Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a 2012 patriot with an automatic CVT transmission. The car is almost to 100k miles and she's starting to shift hard in the first 3 gears. Its never had a transmission fluid change. My first question is just do I need to get that changed? I'm assuming yes. My next question is how long is my jeep gonna last? As I've said, it has almost has 100k miles and its had virtually no issues. Its had all of its oil changes on time and I get semi synthetic instead of standard. It has a new battery and new tires. My hope is at least 200k miles, because I'm about to start college and I want it to last at least through the first 4 years and I drive alot. So how long should I expect it to last and what can I do to ensure that she lasts as long as possible.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
a CVT doesn't have gears... none at all... hence his question.

I would get your transmission fluid changed as well as the filters. There are two. go to an independent shop that works on nissans, as they use exactly the same cvt transmission, and they'll have more experience with your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a CVT doesn't have gears... none at all... hence his question.

I would get your transmission fluid changed as well as the filters. There are two. go to an independent shop that works on nissans, as they use exactly the same cvt transmission, and they'll have more experience with your issue.
Yeah as soon I said "yes it is" I figured I just made myself look like a dumbass. Thank you.

·
7,587 Posts
I had the same question about gears. Do you mean that the transmission is slipping at low speeds? If the transmission is slipping, then its dying. As AIC above says, a Nissan (or independent) shop might do more for you than an FCA dealer. The deal FCA has with Jatco is that they don't fix CVTs, they just replace them. Fortunately I had the lifetime warranty and FCA replaced both trannies at no charge to me.

About changing the fluid, you're right: the fluid is way past time to change. The owners manual is OTL; CVT fluid should be changed around 50-60,000 miles. I hope its not too late.

I've had two CVTs, the first began humming at 110,000 miles. The replacement got me to 273,000 miles.

Aside from the transmission, my Patriot was remarkably trouble-free. Even if I had to pay for the first transmission, it would have been worth it. Approaching 300,000 miles I wouldn't have put out my own money for a new transmission, but since it was their dime, what the heck?

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
You guys will not believe me but my 2007 Jeep Patriot only has 21,350 miles on it. Gods truth. I have changed cvt fluid and refilled with Amsoil cvt fluid. Less tnan 2,000 miles per year. Patriot runs flawless. I use it for trips outta towm. Its always garaged. Still driving my 1987 Jeep Comanche pick-up. I bought the pickup new in 1987 its been a solid Jeep. 32 years old and runs great. It tells how old i am sorta. Retired june 11 at the age of 63.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bottom line is take good care of your vehicles and change cvt fluid early rather than late on the Jeep Patriot.
Yeah im definitely getting it changed soon. I was told by multiple people that the fluid didnt need to be changed until 100k miles, but they probably didnt know what they were talking about. Thanks for the advice and input. Good looking comanche too 👍🏻

1 - 10 of 10 Posts