Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it's been about 5 months with my 2011 black riot, just took it in for its first oil change so i figure i can probably safely start adding minor items that wont void my warranty :) My favourite LED's website was having a huge Thanksgiving weekend sale (Thank you USA), and living in Ontario i figured it was probably the best time to purchase the LED's I wanted. I'm starting with all 4 dome lights, and the front turn signals. Now i am aware that the site i use is more expensive then those on ebay, but i prefer the customer service and quality they provide. I've received emails back from them the same day i emailed them, and they also have a FB page which they reply to the majority of those who post on it.

The LEDs i purchased for the dome lights are 48 SMT Blue leds, its basically 48 LEDS on a chip, that are 1.5"x1.5" ,i did cut out a template to make sure it would fit into the dome light area, and the chip comes with a 42mm festoon adapter that pops into place where our current bulbs are and you plug the chip into the adapter then glue or mount the chip where ever u prefer into the housing.

The LED turn signals i got were a pair of 92 SMT Switchbacks, which means when your driving, your turn signals or parking lights, are clear, bright white, but as soon as u put ur signal on it turns orange, to keep it legal ;)

So they should take a week or so to get up here, and i will post pictures as soon as i install them :) if they are any issues i have a custom shop not far from me so i can get resistors and stuff installed there :) I do plan on essentially changing out every single light and add a ton of lights to my jeep

sorry for the rather long post...

the company i buy from is www.v-leds.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds good. already did most of the mods you're doing so if you need any help let me know...

i'm working on trying to replace the leds in the window switches, instrument gauge panel and center console/shifter area...

---for future reference, don't use v-leds. they overprice everything.

www.superbrightleds.com
Lol yea i know :/ but it was all on sale so i didnt spend AS much :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually the ones i bought from V-LEDS were cheaper then Superbright with the sale :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm interested in your turn signal set up - any update so far? Send us some pics when you get it going!

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
I just did the wifes landrover conversion but used the much brighter and muuuuch cheaper SMD 5050 LED's from eBay.

·
Registered
429 Posts
OMG!! I want those pair of led for my turn signals!!! how much??? where can I get those??? brand??

thnx!!! btw, any pics? :D :D

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
The wifes Discovery took 1156's/1157's/194's/and 31MM LED's and the cost per pair was about $3 - 10 per set shipped for the 5050 SMD's. Instant light and way brighter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i got the blue interior lights in the front 2 and middle passenger dome lights, and i blind myself when i turn them on and look directly at them :p but theres a slight hitch with the signals :( because the socket is a 3757a, it is a newish style of socket, but the tabs on the bulb don't line up, so i am talking to them to figure out a solution
:) hopefully i could just swap the bulbs for the different, 4 wire style :) i will upload some pictures tonight of the domes :p yes i am aware the blue light is not as efficient for viewing as white, but the glow i get out of my interior every time i unlock the car in the dark puts a smile on my face :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did the wifes landrover conversion but used the much brighter and muuuuch cheaper SMD 5050 LED's from eBay.

I am aware they're much cheaper options, but i am not worried about the price :)

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Don't get me wrong - many of what they have is nice .... but I converted the entire trucks bulbs for the price of two set of their bulbs ... same end result and same quality.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get me wrong - many of what they have is nice .... but I converted the entire trucks bulbs for the price of two set of their bulbs ... same end result and same quality.
I'm more worried about the reliability of some of the eBay sellers though :/ like i feel as if there is no reassurance behind it, like you pay for the item and you either do or don't receive the item, and living in Canada i try and avoid getting dinged with some dumb brokerage fee that may end up tacked on or ridiculous shipping charges :p i know exactly what you mean though lol :)

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Well the ones I bought almost 3 years ago for about $90 shipped (almost 20 bulbs) are still going strong in the car - and the wifes are going on a few weeks now :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AHHAHA WOW! that's pretty good! 20 bulbs for $90! :| do you happen to know which eBay sellers you used? and have you tried adding extra bulbs to your tail light? because there's one reverse and one brake/run/turn light, but the tail light looks like there should be 4 separate bulbs. on the inside there is 4 points for bulbs to be placed, but only two are used, the other two are still flat, non punched out caps. I've heard of people "dremeling" out the correct shape, but that seems like a lot of work with minimal margins for error :/ and then you wire in another socket and pop it in..... FYI, I'm addicted to bright lights.... :p I'm just slowly starting out now :p

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
PM or email me and I can send you the full list in excel from the landrover I just did. These are all brighter than OEM and bright as I would need - and I dont have a pat so you would need to replace bulb with bulb.

I assume you are like every other car and would need to wire in four 20w 8ohm resistors on the turn signals so they dont hyperflash like both of my cars.

Also for the reverse light - there is no LED I have found that can beat the light output of a 1156 halogen bulb - and those were only $1.99 each or so.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PICS :D

As we all know, there is nothing we don't like more then pictures to accommodate all of the talk! so here is some pictures i took of my jeep in the garage, with only 3 of the 4 dome lights swapped over to blue LEDs :)

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they are significantly brighter then the stock bulbs :p i am pleased with the light output. Although i was told, from a female perspective, that the blue light is not good for applying makeup hahaha, but other then that, i have no complaints :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
AHHAHA WOW! that's pretty good! 20 bulbs for $90! :| do you happen to know which eBay sellers you used? and have you tried adding extra bulbs to your tail light? because there's one reverse and one brake/run/turn light, but the tail light looks like there should be 4 separate bulbs. on the inside there is 4 points for bulbs to be placed, but only two are used, the other two are still flat, non punched out caps. I've heard of people "dremeling" out the correct shape, but that seems like a lot of work with minimal margins for error :/ and then you wire in another socket and pop it in..... FYI, I'm addicted to bright lights.... :p I'm just slowly starting out now :p
I'm planning on adding Lights to my taillights in the blanks as you described. Im planning on using these LED HideAways they are more of an emergency vehicle light (which is why i'm installing them). But they could be wired to add onto your Brake or Reverse Lights but not the Running lights, I've also been told to match the colour of the LED to the colour lense housing. so Red for Red and White for Clear. They just drill a 1" hole in the place where the blank is no "fiddley dremeling".

1 - 20 of 84 Posts