Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Pat whines when I first start it up. The sound is reminiscent of a bad transmission that accelerates too hard. It eventually slows down and the sound goes away after a few minutes, but I can hear a similar, faint whine when driving on occasion. When the car slows down, you can hear a "slow down" whine until it idles. It's been doing this for some time now. All around it drives well, doesn't skip gears, and never drives at a high RPM. Am I just tripping?

· Administrator
8,763 Posts
Welcome!

It may be something belt driven, like the A/C compressor or the alternator pulley going bad (common problem). Sometimes they can sound like a whining transmission.

Take the belt off, start it, and see if the whine goes away.

Another way is to leave the belt on, and use a mechanics stethoscope (or a stick of wood, etc.) to (carefully) probe around to find where the sound is loudest.

· Registered
2011 Jeep Patriot 2.4 CVT FDI Latitude X
7 Posts
I have a similar hum from mine eminating from the rear end that increases by length driven, and speed. After replacing my suspect passenger wheel hub, (twice), rear diff service, and new tires... Next is a trans service. If that doesn't solve the whine, I'm just gonna keep sending it 'til I bend it and the noise says, "HERE'S THE BROKEN PART!".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts