Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general question and hopefully all you JEEP Smarties can help me out.

I am thinking of Lifting the Jeep, but cant decide which way to go?

1) MOPAR FDII Suspension, (Stalk stuff, probably just direct bolt on, but expensive I assume)

2) Murchison Springs ($600 Shipped to Canada)

3) Lift Kit (Rocky Road)

Which ones best? Which ones easier to do? Which ones least expensive?

I Plan to do it all by myself in the driveway with my mechanic buddy to save money and learn. Is that possible? Or do I need a shop?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Which one is best? Probably a subjective thing. If you want to go stupid big with tires then the coils will get rid of the spring perch problem in the front. How much you want to lift will probably determine which one as well... If you only want 1" then go stock, 2" one of the other two, 3" you'll need to do stock and lift kit.

Can't say which ones easiest... probably stock replacement unless you have to get into replacing sway bars, etc. Coils would be most difficult because you have to dismantle the strut.

Least expensive would probably be RRO, esp if you pick one up used.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Go for the coils,as they are the best solution in the long run.RRD kit offers a horrible drive on normal roads.Stock FDII will only lift you 1" and you have to go for the same procedure as for installing Stu coils.Pricewise I would expect Mopar to be close to Stu's,and even if there is a difference,the 2" clearance and the ride quality you get from Stu's is unbeatable.
Installed mine a week ago and the Pat is now fantastic to drive and handling is superb.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am interested in the one inch FDII lift, which I understand is about 0.3 inch from the tires and about 0.7 iinch from the springs. As I replace the OEM 16 inch tires as they wear out or fail, I am transitioning to moderately taller 16 inch tires the same height as or slightly taller than the FDII 215/65/17 Wranglers.

I plan to install the 0.7 inch taller coils of the FDII. I also think that I would like some stiff shock damping, which I suspect that the FDII shocks have.

Has anyone with an FDI or FWD Patriot put on the front and rear FDII coils and/or shocks, and, if so, what is your experience in terms of ride and handling?

Did you change the coils, shocks, or both?

Did the ride seem rougher?

Did the shocks seem to give more damping?

Were there any glitches or difficulties in the installation?

I would be planning to do it myself with a spring compressor borrowed from the auto parts place. I replaced all four shocks and springs on our 1995 Buick Roadmaster, so I have some experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Do the alignment after you change coils,whatever coils you use.
It's safer,because you take out a lot of stuff to do it,and may get differences when you put them back.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
...and may get differences when you put them back.
It will have differences and need an alignment afterwards. Assuming the tires are nice and level before the vehicle is lifted, pushing the tires away from the body will cause them to tilt, and be off camber. If you don't get an alignment you will essentially be riding on the outer edges of the tires... more uneven wear, less traction, and less braking.

·
Banned
859 Posts
I would love to know how the ride magically becomes worse with the rro lift.

Please explain.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
FDII & New Coils?

So I have an FDII '09. If I were to put the new Stu Coils on or even an RRO lift, will it raise it 2" above what I have or just 1" since the FDII is supposed to be 1" taller than the other stock?

Also, in response to the question about the RRO making it immediately worse of a ride, I had not heard anyone say that, only that a coil lift gives a better ride than a spacer lift which is what the RRO is. I think people have said even the RRO lift is a better ride than stock.

I have a 2002 Liberty that I am thinking of lifting before I mess with the Pat, that one is my 'rec' vehicle and the Pat is for day to day and also to allow me go a little more if I want to take it 2 tracking.

Anyways, I guess I am asking if it is worth lifting a FDII?

·
Registered
822 Posts
<snip>

Anyways, I guess I am asking if it is worth lifting a FDII?
The FDII "lift" over the FDI with stock 205/70/16 tires is about .3 inch for the taller 215/65/17 tires (28 inches instead of 27.3) and .7 inch for the taller springs. I think lifting an FDI or FDII depends on if you want to run significantly taller or wider tires (more than 225/70/16, 225/65/17, or 235/60/17) or need more ground clearance for your driving at the limit.

Lifting your vehicle will give it a higher center of gravity which hurts on-road handling. Putting on heavier, taller tires will reduce straight line performance acceleration and braking, and raise unsprung weight, which hurts handling.

Ride in a straight line will not be affected by a spacer lift only. Taller springs may or may not improve ride, depending on the spring rate.

If you lift it and put on max width and height tires, your gas mileage will take a hit, the amount depending on how far you go, at some point the suspension geometry will probably cause increased wear on suspension parts, and it will cost money.

Lifting an independent suspension is not the same as lifting solid axles with leaf springs.

The reason I am considering increasing my ground clearance from the FDI eight inches to the FDII nine inches is because I've bottomed out occasionally on a rocky poorly maintained road I drive on a regular basis. I can also (and do) take it more slowly in the places where I've bottomed out.

Cost wise, I am waiting until my original tires approach the end of their lives before going to tires equivalent to the FDII tires or slightly larger.

With three years and 40,000 miles, I believe that I want more damping than my stock shocks are giving me. In the past, it has been my experience that standard factory shocks are chosen to give a "good" (soft) ride on demonstration rides and are cheaply built with the consequence that they wear out quickly. So, I've generally replaced shocks on my vehicles with "heavy duty" shocks which generally perform better and last two to three times longer than "standard" shocks.

IMO and FWIW.

·
Banned
859 Posts
the short quick answer is yes, its worth lifting your pat, just for visual alone, but if your hitting the bottom, then its definantly worth it.

I have the FDII now and im lifting mine using the RRO, the ride does not change when you install a spacer lift like this, i have used them in my past 3 vechiles and they were fine.

plus using the RRO on the FDII, i get extra lift still over the standard pat.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies!! Ill probably go for the Murchisons spring. But it will be in the summer. HOpefully it will be in canada by then! haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts