Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smile2: hi has anyone here added extra charging ports or usb ports so people in the back seat can charge electronics in the back seat ? any help would be greatly appreciated and pics would help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking and can't find it i have the sport model don't know if it has it does anyone have any pics of the location?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup. In the cargo area, on the passenger side. It's been standard equipment on Jeeps for years, due to the use of Jeeps for camping/tailgating, but I don't know if the lowest Patriot config has it.
Hmm...I can't find mine either. 2011 Latitude Edition with the BA Sound System - maybe with the sub there they took away the outlet?

·
Premium Member
10,956 Posts
You can go search, I posted pictures and instructions a few years ago on this.
I added an extra cigarette lighter outlet above the rear cupholders and tapped power from the front lighter and I use the dual USB adapter for devices.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I just checked out my Patriot--a '16 High Altitude, which basically is a Latitude with a power seat and some shiny trim...anyway, nothing in the rr side compartment, nothing on the cargo area sides. I didn't go trolling into the area of the spare tire, but if the outlet was there to be of assistance while camping, why would you have to raise that cover--you might already have it loaded...hmmmm?

Also...to add an outlet in this area would be easy as the constant +12v appears in the LH tail light harness, neatly tucked into the side panel--probably easy to tap into. Those of us with the "stock" trailer harness wiring know how to find it...(But..I forget the color of the wire--it is taped back on the harness just behind the grommet. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So this thread has been dead for a couple of months now, but I added some charging ports to both the front and back sides of my center console. My Pat didn't come with the 110VAC outlet in the console so I added the front ports where that would have been, and since I already had the console out to do that, adding the rear was easy. I got all my ports off of Amazon, less than $20 for both. I connected power to them to the plug that would normally feed the 110VAC inverter, it is behind the shifter console and under the radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
So this thread has been dead for a couple of months now, but I added some charging ports to both the front and back sides of my center console. My Pat didn't come with the 110VAC outlet in the console so I added the front ports where that would have been, and since I already had the console out to do that, adding the rear was easy. I got all my ports off of Amazon, less than $20 for both. I connected power to them to the plug that would normally feed the 110VAC inverter, it is behind the shifter console and under the radio.
Very nice mod, I bet its a nice upgrade. I'm sure my kids, in a few more years will insist on always having somewhere to plug their devices into.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad I found this post. I was just about to make one of my own about this very topic. My 13 year old daughter hates when we take my Patriot anywhere instead of my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander because there are no charging ports in the back. I don't understand why, in 2016 when mine was made, that they only put one cigarette lighter plug in the entire vehicle.

I am a Electronics Technician by trade and have spent the last 15 years working for our local Police Department in their communications maintenance shop. Although our primary job is the repair of electronics like radios, dispatch consoles, servers related to our equipment etc, we also install all of the radios, radars, camera systems, etc into the cruisers, so I am very familiar with adding accessories like these in a vehicle.

This is my plan:

Part #1 - Ginsco Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V Dual USB 2A/1A

Part #2 - Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks

EDIT: I had put links from Amazon for the above two items but couldn't post it due to being new on the forums and not allowed to post links. :crying:You will have to look them up for yourselves.

I will buy the above two parts and install Part #1 into the back of the center console so that it can be easily accessed from the rear seats. I will probably install an additional Part #1 into the rear cargo area for additional power points back there. Part #2 will be installed into the passenger flour board / under the dash somewhere.

I would recommend using a power distribution panel such as Part #2 to allow a dedicated ground run from your battery to the panel and then run to the accessory sockets that you are adding. You can also run two different power lines to this block. One for a continuous 12v supply and one for a ignition 12v supply. You can also go with smaller blocks but I like this one so that I can have room for extra accessories as needed.

I would also recommend not tapping off of any existing wires under the dash or the fuse panel when not using a distribution panel unless absolutely necessary. This will prevent overloading of current circuits in the vehicle which can result in blown fuses or even fire. And yes, I have seen wires melt due to over current and fires start in the cars.

For those that are a little hesitant to try something like this is fairly easy to do. I haven't yet taken the time to explore what exactly it will take for the Patriot but typically there are grommets in the floorboard that can give you access to the engine bay to run the wires to the battery for neg and pos. From there, the side door trim panels at the bottom of the doors are easily popped off and are great places to run the wires to the backseat area and the rear cargo area. From there, with a little work, you can feed wires under the carpeting to where ever you are placing the plugs.

Once I get around to doing this to my vehicle I will try and remember to get some pictures of the process and document it better here for others interested in doing this. Right now it is just a "concept" and parts and routing may change once I tackle this. If anyone has questions, comments, better ideas, etc please let me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is my plan:

Part #1 - Ginsco Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V Dual USB 2A/1A
Part #2 - Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks
have you tested the charging ports for radio noise?
I have found many of these buck converters to be terrible noisy RF wise
we have to unplug the charger in the XJ to use the VHF radio
and it seems to be a real issue across the board

BTW sounds like you have a fun job!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't really done much research yet on the exact items I will go with. The two listed are more for reference prices, design, etc. That being said, in the last several years before retiring in 2015, we began installing more and more of these devices for officers because well they had more and more crap in their cruisers and needed the extra ports. That being said, we never really experienced any interference and modern police cruisers run a TON of electronics (talk about distracted drivers lol).

I would say order you a pack of chokes such as THIS and have fun. Should fix if not greatly reduce the problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had thought about using a power distribution block and going back to the battery, but wasn't able to find an access point through the firewall... and I spent a few hours looking for one when I was wiring up my LED light bar (I ended up with all the wiring for that done under the hood, using a harness that included a wireless switch). It was in my search for a firewall pass-thru that I came across the harness for the optional power inverter, and I figured that would be good for connecting power outlets, since it's already fused, and I figure that the inverter would draw more power than a couple phones would. I've had the console out a few times since I installed them and the wiring is fine so far. And I have not had any noise or interference with the radio, but I'm running an X-Trons Android head unit, not the factory unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had thought about using a power distribution block and going back to the battery, but wasn't able to find an access point through the firewall... and I spent a few hours looking for one when I was wiring up my LED light bar (I ended up with all the wiring for that done under the hood, using a harness that included a wireless switch). It was in my search for a firewall pass-thru that I came across the harness for the optional power inverter, and I figured that would be good for connecting power outlets, since it's already fused, and I figure that the inverter would draw more power than a couple phones would. I've had the console out a few times since I installed them and the wiring is fine so far. And I have not had any noise or interference with the radio, but I'm running an X-Trons Android head unit, not the factory unit.

There is a wiring harness pass-through in the left fender well near the door hinge. Remove the inner fender liner and you will see it. I recently used it and had no trouble getting through it with a fish tape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mr_et2

So you are saying that in Patriots that didn't come with the 110 adapter there is a harness for the 110 adapter under the console? If so, do you think that there is possibly a harness for the rear subwoofer that is behind the right rear back panel?

·
Registered
250 Posts
mr_et2

So you are saying that in Patriots that didn't come with the 110 adapter there is a harness for the 110 adapter under the console? If so, do you think that there is possibly a harness for the rear subwoofer that is behind the right rear back panel?
It's actually a few inches under the radio, behind the console.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts