Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited. 2.4L CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out my halogens for some LED bulbs, with the help of an adapter everything works with no flickers, but the (admittedly expected) issue I'm having is that my daytime running lights are now high beams at full brightness. On a sunny day it is a minor inconvenience, but on cloudy days or as the sun starts to set it becomes more of an issue. Hoping for some ideas on how I could solve this, I have some ideas that I'll detail below but I'm not too sure how to execute them or if they would even work. @paulmackie I have seen some of your posts about your HID setup, it would be great if I can get your thoughts!

So my first idea is to rewire the DRLs to the front parking lights. I have LED switchback bulbs installed there and I think they would look great as the DRLs (they are white for the parking lights and switch to flashing amber when the turn signal is activated). Does the lower voltage for DRLs come from a separate source than the full high beams? Or is that computer controlled? If its from a separate source, how could I go about re-routing the power to the parking lights (or would that even work)?

If the first idea won't work, I was also thinking I could wire a toggle switch into the cabin that toggles the power to the high beams between the actual high beams and the parking lights. Basically feeding the high beam input into the toggle switch, then having the outputs switchable between the high beams (like normal) and the parking lights. So I would leave that set to the parking lights most of the time and switch it over to the actual high beams when driving at night.

If rewiring them to the parking lights doesn't work, then I was thinking of turning them off entirely, either by running an on-off switch into the cabin for the high beams or by using the parking brake. I read somewhere on here that a switch could be added to the parking brake to make the computer think it is engaged without actually putting it on the first click but never found any details on how it works. Does anyone know how exactly to do that? And will it still chime every time I accelerate from a slow/stop like it does when the parking brake is actually on?

·
Registered
819 Posts
You can disable the DRLs using the AppCarFCA program.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited. 2.4L CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can disable the DRLs using the AppCarFCA program.
Thanks! That software is awesome, I set the DRLs to the fog lamps so I'm still legal up north, but no more uber bright DRLs :) Everything I had read said turning them off wasn't an option so I figured I would have to MacGyver a solution, but this was super easy.

I also turned on the one click turn option (when you press the turn signal switch once quickly and the light flashes 3 times). I had no idea that was doable on an 08, thought it was a newer vehicle feature only!

Links for what I used if anyone is looking to do the same:
Apppcar: Appcar DiagFCA – diagnostic tool – Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram
OBDII Adapter: Vgate iCar2 Wi-Fi Scanner Scan Tools OBD2 OBDII Code Reader Diagnostic Tool Interface Check Engine Light for iOS iPhone IPad Android/PC(Black/Orange), Code Readers & Scan Tools - Amazon Canada

1 - 3 of 3 Posts