Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2014 Pat 4 banger FWD with 77K on it. New tires, Very well maintained inside and out. On-time fluid changes, etc. Love my Jeep but it has a really loud hum on acceleration. I live in Florida so it is flat land, warm, driving 11 months out of the year. Is this just normal for jeeps? compared to my Buick Encore which is super quiet even with a turbo, the Pat sounds so loud from the inside. There are no exhaust leaks. Of course, I don't know what it sounds like from the outside because I am the only person who drives it but it seems so loud from the inside I can only imagine what it might sound like from the outside. Does anybody have any experience or comments on this?
Thanx.

·
Super Moderator
5,532 Posts
Overall Patriots aren't known to be the quietest vehicle around.

Could you post a video/sound clip of what you're hearing?

Does it sound like intake noise? Since you bought the car used it's possible someone removed the stock air intake duct and/or modified the intake in some way.

Stock intake duct looks like this:

Here's a pic with the stock intake duct still in place, but the stock air filter box has been removed and an after market filter/intake (louder) has been installed.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
143 Posts
Why do people mount these stupid open airfilters.
An K&N inlay airfilter does the same.
No chopping and safer.
But on topic......that's the perpetrator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a matter of fact, I'm missing that intake duct. I had no idea that would have an affect on noise. I can get one of those. I hope it is that simple and will quiet things down a bit. Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
34 Posts
I took my Patriot into the dealer shop for a warranty issue. I picked it up and when I hit the highway, wow what a sound! I turned around and went back to the shop. The tech met me with the air duct in his had. They forgot to put it back on.

I compare the sound to kicking in a 4 barrel carburetor. Those were the days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like. I had no idea a hollow piece of plastic would affect the sound so much. At least I HOPE that's the fix because it is any easy one. Is that it's function, to keep it more quiet or is that just an extra benefit?

·
Super Moderator
5,532 Posts
It's mainly so the engine draws cooler air from outside the engine bay, but it's also to make it quieter.

I took mine off once and it does make it louder, kind of like flipping the lid over on the old school round air cleaners on a V8.

·
8,356 Posts
Lol, yeah, sort of. I bet that made it go way faster too. :)
It was capable of an indicated 90MPH, but it took a while to get there. Glasspacks had no effect. That car spent a lot of time in 2nd gear, even in the Litchfield Hills of Connecticut.

To the OP @parkerjeep4157, please let us know if that does the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2014 Pat 4 banger FWD with 77K on it. New tires, Very well maintained inside and out. On-time fluid changes, etc. Love my Jeep but it has a really loud hum on acceleration. I live in Florida so it is flat land, warm, driving 11 months out of the year. Is this just normal for jeeps? compared to my Buick Encore which is super quiet even with a turbo, the Pat sounds so loud from the inside. There are no exhaust leaks. Of course, I don't know what it sounds like from the outside because I am the only person who drives it but it seems so loud from the inside I can only imagine what it might sound like from the outside. Does anybody have any experience or comments on this?
Thanx.
Same issue here. Had the bearing done in June 2020 and no more noise ! Its wonderful. Haha Im at 77k now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts