parents of a teenager the income they receive is less than the cost and inconvenience of getting that teen to their job but my daughter is learning work skills. It took her 4 months and my son speaking with his former boss and store manager to get this job. Yes it is that tough here. Now where my son is going to school the prevailing wage is above minimum and he has his pick of jobs including in his chosen career so Adam Smith's invisible hand determines pay rates...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts