Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a month or so ago our Patriot suddenly started rattling and making a pretty loud metallic noise when driving over bumps (small ones enough to cause this), while on highway its fine. It's heard inside as well, while more muffled of course. But when opening the window it sounds more or less exactly like when you drive around with a empty trailer on. Metallic clinking and clonking...

Sound stops as soon as you lightly apply the brakes, first I thought it was only coming from the passenger side wheel well but when recorded the video I realized it seems to come from both sides or just center of the rear end. I removed the passenger side wheel to check, crawled under it, secured the heat shield for the muffler, can't find anything loose.

Discs and pads, shocks and struts as well as sway bar bushings were all swapped last autumn. Sway bar seems solid and I can't find anything else either that moves or is loose when crawling under trying to shake stuff and poke around... car jacked up or on the ground, nothing seems loose.

I tried to make a video on a bumpy patch of road. iPhone picks up quite a lot of other noises as well, I'll try to filter the audio later on to make it more clear which sound it's generating. But in the meantime I'll upload it as is to see if someone here can pinpoint it right away.

VIDEOLINK: Jeep rattles.mov

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,397 Posts
Did you check the tightness of the brake caliper bolts? If the noise goes away when the brakes are applied then It probably has something to do with the brakes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi. I had a similar issue months ago; a metallic rattle over bumps or driving on rough/uneven ways. No rattle on flat ways. Rattle stopped when brake was applied (Even a slight braking, stopped it). It was on front axle.

It was because a defective/bad quality brake pads: The pad did not settle correctly, leaving some gap were the metallic shim hit the caliper repeatedly, doing that metallic rattle.

After changing the pads again, the brake pins (Just in case), and machined rotors, issue was solved.

The "bad" pads were brembo ones (Supposed not to be bad, but I had bad luck). The ones that solved the issue are Raybestos EHT.

With the bad pads I was able to slighly reproduce rattling by moving the pads (Car stoped and brakes cold) with the hand. It was a milimetric movement between the pad and the caliper that rattled

Other cause could be a bad swaybar bushing, but looks like a brake related as it stops when braking.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
How many miles on the unit this is quite a common issue with these vehicles I have found it most commonly been lower control arm that connects to the rear frame. Lift the vehicle try to move the tire in and out and listen for or feel for a slight amount of movement it’s easier with two people as on e can do the moving and the other the checking. I have done several of these also check to see if the lateral control link has gone these have and issue with the inner rubber separating from the outer sleeve and they are almost impossible to get out once they go I have had to cut everyone out with a cutting torch miserable job with the gas tank right there. Lastly it could be what I need to change on my current Patriot it’s the upper control arm that attaches at the top of the wheel hub to the top of the sub frame. This looks like it will be an interesting job as well as it’s very hard to get at the inner bolt and it is seized on there really well. Any of these that have play in them will cause a clunking sound going over bumps and such mine makes noise going over curb enter aces and slow bumps yet is quite hard to hear when going over bumps at 20-25 mph. The tell tale for the small dog bone shaped piece that controls the lateral movement is usually gone when you can visually see it touching one side of the bracket mount that retains it indicating that it has separated. Hope this helps people diagnose some of the rear clunking issues

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! The car has 135.000km on the odo. I did check the left wheel for lateral play, seemed solid. I'm no expert though so I might have to jack it up again and check while having a second person help me out. Same goes for the calipers, rear passenger side wasn't loose, as in that it could be moved by hand, but I might not have checked thoroughly enough. I might very well just have been expecting/searching for more play or looseness than what's really needed to cause the rattle. It just feels like something is moving quite a lot, to describe it more precisely...

When driving with the window down it sounds more or less like you'd take a M16 or larger bolt, put a washer and nut on it and tighten so that there's around an inch of play on the thread. Shake it up and down so that the washer moves from back and forth between the bolt head and the nut. And the noise is the same whether you drive over a patched piece of asphalt on the road that's raised 1/2" or over a large gravel road bump.... and as soon as I touch the brakes, even a tiny bit it, it goes quiet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update on this, I had the car to a mechanic to look it over. Turns out that the lower rear shock absorber bushings are worn out. The weirdest thing though is that I had them changed last autumn along with new springs and roll bar bushings, only had around 7000 km on them. I cannot understand how they wore down this quickly nor how somebody can sell such low quality stuff.

Got some new parts coming now and will be replacing shocks once again and at the same time have them install new Rear Toe Links, Rear Upper and Lower Lateral Links along with Rear Trailing Arm Bushings. Let's hope that this will take care of the noise, as well as keep the whole rear end nice and working for many more miles to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a similar rattle on my 2012 Patriot that only occurs on gravel roads and goes away as soon as you lightly touch the brakes. From what I've read it's likely coming form the brakes. Did replacing the shock's lower busing fix your rattle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever solve this rattling issue? I have the exact same thing as you describe on my Chrysler minivan. I had my brakes changed and had this rattle that went away when pressing on the brake. They inspected afterwards and said they are fine nothing loose. Still got the rattle, it sounds awful when driving around to the point i try and press the brakes when going over bumps in the downtown.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back to this, I had a shop fix it on my rear passenger side last autumn. I finally found a "way" to recreate, comically by being a tire kicker and kicking the rear tire when car is still (handbrake on or off didn't matter). A shop finally fixed it, but now a year later it's occurring on the drivers side rear tire. Unfortunately the guys at the shop can't remember what they did that finally fixed it as I had them replace and try a lot of stuff before finally getting rid of it. And well it's a year since and service lots of cars in that place, so I do understand that they can't recall what it was.

Back to the drivers side now. With the car still and in Park, when I kick it firmly on the rubber side wall and I get a metallic "clinging" sound (more of a clinging sound than a clonk). As described above kinda reminds me of a big loose washer moving back and forth on a large bolt, hitting the bolt head and the nut respectively.

Had the same shop that fixed it on the left rear wheel last year shim the brake pads, look at the handbrake shoe+springs and replace the caliper slide pins just the other day but that didn't help. So I decided I'll investigate it further myself before having them look at again and then with the sound localized hopefully fix the problem the next time I drop it off.

Next up will be the following troubleshoot procedure:
1. Jack it up and "kickin the tire" 😂, if it rattles when tire and suspension is not under pressure then ->
2. Remove tire, secure brake disc without wheel on and start hitting and knocking with a rubber mallet to see if I can localize it with the wheel out of the way.

I think it's got to be possible to find it as, the shop finally fixed it on the other rear wheel (after lots of time and effort). And also as the "clinging" is so distinct and now I have a way of recreating it with the car standing still.

I'll post an update here as soon as I've had time to investigate and solve it once and for all!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay, investigated this further over the weekend. Seems that it's not the same thing on my drivers side rear wheel that's causing rattle, but none the less I figured out what it was. Two things,

First one, on ABS sensor wire there's two metal clips that had rusted apart, part of them still bolted down and the rest of the clips that's crimped around the wire was rattling around making a clinging noise on bumps and uneven road. I removed the broken metal clips, both from frame/suspension parts and from the wire dangling about and used zip ties to secure it to the same locations where the clips had been.

Second one was a really standard rattle problem as also mentioned above by Carlos Matz... shims on the brake pads weren't good enough and the inner pad is jumping around. I'll have my regular shop look at it next week and replace pads on the same time on both rear wheels.

That's that and should hopefully be a quiet ride after that. Hope this helps someone looking for annoying clanking and rattling around the rear wheels.
Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Art Tints and shades

Wood Automotive tire Fender Bumper Hood

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts