Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This just happened to my 2009. It is the alternator clutch pully. 1. Remove negative battery terminal. 2. Remove passenger front tire. 3. Remove all the plastic guards. 4. unbolt ac compressor let hang. 5. unbolt alternator and angle downward toward wheel well. 6. pull off pulley covering. 7. use 17mm hex drive on impact wrench ccw to spin off pulley. 8. Install new one with impact wrench cw.
thanks. yeah likely will do the alt pulley in a couple weeks. thanks for the step-by-step!

I did end up replacing the tensioner assembly, both idlers, and put a new belt on it for good measure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ended up having to do the alternator pulley sooner than i thought (rattle initially went away after changing out the idlers and tensioner) literally only drove it about 12 miles and the rattle was back. got the pulley swaped yesterday and then struggled getting a new belt on, but and wanted to share the pics E1D7CD1B-5930-46D1-8F7F-C6A41D5BEBEF.jpeg

backside piece of the pulley was totally gone and missing several ball bearings. definitely the cause although i’m glad i went ahead and swapped those other pulleys too. just wish i’d gone ahead with the alternator the first day i was messing with it. pretty sure it sounds smoother now than the day i bought it. 🤞🏼 no other issues for a good long while

21 - 23 of 23 Posts