Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Limited 2.4L 6spd
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a sales route driving 45,000 to 50,000 miles a year so driving my Wrangler is out of the question.
Recently my 2010 Ford Escape with the V6 finally gave up the ghost at 497,000 miles.
I averaged 23mpg with it and in my search it was hard to find anything that was AWD or 4WD that got good mpg.
I'm a big guy at 6'3" and 275lbs so I really wasn't looking at the patriot but a dealer had one at a great price so I tried it.
A little tight by my knees but very workable.
Have had it for 3 months now just over 12,000 miles since I bought it.
It's a burgandy 2014 Patriot Limited 4x4 with the 2.4 liter and six speed autostick automatic loaded with everything available even the skid plates.
Found out the hard way that the previous owner put tires that are 3 sizes taller than stock when I got pulled over for doing 67 in a 55 when my speedometer showed I was doing 60.
Found this forum while searching for info on a misfire issue I'm having and will be changing spark plugs tomorrow to see if it's those as it has been for others.
Looking to add a few things, thinking of the small lift that just utilizes spacers in the coils and a 1" or 1 1/2" wheel spacer to get the tires out to the edges more and enable me to put on slightly wider tires as well.
Maybe a brush guard down the road.
I'll be taking it on trails once in awhile but nothing to serious as it's my work vehicle as well plus the Wrangler is much more the off road duty vehicle.
Sorry for the long intro...lol.
I'm a booze salesperson so I go on and on often....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome!
Your description of the vehicle is interesting. It sounds as though it may have already had modifications, especially if they fit large enough tires to affect the speedometer that greatly. What size tires are on it? Do you have any pics?

·
8,158 Posts
Welcome! It seems one of our most frequent questions is what's the biggest tire I can squeeze onto a Patriot. Sounds like yours were pushing the limit in more ways than one.

Like you I spent a zillion miles running sales & service. Gradually cut back, changed jobs, semi-retired, then got canned altogether due to the covid thing. I've never spent this much time not driving. In another few months I'll have the honey-do list completed. Then what will I do?

I read that you have a 6-speed automatic. Isn't that the CVT? If so, please get your tranny fluid changed ASAP. It should every 50,000 miles, i.e., about twice as often as the owner's manual recommends. Some say the first change should be around 30,000. People that don't may have premature tranny problems once they cross 100,000. I don't want that to happen to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!
Your description of the vehicle is interesting. It sounds as though it may have already had modifications, especially if they fit large enough tires to affect the speedometer that greatly. What size tires are on it? Do you have any pics?
The door sticker says tires should be 215/60/70 and the tires on it are 245/70/17.
They run on the inside when I turn real sharp so I just don't turn to sharp.
I figured I'd be able to get a slightly wider tire with the spacers and maybe a little taller with a simple coil lift.
Nothing to crazy because I do drive it a lot and so far it's very stable with no issues as it is but I'd like a bit more height for when I go to the trails.
Want to get it all washed up before taking pictures but I'll get some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! It seems one of our most frequent questions is what's the biggest tire I can squeeze onto a Patriot. Sounds like yours were pushing the limit in more ways than one.

Like you I spent a zillion miles running sales & service. Gradually cut back, changed jobs, semi-retired, then got canned altogether due to the covid thing. I've never spent this much time not driving. In another few months I'll have the honey-do list completed. Then what will I do?

I read that you have a 6-speed automatic. Isn't that the CVT? If so, please get your tranny fluid changed ASAP. It should every 50,000 miles, i.e., about twice as often as the owner's manual recommends. Some say the first change should be around 30,000. People that don't may have premature tranny problems once they cross 100,000. I don't want that to happen to you.
Thanks, It is the 6 speed automatic not the CVT, I read about them and my dealership mechanic told me to stay away from the CVT Jeep's.
I've had Wranglers forever, and still have a 2015 Willy's JK but those just don't get the mpg I need for work.
The optional autostick option will be nice in the winter or in the mud...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The door sticker says tires should be 215/60/70 and the tires on it are 245/70/17.
They run on the inside when I turn real sharp so I just don't turn to sharp.
I figured I'd be able to get a slightly wider tire with the spacers and maybe a little taller with a simple coil lift.
Nothing to crazy because I do drive it a lot and so far it's very stable with no issues as it is but I'd like a bit more height for when I go to the trails.
Want to get it all washed up before taking pictures but I'll get some.
Measures just under 14inches ground clearance when measured from the bottom between the doors.
I think it's had springs or something put in it because it seems to have a few inches more clearance than other Patriots I park next to and factory specs say 8.1 inches ground clearance but I'm not sure where they measure from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts