Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Patriot, 75th anniversay.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hello. First post. I have a 2016 75th anniversary Patriot, I had the Rough Country 2" lift put on, 245/65/17 K02's with 30 mm wheel spacers. All is kosher wheel wise, no rubbing nothing. My big issue (which I've seen elsewhere on here) is my front suspension knocking like hell on bumps. Offroading is a nightmare. I've seen the thread about the daystar spacer instead of RC, but i'm skeptical. I just found out about these N3 Struts, that SEEM to be available as an option on the RC lift, which I never knew about! Does anyone have any experience with them?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have the RC 2" lift and have experienced that hard front-end knock on steep bumps. It was worse the first few months - seems to be softening up more as I go. I'm getting it retorqued tomorrow after driving about 3k miles with the kit (nothing too aggressive) and will update if I notice even a slight change.

I hadn't heard about the N3 strut until now but I looked it up and found it on the RC website at this link. When the page first loads it's the regular 2" leveling kit that I got with front strut spacers and rear lower control arms (at $259.95), then it does a weird thing where the page reloads to show the same kit but instead of spacers, with the with N3 struts (at $559.95).

The RC description doesn't even mention the N3 strut, and you can't find the parts listing using their search by vehicle. This Jeep Hut parts listing has a little more info, and the photo of the strut looks like a compatible part based on the knuckle configuration, but it does not confirm in the listing that it is a fit for the Patriot.

All this to say it's worth calling RC first to get the info you need, and they do respond to emails and call you back. I was on the phone with them when I had my kit installed and had some camber issues to resolve. Here's that story in response to another lift thread, in case it's helpful.

Please update if you learn more about those N3 struts, because now I'm curious!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah same here with the disappearing act on the RC website 😁, but if you look just below the description on the lift page, there is a pulldown menu with the optional strut package which says + $300, click on that and that picture with n3's pops back up. I have a feeling this is a brand new option, and a glitchy website. Anyhow I'm 100% looking into it and if we're not just halucinating, I'm slapping them on asap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have the RC 2" lift and have experienced that hard front-end knock on steep bumps. It was worse the first few months - seems to be softening up more as I go. I'm getting it retorqued tomorrow after driving about 3k miles with the kit (nothing too aggressive) and will update if I notice even a slight change.

I hadn't heard about the N3 strut until now but I looked it up and found it on the RC website at this link. When the page first loads it's the regular 2" leveling kit that I got with front strut spacers and rear lower control arms (at $259.95), then it does a weird thing where the page reloads to show the same kit but instead of spacers, with the with N3 struts (at $559.95).

The RC description doesn't even mention the N3 strut, and you can't find the parts listing using their search by vehicle. This Jeep Hut parts listing has a little more info, and the photo of the strut looks like a compatible part based on the knuckle configuration, but it does not confirm in the listing that it is a fit for the Patriot.

All this to say it's worth calling RC first to get the info you need, and they do respond to emails and call you back. I was on the phone with them when I had my kit installed and had some camber issues to resolve. Here's that story in response to another lift thread, in case it's helpful.

Please update if you learn more about those N3 struts, because now I'm curious!
Confirmed these do exist. Off to the 4x4 shop I go! 🤠

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello hello. First post. I have a 2016 75th anniversary Patriot, I had the Rough Country 2" lift put on, 245/65/17 K02's with 30 mm wheel spacers. All is kosher wheel wise, no rubbing nothing. My big issue (which I've seen elsewhere on here) is my front suspension knocking like hell on bumps. Offroading is a nightmare. I've seen the thread about the daystar spacer instead of RC, but i'm skeptical. I just found out about these N3 Struts, that SEEM to be available as an option on the RC lift, which I never knew about! Does anyone have any experience with them?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. View attachment 93863
I ordered my lift kit with the N3 struts. I will have them installed on the 21st. I'll update my post after the lift. I'm also going to be running 245/65/17 KO2s. So it should be a perfect test for you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered my lift kit with the N3 struts. I will have them installed on the 21st. I'll update my post after the lift. I'm also going to be running 245/65/17 KO2s. So it should be a perfect test for you
Ah man sweet! If you're going from stock though, you'll have to do the pinch weld and spacers otherwise you'll rub. I know that's the size tire RC recommends but I don't think they calculated that using K02's. I put 30 mm spacers and perfect. I think you can go 1.5, easier to find, but your wheels will stick out a bit, unless that's the look you're going for. Peace!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Of course!

Did the retorque help any?
Retorque gave me noticeable improvement in stability. Hearing less squeaking, too. I inquired about the softening of that hard front-end knock, and the shop (a RC dealer) said it probably has more to do with the fact that my coils are now 11 years old and starting to weaken. He was aware of the N3 strut. Hasn't installed them on a Patriot specifically, but he did recommend swapping the spacer for them when I'm ready since I'll eventually need new struts and he thinks it'll be a much better lift/performance solution than new mopar struts if I don't want to pay for a totally custom assembly (which they can do if I'm inclined).

Let me know how those N3s ride!

P.S. Just threw on some BFG all-terrains (225/65R17) yesterday. Downsized from 235/65R17 Toyo Open Country AT2 because the 235s were rubbing on full wheel lock when parking or making slow U-turns. The swap back to the original tire size fixed that, and the BFGs are a tougher look, smoother ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny you should say that. I just recently put 1.5 in spacers on after I upgraded the brakes to drilled and slotted with carbon ceramics. :)

I should've just did the pinch welds then. But my hand got pretty beat up from a seized bolt on the passenger caliper so I called it quits once the brakes were done. It's on my to do list lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Retorque gave me noticeable improvement in stability. Hearing less squeaking, too. I inquired about the softening of that hard front-end knock, and the shop (a RC dealer) said it probably has more to do with the fact that my coils are now 11 years old and starting to weaken. He was aware of the N3 strut. Hasn't installed them on a Patriot specifically, but he did recommend swapping the spacer for them when I'm ready since I'll eventually need new struts and he thinks it'll be a much better lift/performance solution than new mopar struts if I don't want to pay for a totally custom assembly (which they can do if I'm inclined).

Let me know how those N3s ride!

P.S. Just threw on some BFG all-terrains (225/65R17) yesterday. Downsized from 235/65R17 Toyo Open Country AT2 because the 235s were rubbing on full wheel lock when parking or making slow U-turns. The swap back to the original tire size fixed that, and the BFGs are a tougher look, smoother ride.
Did you get any loss of power with the BFG's? I believe they might be heavier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you get any loss of power with the BFG's? I believe they might be heavier.
Honestly, not really. Coming down to the 225 BFG from the 235 Toyo after 5 years probably balanced out to a similar power demand.

I do recall noticing the extra gas needed to move those Toyos down the road when I first got them, so my muscle memory is adapted to the added weight.

Also, these Patriots aren't exactly power monsters, so I try not to drive it like one. Just crossed 94k miles and multiple mechanics are telling me they're surprised at how well it's holding up (no leaks, no codes, healthy engine function).

I'm trying to maintain and make it more uniquely mine for the long haul. When the engine starts to bust, I want to convert it to an EV. Should be less expensive to do it in another 4-5 years, too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice, please show and tell when you've got those installed! I'm planning to swap my front suspension this summer and this tip would be really helpful. Hoping they work well for you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fingers crossed that they do. Like I said, as soon as the lift gets here it will be installed. I've been waiting for 6 weeks now. Parts were on back order. Just keep that in mind when/if you guys order some

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fingers crossed that they do. Like I said, as soon as the lift gets here it will be installed. I've been waiting for 6 weeks now. Parts were on back order. Just keep that in mind when/if you guys order some
Yeah, well, I can't find anyone up here who is distributing it yet 😫. Can't wait for your installed update bud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trust me when I say that I'm chomping at the bit as well. 11 more days and we will see it in all its glory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts