Jeep Patriot Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Agreed. It may be "normal" but not insulated properly. I am at 54k miles now and it really hasn't gotten worse for past 15k miles or so. Sometimes it isn't even there any more. Weird.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Goya!

I posted this on 5/30/08:

"I just got home from the dealer with my new Patriot Sport 2WD with the 5 speed. There is a very noticible high pitched whine which peaks in volume at 70mph in 5th gear. Seems to be tranny noise and not tire noise because it is not present in nuetral at that speed. And it vanishes/fades out when throttle is lifted and speed drops to 65 to 68 mph. It also fades out about 72 to 75mph. Is this common? It's quiet other than that. Anyone else experiencing this?"

I got one reply saying his noise vanished at 1500 miles. I'm now at 600 miles but no change yet. It's maddening, the resonant high pitched tone that sounds like it's at about 1khz. What can we do about this? If it were not for the whine, my Patriot would be soooo quiet at speed! I literally can't drive for long at 70mph. It drives me nuts.
I was driving home ( 2010 Patroit 170,000 miles 4x2 manual) and the check engine light came on.checking the engine compartment the only thing wrong was coolant resovour was empty.refilled it and drove home with the radio off,windows closed.noticed the tranny was now whinning in gears 2,3,4,and5 at all speeds.When i got home i changed the tranny oil. at 180,000 miles tranny was gettin whinney again so I thought I will try putting in the Chrysler atfplus 4,...That made the noise worse and I took it to the dealer and was told input shaft bearing bad and needs to be replaced. most peeps would do the tranny repair but not me....Here is what cured my problem...16 ounces of LUCAS SYNTHETIC OIL STABILIZER added to 2.5 qts of AMSOIL MULTI VEHICLE TRANNY FLUID.I have now a tranny that does not whine. A slight growl is hears.Will let you know if anything changes

·
Registered
798 Posts
I was driving home ( 2010 Patroit 170,000 miles 4x2 manual) and the check engine light came on.checking the engine compartment the only thing wrong was coolant resovour was empty.refilled it and drove home with the radio off,windows closed.noticed the tranny was now whinning in gears 2,3,4,and5 at all speeds.When i got home i changed the tranny oil. at 180,000 miles tranny was gettin whinney again so I thought I will try putting in the Chrysler atfplus 4,...That made the noise worse and I took it to the dealer and was told input shaft bearing bad and needs to be replaced. most peeps would do the tranny repair but not me....Here is what cured my problem...16 ounces of LUCAS SYNTHETIC OIL STABILIZER added to 2.5 qts of AMSOIL MULTI VEHICLE TRANNY FLUID.I have now a tranny that does not whine. A slight growl is hears.Will let you know if anything changes

I have read someone on the interwebs, perhaps on this forum or the compass forum, that whoever made the trans, magna i think, advised using a gear oil and not an auto trans fluid. Chrysler/Jeep decided to use the atf+4 for durability they say.

so perhaps it's quieter now but something isn't getting lubes like it should. As you already have the whine and they say it's needing work, then i suppose i agree with what you are trying.

mine whines and just about always has since new +1000 miles. The dealer has told me that it's normal helical gear noise coming from the differential.. that's what their special escalation tech at corporate came back with. i have a printout of it. as i have a lifetime warranty in place, i will just keep using atf+4 or equivalent- there are equivalents and chrysler has a list:

http://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-brands/

when she blows if she blows, then i pay 100$ for them to fix....

I just crack a window if not raining or put the music on high enough to drown it out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/T355.html

in case anyone wants to read up on the manual trans we have....

seems that they moved the work from new york to mexico in 2012 sometime. As i read elsewhere, the workers were not pleased, obviously, so perhaps some of our issues point back to revenge workmanship?

Would be interesting to see which year transmissions whine.

2007-2012???? all quiet? Or once the plant was put on notice did quality go down? when was that notice? did the issues arise around that time? being that the trans has now been built in mexico since at least 2013, any newer models have the whine? Mine is a 2013 but was built in mid 2012 so i am sure i got one that was revenge modified.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattling

on my 2014 I noticed at about 53,000 miles that the rattling/whine started in just idle going away when I push the clutch in. Jeep dealership said it was a worn pressure plate, local mechanics diagnosed it as a take out bearing. Bought a clutch kit, replaced it... still makes the same noise. Jeeps like something that needs to be recalled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2012 Patriot. Ordered it Nov. 2011, accepted delivery Jan 1, 2012. Had to order it because I couldn't find a 5 speed on the lot anywhere. About 38,000 miles transmission started making noise. Took it to the dealer and was told the same thing "normal noise". This visit for my purposed did one thing, It established an initial service record for the problem. Transmission did self destruct a few thousand miles later in April of 2014. Jeep replaced it with a new one (don't know where it was made but the tags on the original tranny were USA). Pictures of transmission that the service tech forwarded to me at my CP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2012 Patriot. Ordered it Nov. 2011, accepted delivery Jan 1, 2012. Had to order it because I couldn't find a 5 speed on the lot anywhere. About 38,000 miles transmission started making noise. Took it to the dealer and was told the same thing "normal noise". This visit for my purposed did one thing, It established an initial service record for the problem. Transmission did self destruct a few thousand miles later in April of 2014. Jeep replaced it with a new one (don't know where it was made but the tags on the original tranny were USA). Pictures of transmission that the service tech forwarded to me at my CP.
Sounds like 2012 was a bad year to own a Patriot with 5 speed!

Mine is long gone. After several rebuilds and a replacement I wasn't interested in any more games. It leaked twice after replacement so I started over with a 2016 6 speed auto.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've got transmission issues again i think. I think it is the same sound i had in 2015. Whine/humming noise on acceleration when i get to about 80km/h. Get off the gas and the noise goes away. Back on the gas and the noise is there. We had a bearing fixed in the transmission that time. Then about a year later we had a problem with first gear and they had to replace that. It's a 2011 with 216,000kms and finally paid off, but now i have a dilemma. Do i take it in to get fixed again, or stop throwing money at it and get something else? Not sure i can afford car payments at the moment. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Latitude w/5-speed. Been an awesome little rig. 105k on it now. Started to whine at about 70k. Worsened for about 10k & leveled off.

Whines on the gas & quiets off the gas. Whine is tied to road speed, not motor revs or which gear is selected. So assuming it's an output shaft in the tranny. Bearing maybe. Gearset maybe. Don't know - because the dealer's told me it's normal. I'm not buying it. None of the other long-term vehicles I've owned have experienced this kind of BS. My '04 Ram (4.7/auto) has 160k on it & runs like it's new! So WTF!!

My friend has a 2011 Ford Escape with over 300k on it. NO GEAR WHINE! I almost bought one, too. Now I wish I had!

Anyway..., I've tried fluid changes every 30k - which I don't object to. Keeping your oil clean is kind of important. But they don't help at all with the whine.

I really like my little Patriot. It fits. It's a great little beast & has been a model of reliability. I'd love to keep it for another 100k. And will if my dealer will fess-up that the whine's not friggin normal, and repair it.

Otherwise - well - at some point it becomes a trust issue, right?

·
7,754 Posts
If it didn't have the whine before and now it does, its a pretty sure bet that's something is wrong. When you drive the same vehicle every day you easily recognize a change that a dealer might not. Chances are if the noise is a problem it will keep getting louder until its undeniable. If not, you'll be glad you didn't spend money chasing gremlins.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My '14 2.0L FWD 5-speed manual whines, starting about 62 and runs all the way up to 75-80, but peaks right at 68-70MPH. IT's had two replacement trannys since I got it a few thousand miles ago. FCA says 'Normal'...... B.S!

·
Registered
798 Posts
mine has whined since almost new- about 800 miles on the odo.

now i am at almost 73,000 miles.

it never got worse. only does it while hitting gas, let off and quiet.

dealership escalated to star case and they said normal diff gear noise.

i have lifetime warranty and it has been there a few times when it was newer for it so it's documented.

not worried.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i do remember reading that chrysler ticked off the workers at the one plant that made these trannies and they stopped making them in usa around 2012. Not sure where my 2013 trans is made but it whines and has since almost new. Dealer was informed by me and they said normal multiple times....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My patriot 08 fwd sport I’ve have about 3 years now reslently development the high pitch noise only under load in 3rd,4th and 5 gear when let off gas it’s not there in nutria is quiet to. Should I pull the plastic skid plate off and change the fluid in the diff and transmission? I got the Jeep at 120k at 175k now noise has only been there for about a week now and is getting louder? Do I need a new transmission soon or differential? I’ve done my oil changes every 5k but have neglected the Jeep. No check engine light to

·
Registered
13 Posts
I made 2 posts on this subject back in 2008. My new '08 Patriot was delivered with the infamous 5-speed wine. Transaxle mount replacement helped a little and I just decided to live with it after that. Returning now to let everyone know that the noise is barely noticiable at 110,000 miles. I'm guessing that the parts 'wore in" over time.

·
Registered
798 Posts
nice. i traded mine in on a 2019 mustang gt which i got rid of shortly afterwards due to quality issues and got a 2019 tacoma OR 4x4. i miss my little blue "jeep jeep" at times. was very cool- 4x4, stick, 4 cylinder. that's a rare bird for sure IMHO.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i still have my 2017 4x4 with automatic trans. so far so good besides a weird grating noise at idle, a weird whirring noise under acceleration on left curves, and a rear leaking cargo light- dealer visit for the light friday. the rest, well, it's been documented as "no problem".

161 - 178 of 178 Posts