Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning while driving to work the malfunction indicator light came suddenly on [number 26 in the manual - it's the engine image].
What did I wrong?I was driving a bit longer in the 4th gear with rpm over 3 300,I mean I just searched for my mobile and didn't upshift to 5th.I know this definitely shouldn't cause this light to come on but it did it.I looked in the manual and on the net and the advice I'm reading is to drive and see if the light will come off eventualy.Appareantly if all is fine the light should come off on its own after few driving cycles.I read about Jeep TJ suffering seriously of this problem and they say that after about 40 start ups it goes away on its own in majority of cases.
Yes,I checked the gas cap and I added fresh Esso fuel {I always put Esso in ,I don't trust the smaller independent gas stations].
Basically what I wish to ask you is this, has anyone of you suffered the same problem and how did you fix it?
Thanks.
Yes,the car runs 100% ,I didn't detect any aiks or pains,the engine sounds well,it has lots of power,there is no change in the performance with this light staying on.
Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I had the engine light come on when my Pat had only 1400 miles..

I took it to the dealer and they did check with several tests, they stated that the 02 sensor caused an error where it was making the fuel mix to lean.

They tested further after resetting the engine light, and could not then duplicate the problem... before this happed I had an occasional problem on acceleration, it would stall sometimes trying to start out from 1st (dead stop on a slight hill) ... I have not had it stall since they checked it...
I guess they did not want to tell me what they actually did... oh well , can't complain its running better and I have now 4200 miles on the clock..

dealer has to connect your jeep to their computer, they check the pcm (powertrain control module) to see if the computer or the sensors are malfunctioning.. They said they checked the catalytic converter too..

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Its under warranty, why not take it in?
Yes,take it in,take it in.I didn't buy the car to keep visiting the dealer's lot.I'll keep running it for a bit and if the light won't go away then I'll have to take it in.
You know how it is at the garage,it takes at least a day or two before they do anything.I wish it was like a McDonald's drive through,yes,then I would immidiately take it in.
I don't like new cars going haywire with all these stupid electronic devices.
I miss good old "screwdriver and carburator" days ,those times are gone forever I'm affraid,nowdays we have to get professional repairmen to fix just about anything and pay for absolutely everything,even the air pump at the gas station ain't free anymore and the charge goes up,used to be 25 cents and now I see at many places 50 cents and before you know it we will be paying a buck just for the air.
Anyways ,thank you kindly for your advice,I feel enlightened.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not sure about Toronto, (Canadian Tire maybe??) but here in the States, you could go to Auto-Zone or most of the large chain auto parts shops and they will lend you a scan tool to read the malfunction code. I'd probably do that before I went back to the dealer and endured all of the inconvenience that requires.

YMMV

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
piece of cake

It was a piece of cake today to take care of the business regarding the light.
When I got home from work in the afternoon I called the dealer and he just said to come down and they would check it right away.I was kind of surprised because I expected they would set an appointment for me and so on.
What's really strange is the fact that when I started the car to drive off to the local Chrysler the malfunctioning light was gone.Can you believe that?
I drove down there anyways and a mechanic showed up in couple of minutes with this tiny portable computer and scanned the system.He detected that the oxygen sensor did sent the signal but sugested I drive the car and if the light should come on again then they would definitely change the O2 sensor.
So that's the story of my day.
The mechanic then asked me if I wish to reprogram any of the changable features and so he deactivated the headlights after the car is remotly locked.
Now when I use the remote key to lock the doors no headlights turn on.
Here in Canada we don't need to waste precious battery energy by leaving the lights unnecessarily on when the engine is off.

·
Registered
Jeep Patriot MK74 2.4 FWD
22 Posts
Without any visible or audible reasons, suddenly caught fire on the road - Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aaaugh! Was it a minor fire or did you lose your Patriot?
The jeep was driving home along the highway and suddenly caught fire (MIL) . No changes in the operation of the engine or gearbox were noticed, all the electrics are working as usual, the air conditioner too. In general, the jeep seems to be in order, only the (MIL) is constantly on fire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Today I want to call at a service station (SRT - according to ours) to read the error code.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to the master who installed gas equipment for me, he has a scanner. As a result, there were a bunch of small errors related to the radio, antenna, tire pressure sensors, etc., but this is garbage. (MIL) caught fire due to error P219A "air-fuel ratio imbalance". The error was reset, I’ll go and watch, if it shoots again, then I’ll ask for help.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,300 Posts
I'm guessing that when you say that it's "on fire", you actually mean that it's lit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right)))
I think that the fact is that KES, like me, communicate on this forum using google translator) my English is unfortunately at a low level (((
but as practice shows, Google translator is also not great)))

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,432 Posts
I'm guessing that when you say that it's "on fire", you actually mean that it's lit.
That explains a lot! Yeah, google translate is useful, but fails when it comes to idioms. Many of us use abbreviations and acronyms that can even be confusing to a newcomer who is a fluent English speaker. Does someone not into cars know what ECM or TPMS or EVIC means? When I say the engine blew, someone might think I was talking about the cooling fan. And so on. Sorry for my misunderstanding (actually Google's misunderstanding). I'm happy to hear that OP's Patriot is relatively healthy, or at least it's not a cinder beside the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I continue the story...
After resetting the error, drove a couple of miles and the error appeared again.
We checked the vacuumization of the engine, depressurization was revealed. Most likely the intake manifold gasket is leaking.
We will die.
To be continued...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Now I will double-check all posts! It's just a nightmare that this translator translates!
Everything is not so bad, even despite the events in the world in general and in Ukraine in particular!
When I wrote "We will die" I meant "We'll be watching this situation develop" and the stupid interpreter misled everyone and embarrassed me...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts