Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it is 4wd / auto trans it can't be towed with any wheels on the ground, IIRC, at least without disconnecting the drive shaft.
I am assuming a 2 wheel dolly vs. a trailer.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,967 Posts
If it is 4wd / auto trans it can't be towed with any wheels on the ground, IIRC, at least without disconnecting the drive shaft.
I am assuming a 2 wheel dolly vs. a trailer.
Oh I see. I thought the Jeep was doing the towing. Indeed, 4wd must be trailered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok so I am purchasing a trailer from tractor supply(subject to change until I see the actual trailer) a 5x8 with mesh bottom empty weight is 400lbs my bike 400lbs and then we will have about another 250/300lbs of cargo (not in the trailer but in vehicle)

Getting tires rotated next week (should have been done twice by now 🤦‍♂️) having them check things out make sure all is well with tie rods and what not.
PTU and RDA fluid changed tomorrow as well as new tranny fluid and filter. I am doing a coolant fluid swap, brake fluid swap and power steering fluid swap in a couple of days.

Anything else you guys would reccomend to look at or replace??
Also should have mentioned this is for a traveling job so after a couple of months of Arizona I.will be heading somewhere else for a couple of months and then Alaska for some months and then somewhere else hence why renting trailers would be way to pricey

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are doing a lot of towing in the future, do you have the tow package?
Mostly an auxiliary oil cooler.
For that much travelling, good to have the trailer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No oil cooler I'm not too worried about as I dont plan on using the Jeep to tow alot just one big haul for now and mayb a couple smaller ones down the road and that's it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Question to everyone tho. Why will no one service my transmission? Brought to multiple places and dealerships and they all say you have to take the whole transmission apart to service it?? This seems absurd to me but I'm getting the same response from everyone. it's not a cvt either so that really confuses me. Why would Jeep make it like that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
6 speed automatic, I assume.
A full service would involve tranny removal, because the filter is buried up inside.
A fluid change can be done without, though. However, you must make sure the correct fluid is used. If you just request a fluid change, the dealer could probably do that.
As for why, you would have to ask Hyundai.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,775 Posts
Some places may be thinking it's a CVT because that's associated so closely with the Patriot platform. Which honestly I prefer the CVT as it's pretty smooth and has alot of potential, but that's a story for another time. I've heard of dealer techs looking at post-2013 Patriot build sheets and telling the owner "it says 6-speed but that means CVT", when the owner actually kept an eye on things and knew full well that's not the case, because Fiat or something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Gotcha I can't keep up with what companies interact with who Haha (in regards to Hyundai response)

But either way that stinks as what the dealer would charge for that you could almost just get it rebuilt.
But ill do my best to keep the patriot maintained until she dies then on to bigger better things. Thanks for your help!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts