Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually I should have mentioned the easiest way to distinguish between pulley/acc noises is to remove the belts and run the engine. If the noise goes away with the belts removed it is just a matter of tracing the noise to one of the pulley/acc. (alt-a/c-p/s)

·
Registered
14 Posts
that’s exactly what I did this morning. I posted my noise on another thread last night. thankfully it’s not the engine. I have since removed the tensioner assembly is that a pulley sounded awfully grinding like. Not sure if it’s necessary to replace the whole assembly or just the pulley on it I think it’s a difference of about $30

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are talking about the belt tensioner I have always replaced the assembly because the spring tension has caused other problems in the past such as vibration noises and insufficient belt tension

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are talking about the belt tensioner I have always replaced the assembly because the spring tension has caused other problems in the past such as vibration noises and insufficient belt tension
I was. and i did end up going ahead and replacing the entire assembly. would have kicked myself if i just did the pulley and then later had to the rest bc its so hard to get to.

overall i ended up doing both idler pulleys, tensioner assembly, and a new belt. rattle is like 98% gone. may still do the alt pulley but will wait a couple weeks for that.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts