Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I'm wanting to make my jeep stand taller, i want to put bigger wheels and tires on it, and i want to give it a wider stance... any suggestions? I'm thinking something like a 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just installed the Rough Country 2 in lift with the n3 struts and 1.5 wheel spacers with 245/65/17 Bfgoodrich KO2s

Is that what you're going for?

·
Administrator
6,275 Posts
hello, I'm wanting to make my jeep stand taller, i want to put bigger wheels and tires on it, and i want to give it a wider stance... any suggestions? I'm thinking something like a 2 inch lift.

Hi Beanpole, welcome to the forum!

I noticed in your other post your Patriot has over 200k, congrats!

Not to be a spoiler, but be sure to take some time to research and consider the pros and cons of adding a lift to decide if the time, expense, and potential problems with drive line vibration, alignment, suspension, ride quality, and CV joint issues (especially on older higher mileage vehicles) is worth it.

From what I've seen no commercially available lift kit has a 100% complaint free record, they've all had their share of issues.

If you plan to go off road and wheel a lot the extra clearance of a lift may be necessary, but if not, you might be able to get what you're after just by adding larger more aggressive looking tires.

On factory rims you can go up to 235/65/16 or 225/65/17 without mods or wheel spacers (illegal in some places).

Beyond that you may need wheel spacers or lower offset rims, pinch weld mod, cutting the spring perch, etc.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,652 Posts
What Sandstone said, plus with a Patriot being a fully independent suspension vehicle, lifting it means the wheels come in a bit unless you add spacers, and you're messing with the whole geometry of the thing, which is probably why there's reports of premature CV boot failure and various other problems with all the lift kits to some extent. I have an idea in mind to extend the suspension and axles out and swap to U-joints on mine, but it's been relegated to the back burner as at this point it's plenty of work to keep it and my Impala in working order, haha. Not to mention insurance, stuff for the snowmobiles, the occasional ammo purchase.....stuff adds up.

·
Registered
2016 Patriot, 75th anniversay.
24 Posts
This is where I'm at with mine. I go offroad, bounce around on boulders and all that good stuff, so far so good. If you decide to lift it though, make sure you get the new Rough Country N3 lift.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is where I'm at with mine. I go offroad, bounce around on boulders and all that good stuff, so far so good. If you decide to lift it though, make sure you get the new Rough Country N3 lift.
View attachment 94028
Are these the struts that youre talking about? Are they themselves all i need to lift it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And how do they attach to the knuckle in the front? I have a 2008, it might be a different front end linkage than yours

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are these the struts that youre talking about? Are they themselves all i need to lift it? View attachment 94029 View attachment 94030
Those are just the struts and not for the Patriot. You're gonna need the full kit. Go to Rough Country, search for Patriot lift, there is a drop down menu under the picture, select ADD N3 STRUTS ($300 extra).
And how do they attach to the knuckle in the front? I have a 2008, it might be a different front end linkage than yours
That kit won't work on a 2008. You'll have to find a strut spacer kit for the first generation Pat (07-11)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are just the struts and not for the Patriot. You're gonna need the full kit. Go to Rough Country, search for Patriot lift, there is a drop down menu under the picture, select ADD N3 STRUTS ($300 extra).

That kit won't work on a 2008. You'll have to find a strut spacer kit for the first generation Pat (07-11)
These look like they will work on my 2008 patriot but they're rated for 2010-2017 Patriots. What is the difference and will these work?

·
Registered
24 Posts
These look like they will work on my 2008 patriot but they're rated for 2010-2017 Patriots. What is the difference and will these work? View attachment 94031
I don't think they work. But call em to be sure. Older Pats are lower to the ground, so this lift might put too much strain on your suspension/cv axles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think they work. But call em to be sure. Older Pats are lower to the ground, so this lift might put too much strain on your suspension/cv axles.
it sounds like doing that kit would essentially be doing a 3 inch lift because 2011 and newer patriots ride 1 inch higher... that might be too far for my patriot but im gonna look further into it

·
Administrator
6,275 Posts
One difference is how the rear sway bar connects to the rear control arms. From what I can see the RC lift doesn't support the older mounting.

2007 - 2009

2010 +

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One difference is how the rear sway bar connects to the rear control arms. From what I can see the RC lift doesn't support the older mounting.

2007 - 2009

View attachment 94032

2010 +

View attachment 94033
Do the sway bar linkages have to be changed? Couldn't I just keep my linkage and let the angle of the bar change? I suppose that could cause issues... might snap a couple linkages

·
Administrator
6,275 Posts
Do the sway bar linkages have to be changed? Couldn't I just keep my linkage and let the angle of the bar change? I suppose that could cause issues... might snap a couple linkages
The 07-09 bars are different from the later years

The RC lower control arms don't look like they have the mounts to allow the old style sway bar / links to connect to it properly.

If the bar is left hanging unconnected it might catch on the axles or something else. Some might say to just cut the bar off.

Aside from this, there might be other reasons they have for saying the kit won't work on the earlier models.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You'd need to get the newer style sway bar. The links are easy to find and affordable, finding the sway bar may not be so easy.

·
Administrator
6,275 Posts
New from the dealer they're probably around $100, a lot of money considering what you get out of it. Then you have to drop/lower the differential to change it.
Had mine on a lift to try to remove it without a diff drop but no cigar.

You could probably get one from a salvage yard cheap, but then it's two differential drops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts