Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day a bunch of my dash lights came on(abs, e-brake, traction control, battery, check engine, 4 wheel drive) then turned off right away. No issues for almost a week. Then last night all those lights came on then Jeep died but started back up. Then this morning turned on the died right away and wouldn’t start up at all I needed a jump start. What could the issue be? I got a new battery about a month ago

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
Sounds electrical.

First thing I would do is get a scanner and read the codes; might help point you in the right direction.

Next thing I would check is the battery cables and connectors, make sure they are tight and no corrosion.

Has the alternator ever been checked? What is the battery voltage when the engine is running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lights don’t stay on. And tested alternator and I get 14V when car is on. I needed to jump my car today but when it got jumped voltage was fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I heard a bunch of people have issues with their crank position sensor causing a bunch of issues similar.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A good scan tool can tell if your crank sensor is bad or not (go to autozone for a free scan). But if you got a new battery a month ago then there is no reason why need a jump start now. Unless... there is bad connection somewhere. I would clean both of the battery terminals as well as all the ground wires.

If that doesn't work i would have the alternator load tested to make sure it's working properly.

What is your mileage/year/options?

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
The lights don’t stay on. And tested alternator and I get 14V when car is on. I needed to jump my car today but when it got jumped voltage was fine.
I take it you weren't having these issues before the battery change?

I might try disconnecting the battery overnight and see if it drains down. If so, it may be bad even though it's new. It's not common, but I've had it happen to me. You could have a parts store load test it just to rule it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have about 104000 miles on it and it’s a 2014 sport 4wheel drive model. I had issues such as battery dying and once I replaced the battery it was fine for over a month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just checked battery and everything is fine. Started up fine and 15V with everything running.

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
If all the electrical connections (including grounds) are good, the battery and alternator are good, and it still dies when hot or won't start when cold, and there's no error codes ever, then I would suspect a bad PCM or possibly another electronics module.

You could try hooking up a scanner that logs live data to try to see if it can catch what happens just before it dies, or you can take it to a dealer and have them hook it up to a starscan and run diagnostics on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been mentioned a few times here, but it's worth specifying that if your battery cables are not secured properly to the post, you can intermittently lose battery connection. A few years back, I'd disconnected my battery for some service, and a few times over the next week, I saw the same behavior you're describing. I was convinced I'd need to call the mechanic, but when I started investigating under the hood, I found that one of the clamps must not have been fully tightened due to some corrosion... Even though it wasn't popping off of the post, there was enough movement that it must have caused momentary losses of connectivity. I tightened the clamp to snug the cable to the post and never saw the issue again.

Of course, it's likely there may be more going on here, but that's one very quick and easy thing to check before taking it to a shop. You'll also want to inspect the post clamps for their structural integrity... The same clamp that gave me issues basically disintegrated a year later while I was cleaning it, and i had to get a replacement from the dealership parts department. If you're seeing excessive corrosion on your clamps, they may need to be cleaned or replaced, as this can also prevent solid contact between your battery and the cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the other day a bunch of my dash lights came on(abs, e-brake, traction control, battery, check engine, 4 wheel drive) then turned off right away. No issues for almost a week. Then last night all those lights came on then Jeep died but started back up. Then this morning turned on the died right away and wouldn’t start up at all I needed a jump start. What could the issue be? I got
So the other day a bunch of my dash lights came on(abs, e-brake, traction control, battery, check engine, 4 wheel drive) then turned off right away. No issues for almost a week. Then last night all those lights came on then Jeep died but started back up. Then this morning turned on the died right away and wouldn’t start up at all I needed a jump start. What could the issue be? I got a new battery about a month ago
Funny thing samething is what mine is doing. Jeep needs to recall these pos. Took mine to dealer 3 times they baffled. Thinking trading mine in for a Silverado.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts