Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

you all seem very knowledgeable so I will come here with my problem.

While driving down the freeway about 65 yesterday I lost the ability to accelerate past 20ish. Check engine light and red lighting bolt came on. I managed to get to the side and shut it down. I did a manual code check and nothing came up but —————. So, I started it back up, red light is off but check engine remains on. It’s driving fine and I was close to home so I drove home, no issues. I hooked it up to run codes and came up with, U0401. Now the check engine light is off and it’s running fine, I’ve drove about 80 miles thus far. My worry is it happens at a bad time and causes an accident. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m very handy I just suck at trouble shooting.

2017 Patriot Latitude
77747 miles
(Any other info you need I’ll get it)

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
Lightning bolt is usually throttle body related.

U0401 is a generic code for Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM. Could be a low battery, falling alternator, bad PCM, problem with the relay box, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was afraid of. Guess I can just wait for it to do it again. Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
That’s what I was afraid of. Guess I can just wait for it to do it again. Thanks
You should check the relay box instead of waiting... it's relatively easy. It's located below the driver side headlight. Pop the cover off and pull the relays one by one and look for green or white corrosion. Definitely better to catch that before it spreads and takes half the relays and associated wires with them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you find corrosion you'll probably need to pull the affected connectors out of the block, cut off the wires below the corrosion, install a new connector (and possibly another few inches of wire), and reassemble (or wire the relay(s) outside of the box. Might also need to replace the relays too.

I had a similar experience as you and waited. Then my Pat left me stranded at work. I had to have it towed to a shop, and it cost me almost $400 to repair. If I had found it when the symptoms first started popping up, I could have fixed it myself, and avoided getting stranded and forking out $$$.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Also, if you do find corrosion, it's much easier to work on it if you remove the wheel and wheel well liner, and even easier than that if you remove the front bumper cover (which is actually really simple to do).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

you all seem very knowledgeable so I will come here with my problem.

While driving down the freeway about 65 yesterday I lost the ability to accelerate past 20ish. Check engine light and red lighting bolt came on. I managed to get to the side and shut it down. I did a manual code check and nothing came up but —————. So, I started it back up, red light is off but check engine remains on. It’s driving fine and I was close to home so I drove home, no issues. I hooked it up to run codes and came up with, U0401. Now the check engine light is off and it’s running fine, I’ve drove about 80 miles thus far. My worry is it happens at a bad time and causes an accident. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m very handy I just suck at trouble shooting.

2017 Patriot Latitude
77747 miles
(Any other info you need I’ll get it)
Hi - I had this problem several years ago - that's the ETC (electronic control symbol) after reading similar posts on this forum- some took it to dealer, who reflashed and other simple tries but it came back and eventually cost them - what the common solution was to replace the throttlebody- I did this myself in a couple of hours with an aftermarket one for about half the cost of a dealer part even with my chrysler discount. The problem probably is in the electronic package on the side of the tb which is sealed and not serviceable. Mine's been running fine since - mine happened at 74000 - of course chrysler doesn't concsider tb to be part of drivetrain so it wasn't covered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just did it again, this time I can’t get it to stop. Several strange clicks before the motor turns over. Idle rough and smells rich. Red light is flashing. I scanned it again and same generic code. Guess I’ll change the throttle body and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Changed throttle body. So far so good. Thanks y’all.

edit.... check engine light still on still giving U0401 code. No corrosion found in relay box. Now I wonder if the throttle body was even bad. (It was making the typical loud clicking prior to starting). My code reader says replace PCM. If that’s what needs to happen so be it. I just don’t want to replace it for nothing.

thanks for any help I can get

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
I take it the red lightning bolt is off? Is it running better?

Here's something you can try that might help, and best of all, it's free:

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
Another member here had a 401 and TB light, replaced the TB and did the re-learn and said that fixed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts