Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! Wondering who else has had this issue: my 2016 Patriot with 2.4L and auto trans is buzzing loud from the engine. The buzzing gets louder with RPM while driving or in park. I'm thinking it's the timing chain. I had hoped to attach video, but it looks like I can't do that on this forum.

Edit to add: I can't post video here, but I can post a link to YouTube.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I wonder if it could be an exhaust leak??????? I couldn't find a good example on Youtube, but this one is similar:

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
First thing I would check is the front of the alternator for signs of brown-ish dust which would be dry grease and rust from a bad OAD pulley. When they fail they can make all kinds of noise.

Also, if you have a mechanics stethoscope or can get one that should help narrow it down.
A noise that loud shouldn't be hard to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing I would check is the front of the alternator for signs of brown-ish dust which would be dry grease and rust from a bad OAD pulley. When they fail they can make all kinds of noise.

Also, if you have a mechanics stethoscope or can get one that should help narrow it down.
A noise that loud shouldn't be hard to find.
I tried taking off the serpentine belt and idling to see if it was a pulley, the noise persisted without it. I'm thinking timing chain. The noise I pretty similar to what a Harley makes if the primary chain is loose. I have little experience with these VVT engines, I'm wondering if it's not the cam phasers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried taking off the serpentine belt and idling to see if it was a pulley, the noise persisted without it. I'm thinking timing chain. The noise I pretty similar to what a Harley makes if the primary chain is loose. I have little experience with these VVT engines, I'm wondering if it's not the cam phasers.
I have worked on a lot of these Jeeps and have yet to hear any timing chain noise on this engine. I have

heard tons of alt, p/s, a/c, and water pump whines from them, esp. alternator clutch. But you said you disabled the belt so that pretty much discounts those. Are you sure that the noise is coming from the front of the engine. The CVT trans has a history or making whining noise also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have worked on a lot of these Jeeps and have yet to hear any timing chain noise on this engine. I have

heard tons of alt, p/s, a/c, and water pump whines from them, esp. alternator clutch. But you said you disabled the belt so that pretty much discounts those. Are you sure that the noise is coming from the front of the engine. The CVT trans has a history or making whining noise also.
My car has the autostick trans rather than the CVT. Probing around with a stethoscope didn't help much, but it does seem loudest in the top of the engine. The sound is pretty similar to a Harley-Davidson with a loose primary drive chain, which leads me to believe the timing chain might be loose. I just hope I don't have to change the cylinder head, I've done it once and for a guy used to motorcycles and small block fords it was a nightmare!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My car has the autostick trans rather than the CVT. Probing around with a stethoscope didn't help much, but it does seem loudest in the top of the engine. The sound is pretty similar to a Harley-Davidson with a loose primary drive chain, which leads me to believe the timing chain might be loose. I just hope I don't have to change the cylinder head, I've done it once and for a guy used to motorcycles and small block fords it was a nightmare!
The "auto stick is a CVT trans. The only noise I have ever encountered was a broken guide on the timing chain which made a rattling noise that would not be mistaken for a whine. I have replaced several cvt's for whines caused by trans pumps and other pressure related problems. Other than that I haven't heard of any t/chain problems.
I would definitely put a stethoscope or microphones on the engine to try to determine for sure where the noise is coming from before I started tearing into it. Saves a lot of wasted time and money searching blindly.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The 6 speed 6F24 tranny is an autostick too. You can cause it to shift similar to a manual transmission if desired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forgot about the Hyundai trans. But that does not change my thoughts. The trans pump and convertor be it 6 spd or 5 spd will make a whine noise if they are defective. I just have never heard a whine come from the timing chains on that engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the balance shaft module, which also houses the oil pump. It's my understanding that the balance shaft is driven by the chain off the crank, and the oil pump is gear driven off the balance shaft. That's what we're looking at here is the gears on the balance shaft and oil pump, the metal in the pan used to be the teeth off them. I'm just glad it wasn't main bearings. The balance shaft module, though, is a dealership only part that costs $400.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "auto stick is a CVT trans. The only noise I have ever encountered was a broken guide on the timing chain which made a rattling noise that would not be mistaken for a whine. I have replaced several cvt's for whines caused by trans pumps and other pressure related problems. Other than that I haven't heard of any t/chain problems.
I would definitely put a stethoscope or microphones on the engine to try to determine for sure where the noise is coming from before I started tearing into it. Saves a lot of wasted time and money searching blindly.
Herb, maybe you have some thoughts about my Jeep?? all of a sudden it started doing this....wouldn’t really call it a whine..def more of a rattle. Replaced a couple pulleys yesterday hoping that would fix it. nope. had an oil change maybe 2k miles or less ago. oil level is good. brand new air filter. alternator doesn’t visibly look bad (rust on the pulley part indicated failure🤷🏻‍♀️). a mechanic friends first thought on hearing the audio was timing chain which i hope is not the case. i just dropped $1k into on new set of tires, front struts, cv axles and lower control arms

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its always hard to tell unless you can put a stethoscope on it and isolate the noise but that sounds like the alternator pulley/clutch from your audio.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
287 Posts
Sounds like two separate noises. One like a loose heat shield rattling and a second later on like a grinding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts