Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Jeep Patriot Sport that makes a roaring noise no matter how fast I am driving it. It does seem to get louder the faster I am driving it. I was told by one service tech that the problem was not a wheel bearing or any of the front end parts and that it could be the differential or a bad tire, so I took it back to the Jeep dealership that replaced the standard transaxle less than 1 1/2 year a go. The dealership's diagnostic was a left rear wheel bearing and not the transmission.

There is no difference in the noise while I'm driving it and swerve from right to left and left to right. I had a new set of tires put on it today and this did not make any difference in the noise the Jeep is making. Do any of you have any idea to what the problem might be? Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A bad rear wheel bearing can indeed cause a loud roaring sound.
When mine went bad, there wasn't much change when driving down the road and swerving back and forth, but I would get tire chirp doing tight, full lock turns on asphalt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just raised the right back end up. The Patriot is out of gear and the emergency brake is off. The wheel does not spin freely when I turn it by hand. Any ideas to what the problem could be? Thank you.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,488 Posts
Try raising both rear wheels and see if it rotates then. Maybe the rear diff clutch is siezed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts