Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I pulled my 2014 Jeep Patriot 2.0L out the other day, drove for about a mile, and all of the sudden the red lightning bolt light came on simultaneous to the Traction Control light. I then lost power, and my gas pedal seemingly had no effect on the tach. It hovered between 1-3k, alternating between the extremes there. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I had an OBD and a battery test done today at AutoZone and nothing returned faulty. What gives?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I always like the preface my posts here with I don't have a Patriot, but when my Commander did something similar I spent a week or more trouble shooting it. Mine started with no cruise control, then traction control lights, then "service 4wd" message then an intermittent lightening bolt and no throttle. The lighting bolt is the fly-by-wire throttle control system. Basically something is making the computer think the throttle input isn't matching what the throttle body is doing. All of these systems tie together so I was suspecting a wheel speed sensor. What ultimately happened with mine was eventually (a week or more) I got a check engine light and a generic code that came back saying my brake pedal switch was faulty. It's a cheap part (under $20) but at least in the Commander it's a bit of a PITA to get to. So much of a pain in the ass that I screwed with it two nights, leaving the battery unplugged the entire time. I finally got to the point that I felt something was going to break if I fought with it anymore so I buttoned the entire mess backup, and drove it waiting for the issue to come back so I can have the dealer screw with it. That was 4 to 5 months ago, the issue has never returned.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hello all,

I pulled my 2014 Jeep Patriot 2.0L out the other day, drove for about a mile, and all of the sudden the red lightning bolt light came on simultaneous to the Traction Control light. I then lost power, and my gas pedal seemingly had no effect on the tach. It hovered between 1-3k, alternating between the extremes there. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I had an OBD and a battery test done today at AutoZone and nothing returned faulty. What gives?
Hey mikebarney23,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Patriot. Have you had the vehicle scanned for stored diagnostics codes yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

i just had this happen to my 2014 jeep patriot 2wd Latitude today. Just curious if you found out the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you solve this issue? Mine started doing the same thing, its a 2010 limited 2wd 2.4l cvt... only the lightning bolt and TC light are on no codes no CEL nothing and it wont go over 15mph

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you solve this issue? Mine started doing the same thing, its a 2010 limited 2wd 2.4l cvt... only the lightning bolt and TC light are on no codes no CEL nothing and it wont go over 15mph
Disconnect the battery and leave off for five mins and reconnect it should reset the ecu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts