Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm about to make a big move from NY to Arizona and taking the Jeep for the ride. Just some questions on hauling stuff and weight capacity and if anyone would do anything different. I'm getting a hitch installed so I can bring the motorbike which will be attached via a carrier rather than trailer. The carrier is around 60lbs and the bike around 400lbs. Hopefully that's not too much. With another 150lbs in the back seats and trunk.

The Jeep has 96,000 miles havent done any big repairs or maintenance to her though I keep her fluids fresh and rotate tires change brakes when needed change air filters etc. Is there anything around that mileage I should look for before driving her 2300 miles?
Thanks to everyone and anyone who replies!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,567 Posts
If they haven't been done recently, I would change the transmission fluid and the oil in the PTU and RDU.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Probably time for tuneup type stuff. Spark plugs, make sure your battery is good, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had three incidents over the years, not mileage, but fuel related. All were slightly different, but the common factor was I had been driving for several hours, only stopping for gas. The only one I know the cause of was the gas gauge getting stuck (a one time occurrence) at 3/8, so I ran out of gas. The other times the gauge was also over 1/4. The first time Jeep RSA towed me to the nearest dealership. They couldn't get to it until the next morning, and when they did it started right up. They speculated vapor lock and recommended not letting the gauge go below 1/2, which seems kind of unreasonable to me. Now, on long trips, I always try to fill up when the gauge is between 1/2 & 1/4, plus I reset one of the trip meters and try not to go much over 200 miles before stopping to fill up the tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The carrier is around 60lbs and the bike around 400lbs. Hopefully that's not too much. With another 150lbs in the back seats and trunk.
I'm gonna tell you something you don't want to hear. That's too much weight hanging off the little hitch on these Jeeps and too much weight behind the rear axle. If you manage to not end up in a collision the best case scenario is you end up in some peoples' instagram feed next to the other overloaded cars and you have approximately 9009 oncoming cars flash their brights at you because your low beams are aimed up at the sky. If you're less lucky you hit a pavement transition and jam your rear struts through the floor pan.

Anyway drive safe when you do it anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,567 Posts
I'm gonna tell you something you don't want to hear. That's too much weight hanging off the little hitch on these Jeeps and too much weight behind the rear axle. If you manage to not end up in a collision the best case scenario is you end up in some peoples' instagram feed next to the other overloaded cars and you have approximately 9009 oncoming cars flash their brights at you because your low beams are aimed up at the sky. If you're less lucky you hit a pavement transition and jam your rear struts through the floor pan.

Agreed! Rent a motorcycle trailer from u-haul. They're only $12 a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off congratulations on getting out of NY! I did that long ago.
I have 3 Patriots that I drive all over the country with and never an issue, except I do agree with others that it’s way too much weight on the rear of your Patriot. If I put half that weight on the hitch I get blasted with high beams the whole trip as the rear end will sag. With a motorcycle on back I wouldn’t recommend it. Get a small light weight trailer instead. safe travels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
100k Spark Plugs are due I think... Good to do them. I waited on my 2003 F-150 & 1 plug snapped off. Got it out but always wondered if that happened because I waited the extra 50k miles, or 6 years. If you've been keeping the CVT Oil changed as the manufacturer suggests, that would be good to do. You don't wanna let those expensive transmissions go bad from running with old oil.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
100k Spark Plugs are due I think... Good to do them. I waited on my 2003 F-150 & 1 plug snapped off. Got it out but always wondered if that happened because I waited the extra 50k miles, or 6 years. If you've been keeping the CVT Oil changed as the manufacturer suggests, that would be good to do. You don't wanna let those expensive transmissions go bad from running with old oil.......
YES definitely change the plugs! Patriots come with 30,000 mile plugs in them. I found that out when I hit 36,000 miles and my Patriot was bucking so bad a thought the tranny was shot. changed the plugs runs like new. Same thing happened in my other Patriot at 33,000 miles so now i always change my plus ar every 30,000 reguardless. If the plugs are original I don’t know how it even runs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yea I was afraid of this kinda sucks how little the patriot can handle I'm seeing what I can do about a trailer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have to agree with the others about excessive weight on the hitch. If you can't get your hands on a small rental trailer, I think you'd be better off even buying a small Harbor Freight trailer and build your own floor and use some good ratchet tie downs than to take a chance throwing it on the hitch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off congratulations on getting out of NY! I did that long ago.
I have 3 Patriots that I drive all over the country with and never an issue, except I do agree with others that it’s way too much weight on the rear of your Patriot. If I put half that weight on the hitch I get blasted with high beams the whole trip as the rear end will sag. With a motorcycle on back I wouldn’t recommend it. Get a small light weight trailer instead. safe travels.
Thanks!! Very excited to explore!
Yea looking into trailers now may have to buy one and resell when I'm done with that seems to be the cheapest option so far

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep plugs were done around 85000 miles I believe mayb I'll. Change em when I get there for giggles.
I'm having the tranny serviced Friday as I.dont have time to get to it myself, thankfully it's the 6 speed automatic not the cvt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have to agree with the others about excessive weight on the hitch. If you can't get your hands on a small rental trailer, I think you'd be better off even buying a small Harbor Freight trailer and build your own floor and use some good ratchet tie downs than to take a chance throwing it on the hitch.
Yea I'm thinking this route I may go a little pricey and get an aluminum covered trailer the right size is only about 300 pounds empty and my bike is around 400 pounds so that should work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all I'm about to make a big move from NY to Arizona and taking the Jeep for the ride. Just some questions on hauling stuff and weight capacity and if anyone would do anything different. I'm getting a hitch installed so I can bring the motorbike which will be attached via a carrier rather than trailer. The carrier is around 60lbs and the bike around 400lbs. Hopefully that's not too much. With another 150lbs in the back seats and trunk.

The Jeep has 96,000 miles havent done any big repairs or maintenance to her though I keep her fluids fresh and rotate tires change brakes when needed change air filters etc. Is there anything around that mileage I should look for before driving her 2300 miles?
Thanks to everyone and anyone who replies!
Hello!! Have a 2012 Jeep Patriot and drove it to Tennessee. The back was packed with suitcases etc. in Benson, AZ a red light came on. OMG now what - I pulled into Benson gas station and went in for some coffee and to read my manual on “Red lights”. It appears the keep was overloaded. Are you kidding!! Took a 30 minute break and headed out again. The light hasn’t come back on. It was like 95 degrees outside - maybe that had something g to do with it. Good luck and have a nice trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My .02 worth. Skip the worry drain the bike of all fluids, rent a small u-haul put the bike in back with all your other things. Rent the car dolly with it a pull the jeep. Lots of pluses no ware in tear on the jeep, no worries for pulling too much, no worries about putting the rear suspension through the jeep from overload. No buying a trailer you don't need or want. In the end the bike is safe. The jeep is in the same condition it's in today and for a little out of pocket change you return the truck and dolly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts