Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i’ve got a 2010 patriot cvt. bought it used a few years ago and it’s got ~146k miles on it. recently replaced struts/cv boots/lower control arms on the front end and now all of a sudden it seems to be having A LOT of engine noise. any thoughts? though maybe it was a couple of the pulleys on the serpentine belt, replaced those today and still the same noise. have a sound clip of it but not sure how to attach it here. sent it to a mechanic friend and he’s guessing timing chain

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Someone had a oil pump/balance assembly go bad, made a loud buzzing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. sounds similar to mine (i figured out how to upload the voice memo i did yesterday to youtube) so maybe that will help. i feel like mine sounds way worse though. looked at alternator and my dad thinks it looks fine. it’s never throw any codes since i’ve had it besides one that led me to replace the gas cap and that fixed it. have a 06 chevy cobalt that had an oil leak; it was my backup vehicle and i forgot to keep adding oil...ran it too low and it’s not parked waiting for a spot to open up in my dads garage so we can pull the motor and see what’s up. we are suspecting timing chain on that one and wasn’t worth it to take to a shop at 220k miles on it.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
120 Posts
Alternator has a lock when turning it counter whise.
If it doesn't lock it's gone and Yess it will make a rattling noise.
Aircon pump can make a rattling noise too.
You could have inspected both while replacing both pulleys.
Simple check.
Release the belt and start the engine.
No rattling sound means it's eigther the alternator slip pulley or the aircon bearings.
Still a rattling sound then it's something in the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternator has a lock when turning it counter whise.
If it doesn't lock it's gone and Yess it will make a rattling noise.
Aircon pump can make a rattling noise too.
You could have inspected both while replacing both pulleys.
Simple check.
Release the belt and start the engine.
No rattling sound means it's eigther the alternator slip pulley or the aircon bearings.
Still a rattling sound then it's something in the engine.
thanks. tried turning AC off when it was running bc my dad thought AC compressor but no change to the rattle. when you say “lock” do you mean, turn it counterclockwise and if it stops turning then it’s good/locked, and if it doesn’t it’s shot? a few weeks ago i’d driven about 12 miles down to Home Depot, was inside about 30 min or so and when I went to start it, it acted like it didn’t want to start. cut it off and tried again and it started right up and hasn’t happened since. i’ll check the alternator again today and crank it up with the belt off

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
120 Posts
Yes. Counterwhise (without belt) it locks.
Shutting off aircon won't make a difference when a bearing is shot. It still turns while the belt is on.
Yust take the belt off. It's only 10 min of work.
No more rattling = aircon or alternator (but you can test that one while the belt is off)
Still rattling = engine so look further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome. thanks so much, i’ll be checking those out today. 🤞🏼 it’s not the motor. i’m good with an alternator swap although it will be a pain to get it out/in. did that on my cobalt a few years ago. haven’t ever done anything with AC but hopefully won’t be too bad if that’s the culprit

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
120 Posts
If it's the alternator you won't need a new one. It's only the anti- Slippulley that needs to be replaced
To remove the alternator you will have to loosen the aircon compressor first (because it's on top)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's the alternator you won't need a new one. It's only the anti- Slippulley that needs to be replaced
To remove the alternator you will have to loosen the aircon compressor first (because it's on top)
good to know it’s just the pulley although aircon is on bottom according to this. power steering is above. either way, if i could swap the lower idler from the top (perk of skinny arms) then it shouldn’t be too difficult

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:

took belt off...no noise, thank god!

tensioner is noisy when spun manually so def thinking i need to change that. looks like you can do just the pulley or the entire assembly. any thoughts on one vs the other? also can’t find much with good info about to get it off?

alternator pulley is continuously able to spin counterclockwise

will have to take wheel off to reach the aircon one

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
120 Posts
That's good news. Not so expensive
I believe I payed €80 for the part.
It's an easy peasy straight forward job.
Take the alternator out and fixate it in a bench.
Max 30 min job

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
tensioner is noisy when spun manually so def thinking i need to change that. looks like you can do just the pulley or the entire assembly. any thoughts on one vs the other? also can’t find much with good info about to get it off?
If you mean the pulley on the tensioner (not the OAD pulley on the alternator), I'd be inclined to replace the whole assembly rather than only the pulley but that's just me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you mean the pulley on the tensioner (not the OAD pulley on the alternator), I'd be inclined to replace the whole assembly rather than only the pulley but that's just me.
yes i was referring to tensioner pulley vs whole tensioner assembly. i pulled the whole assembly out and ran to oreillys, guy there suggested replacing whole thing, so that’s what i did. i would hate to have to do all that mess again. so now she’s got a new belt, tensioner, and idler pulleys. still not entirely sure if alternator pulley is bad or not. motor doesn’t sound like somethings about to fall off now when i start it up so that’s good and i’m happy

·
8,198 Posts
PS Maybe you know this but since you're new here and since you mentioned you have a CVT please be advised that the CVT fluid & filters should be changed at least every 50,000 miles. If yours is at 146,000 I've gotta guess its been done, but just a friendly reminder here. Good luck with your Patriot and please don't be a stranger here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i’ve got a 2010 patriot cvt. bought it used a few years ago and it’s got ~146k miles on it. recently replaced struts/cv boots/lower control arms on the front end and now all of a sudden it seems to be having A LOT of engine noise. any thoughts? though maybe it was a couple of the pulleys on the serpentine belt, replaced those today and still the same noise. have a sound clip of it but not sure how to attach it here. sent it to a mechanic friend and he’s guessing timing chain
This just happened to my 2009. It is the alternator clutch pully. 1. Remove negative battery terminal. 2. Remove passenger front tire. 3. Remove all the plastic guards. 4. unbolt ac compressor let hang. 5. unbolt alternator and angle downward toward wheel well. 6. pull off pulley covering. 7. use 17mm hex drive on impact wrench ccw to spin off pulley. 8. Install new one with impact wrench cw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to my 2009. It is the alternator clutch pully. 1. Remove negative battery terminal. 2. Remove passenger front tire. 3. Remove all the plastic guards. 4. unbolt ac compressor let hang. 5. unbolt alternator and angle downward toward wheel well. 6. pull off pulley covering. 7. use 17mm hex drive on impact wrench ccw to spin off pulley. 8. Install new one with impact wrench cw.
You probably want to change the tensioner pulley (reverse thread cw = remove) and belt with the pulley's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PS Maybe you know this but since you're new here and since you mentioned you have a CVT please be advised that the CVT fluid & filters should be changed at least every 50,000 miles. If yours is at 146,000 I've gotta guess its been done, but just a friendly reminder here. Good luck with your Patriot and please don't be a stranger here!
thanks for the advice. i did have the fluid changed around 120k. i bought it at like 105k and didn't know if it had ever been done. it was giving me a light, don't remember which, and after some investigative work i decided to go that route.

hopefully i wont be having many other issues though after all this! i had already just had all the other work done. $$$

1 - 20 of 23 Posts