Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lack of info out there regarding the Magna T355 tranny and interchange between the 4WD and 2WD versions. I couldn't find a definitive answer online although the question had been asked before. Sadly, I'm here to let the world know they are NOT the same. Although they are both the same transmission number, the case is different on the 4WD versions where the transfer case bolts to it.
It's a real PITA as good used 4WD versions of the manual tranny are rare and expensive while 2WD versions are plentiful and cheap. But looking at them it appears that only the bellhousing half of the case is different and it *should* be possible to swap case halves and get a 2WD version work with a 4WD vehicle.
The trick is finding a good case half to swap because when these go, chunks usually end up falling into the diff section and there's very little clearance between the main diff gear and the case, and they typically blow out the case. And of course that's the case half that's unique to the 4WD. That's what happened to my 2007 Pat.
I picked up a 2WD transmission from a Caliber very cheap and I'm going to try swapping case halves. I'll either get the hole in my old case welded or I'll try to find a core that still has a good case, whichever is cheaper. Dealer prices are through the roof for the bellhousing side case halves so it's not worth going that route. Luckily all the tranny workings stay with the other case half and the bellhousing half just lifts off, so swapping them is simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I found a good core without a blown out case. My old case couldn't be welded. Interestingly the core had the exact same problem as mine: the output shaft bearing exploded. This seems to be a weak point with these transmissions. Maybe the extra load of the AWD is too much for what amounts to a marginal design.
What I discovered was that the differential is also unique, with a much larger bearing on the side facing the PTU. Other than that the diff is the same and swaps over into the 2-wheel-drive case without a problem.
Since the output shaft bearing is mounted on the case half that needs to be swapped over, and the one in my core was toast, I pulled the good bearing from the 2-wheel-drive case half that I'll be tossing. It was a real PITA getting that unit out. Swap the case over and it's done. All told it cost me about $1000 to repair this blown tranny, way cheaper than buying a used or new AWD manual. The key is finding a core that hasn't blown out the case. They are around. Swap the case half and diff over to a Dodge Caliber unit and you're good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a good conversion. Do you think the 6 speed manual tranny from srt4 Caliber would also work? Im trying to replace my 4wd tranny with the 2wd tranny from the SRT4. Was wondering if it would also work.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
This is a good conversion. Do you think the 6 speed manual tranny from srt4 Caliber would also work? Im trying to replace my 4wd tranny with the 2wd tranny from the SRT4. Was wondering if it would also work.
Nope, don't think so.

SRT4 6 speed (Getrag DMT-6) is a completely different transmission than the Magna T355.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, but it has the same bell housing like the bolt pattern isn't it? Im deleting the 4wd (PTU) and just make use of the Front wheel. Hope this would work since the T355 is known for cracking like mine.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
It might bolt to the engine, but the frame mounts, axles, shifter, etc. are likely different.

You might try asking on the Caliber forum. Someone there might have done a T335 / Getrag 6 speed swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just finished doing the same swap i put a gear box from a 08 2wd into my 09 bellhousing 4x4 and it is working great. i am fairly certain that the gear boxes are identical from 08-10 regardless of 2wd or 4x4 cofiguration. 07 looks the same but internally the gear selector is made of different material. Not sure if it would work with an 07 to other years i have swapped one into a 09 patriot but i took everything with it transmission shifter cables and gear shifter. It worked great not sure what would happen had i not swapped everything over. i am fully aware however that with case to bellhousing swaps i have no way of measuring the proper pre load on the differential tappered bearing i am hoping that it will last awhile as i doubt that it is too tight given the mileage of both units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the post!
Seems to me I will have to go this way.
Please, tell me, after such a swapping - does it stay 4x4, or becomes 2WD?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seems to be a lack of info out there regarding the Magna T355 tranny and interchange between the 4WD and 2WD versions. I couldn't find a definitive answer online although the question had been asked before. Sadly, I'm here to let the world know they are NOT the same. Although they are both the same transmission number, the case is different on the 4WD versions where the transfer case bolts to it.
It's a real PITA as good used 4WD versions of the manual tranny are rare and expensive while 2WD versions are plentiful and cheap. But looking at them it appears that only the bellhousing half of the case is different and it should be possible to swap case halves and get a 2WD version work with a 4WD vehicle.
The trick is finding a good case half to swap because when these go, chunks usually end up falling into the diff section and there's very little clearance between the main diff gear and the case, and they typically blow out the case. And of course that's the case half that's unique to the 4WD. That's what happened to my 2007 Pat.
I picked up a 2WD transmission from a Caliber very cheap and I'm going to try swapping case halves. I'll either get the hole in my old case welded or I'll try to find a core that still has a good case, whichever is cheaper. Dealer prices are through the roof for the bellhousing side case halves so it's not worth going that route. Luckily all the tranny workings stay with the other case half and the bellhousing half just lifts off, so swapping them is simple.
you said their are a lot of 2wd t355 around but all the ones i found are all over $2000.00 and up and none are around florida let me know where i can get a cheap one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts