Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, ill try not to bore you with my opinion,
2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 2.4L with 145,000 miles Manual 5 speed transmission.

1. Cruise quit
2. wipers stay on unless I hit intermittent after using wipers
3. wheel bearings on all four wheels went bad.
4. ABS, Brake and traction lights stay on. I've just ordered all four sensors.
5. Speedo stopped but bounces when waiting for light with turn signals on.
6. airbag light just started coming on sometimes.

Solutions, as stated I've ordered speed sensors for all wheels.
Replaced bearings and then had to replace all four complete hubs the second time because two front failed again.
Replaced brakes, struts and rotors.
Replaced a arms and bushings on both sides including ball joints.
Purchased but not installed yet, the jumper shaft on passenger front.
Replaced drive axle on both sides.

Question.
Will the lights go out after I install all new speed sensor?
Will the speedo work or is there another sensor for that?
I am installing a new clock spring this weekend. Will that correct Cruise, Airbag light and wiper issues?

·
7,712 Posts
Question.
Will the lights go out after I install all new speed sensor?
Will the speedo work or is there another sensor for that?
I am installing a new clock spring this weekend. Will that correct Cruise, Airbag light and wiper issues?
Gosh, you've had more than your share of problems. I feel guilty.

So for your questions:
1) If the problem was with your sensors, I expect the lights should go out when they're replaced. In my experience with GM products, failing wheel bearings can let the wheel tip into the ABS sensor and chew it up, so depending on the cause, replacing the ABS sensors may only be a temporary fix. Then again, if you've replaced the wheel bearings maybe new sensors are all you need. Hope so.
2) I have no knowledge of speedometers. Can't help you there.
3) I believe the clock spring was a recall item. Check with a dealer before you put out your own money for it. Maybe they'll fix if FFN. Or maybe reach out to JeepCares on this website. They are corporate reps and might be able to tell you from the VIN.

I see you're new. Welcome! We're just a bunch of Patriot owners here to help each other by sharing our experiences and what we know or have learned about our vehicles. There's a lot of folks on here more knowledgeable than I. Maybe they will chime in with better advice than mine.

Please let us know how you make out with your problem(s). Your experience helps us all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. I've been doing my own wrench work for years. I'm getting to be an expert at this vehicle. I'll share what I know when I can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've installed 2 wheel sensors (1 front & 1 rear) on my 2011 and both times the light went away after i replaced the sensor. As for the speedo problem i have not heard of many problems with that system. I would start by checking the Speed sensor connections and then replacing the speed sensor. Just pray it's not a problem with the cluster. As for the wipers it could be a bad relay or your combination switch is starting to go bad.

let us know if the Clock spring fixes your other issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the clock spring and all four sensors today. Found cheap enough on partsgeek. I've read elsewhere that the clock spring is the only thing that's affects the cruise. When the airbag light came on and the wipers started to act up I thought I'd give it a try. I'll post results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The front right was making a noise when rolling. It was louder on turns to the left and quiet in turns to the right. It had no play. The left front had play but no noise. The rear I changed when I learned the history of these bearings and that they usually go after our near 100,000 miles. Rock Auto has the rear for $25 each and I bought the front from AutoZone under my nephew's account and still cost me $230 each. Granted that was the hub assembly and not just then bearing. The diagnostics computer says I have two bad sensor so I ordered all four from parts geek.

Update on the clock spring. I installed it yesterday and the airbag light and windshield wiper problem went away. Cruise still not working but I still need Speedo to get that going.

Good luck on your repair. It's a major task but with minor mechanical know how you can do it yourself at a considerable savings. I've done all my own work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts