Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Bump!!! Anybody making plans to come to Blessing? I don't know that I'll be at opening weekend at the dunes, but not gonna miss Blessing of the Jeeps if I can help it. Would be nice to see some of y'all there.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
7.5hrs is a long way...probably not as that's right around our anniversary as well. Unless she'd like to go camping and visit Traverse City or something and go to that on Saturday. Might be able to take a half day or the whole day on Friday off and drive down that night. I'll see what the Mrs says:D.

I think I could do the whole thing except maybe the first sand hill climb...Do they have turnouts to go around hard obstacles?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not sure about the obstacles at the Blessing itself. The group I go with, Michigan Jeepers, gets there an hour or two before the Blessing ceremony, checks out vendor row, gets their t-shirts, stickers, etc., gathers in front of the podium for the ceremony, then heads to nearby Twisted Trails for wheeling. There should be a way to go around harder stuff, but in the trails themselves I was able to take everything ok with SR-A's and stock height. Maybe we just didn't go through anything too tricky though, idk.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Side note, getting on the Silver Lake Sand Dunes this year will require not only the park pass on your license plate and the $15 or so ORV permit like usual, but also the ORV trail permit. Both ORV stickers bought together at a Michigan sport shop will run $36.25 or so, and I think the park pass for the license plate runs $5-$10.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Side note, getting on the Silver Lake Sand Dunes this year will require not only the park pass on your license plate and the $15 or so ORV permit like usual, but also the ORV trail permit. Both ORV stickers bought together at a Michigan sport shop will run $36.25 or so, and I think the park pass for the license plate runs $5-$10.
You heading up there this year?

The only time I've ever gone, we let the air out of our tires but forgot to fill them back up. If I end up going with some friends this year like I want to, I'll have to remember to bring my mini-compressor. It's a bit pricey, though. We'll see if I end up going.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not sure if I'm going to opening weekend, but I'm planning on going to the prerunner invasion on May 9th. Gonna be fun working something in just a week after Blessing. Maybe you could look into coming to some of these events.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Wait there are 3 passes? I bought the Michigan parks sticker for my license plate. But then there's one for ORV trails in general and one for the dunes? They ticket people for that or just stop people and ask them to buy at the entrance? They sell the flags there too? Or are they cheaper to buy ahead of time?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The ORV permits can be bought at the dunes or at pretty much any place you buy hunting licenses(sports shops, Walmart maybe, etc.). Used to be to get into the dunes you had to have the park pass and a regular ORV sticker. The regular ORV sticker basically just gets stuck to the back end of your rig and lets folks know you have a "registered" ORV. They don't even take vehicle info to sell it to you, just a matter of checking your driver's license. The other sticker is the ORV "trail" permit, which from what I know is for state-owned trail locations. Not sure where exactly any such location is, but now that trail permit is also required for the dunes. It's supposed to be a way to raise more money to help the DNR do their job.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
The ORV permits can be bought at the dunes or at pretty much any place you buy hunting licenses(sports shops, Walmart maybe, etc.). Used to be to get into the dunes you had to have the park pass and a regular ORV sticker. The regular ORV sticker basically just gets stuck to the back end of your rig and lets folks know you have a "registered" ORV. They don't even take vehicle info to sell it to you, just a matter of checking your driver's license. The other sticker is the ORV "trail" permit, which from what I know is for state-owned trail locations. Not sure where exactly any such location is, but now that trail permit is also required for the dunes. It's supposed to be a way to raise more money to help the DNR do their job.
I thought the vehicle registration took place of the ORV vehicle registration, but I guess if those funds go to the DNR instead of the county highway or something I guess it makes sense...The ORV trail sticker makes sense. Tons of those up here, most people just drive on them anyways as they are usually an access road to somewhere and an ORV trail as well. Although the ones right alongside the highway I guess would be ORV trails only.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, the state already has your vehicle info, which would explain why they don't need that when checking your license and selling the permit, but ORV registration basically means your vehicle is recognized by the state as being used for off-road purposes and lets you onto certain trails and whatnot, as opposed to the expensive license plates we all love paying for anyways :p which registers the vehicle for use on city/county/state/US/interstate roads. That's how I understand it anyways. Could be a little off.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's what I was going for. Just need to make sure your ORV stickers are somewhere on the rearmost section of the vehicle, aka liftgate or bumper. I keep space reserved in the top corners of the back window for mine.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Blessing of the Jeeps is in a little less than 4 weeks. Convoy will meet in the Plumb's parking lot in Newaygo on the afternoon of May 1st and head up to Twisted Trails. Check the event links posted earlier in this thread for more info. There's also a Michigan Jeepers facebook page instead of the non-members facebook group.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Crunch time is here, y'all. Blessing of the Jeeps is in 2 1/2 weeks, so if anybody's coming, now would be a prudent time to look into accomodations. There might still be camping spots open at Twisted Trails, but I can't say for sure. Here's the link to one of the facebook events: https://www.facebook.com/events/402226273270468/

Also, the Prerunner invasion is coming up at Silver Lake Sand Dunes on May 9th. https://www.facebook.com/events/415561298594092/ I'm aware that that's Mother's Day weekend, so if none of you show up I won't hold a grudge. This one isn't exclusively a Jeep event, but there will be plenty of cool off-road rigs, including specialized "pre-runner" rigs(specially designed to handle Baja-type terrain at higher-than-usual speeds).

I'll post more info on later events again in another few weeks, as they get closer.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quick reminder to anybody who hasn't responded to this thread but may or may not be interested, Blessing of the Jeeps is now officially one week away. Here's the link to the facebook event so y'all know when the convoy meet times are and where many Jeepers including myself will be camping https://www.facebook.com/events/402226273270468/ and here's the info link from the website of the group that hosts the Blessing event every year. http://cadillacjeepers.com/jeep-blessing/ If everybody's busy, or can't afford to come, or anything like that, so be it. Just keeping everybody up to date.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Bump!!!! Four days until the convoy to Blessing. Excitement's building, and probably not just for me, lol. A few different groups have campsites reserved, and the non-powered sites run $5/night. Then it's another $5 to get into Blessing, and the cost to wheel later on at Twisted Trails is $15 per adult(16+), $10 per kid 9-15, and anybody under 9 gets in free, according to their website.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Next Michigan Jeepers event is coming up soon https://www.facebook.com/events/749813388467309/ Currently says late June, but will probably be moved to early/mid July soon due to scheduling conflicts. Would be nice to see other Patriots there, but I get it if nobody can make it. Seems I'm the only one really out this way, lol.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts