Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So the stock halogen headlights on my 2015 Jeep Patriot are not cutting it out for me. Anytime I have my high beams on I always think to myself “Hmm... THESE should be my regular low beams!” LOL. Anywho, I live in an area that doesn’t really have many streetlights at all and I have deer around me that love to walk out into the middle of the road. Now I’ve tried to do some research on what headlight upgrades are a good option to go for. Buuuuut, Im confused and I need straight answers, and you guys are my best bet.

My thoughts right now are to switch out the halogen headlights for LED headlights. Now if I go for LED headlights I need help figuring out which bulbs I should go for. Plus, what (if any) resistors or extra parts I need for the LEDs to work correctly without any flickering. Id love to chat with you all that have upgraded your headlights like I’m trying to do and have used them for awhile to share your experiences!

Hope you all can help and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most, if not all, drop-in LED bulb replacements aren't street legal, they don't have a defined low-beam cutoff when placed in a reflector housing, which means you end up glaring the crap out of other drivers. I've been on the receiving end enough times to attest to the suckitude. Perhaps all you really need is a set of new halogens? Your old ones are probably nearly burnt out.

On the other hand, Valkyrie Offroad makes brackets to adapt Wrangler headlights, which would allow you to fit any of a plethora of aftermarket Wrangler DOT-approved headlights. Planning to do that as soon as funds allow, being a niche item they're not cheap.

Personally though, I run auxiliary driving lamps to supplement my high beams. They're slaved to the high beams so they don't run unless the highs are on. Each state's laws regarding auxiliary driving lamps may vary, but I want to put that out as an option since it's a good way to get great high beam coverage without blinding other drivers with your lows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most, if not all, drop-in LED bulb replacements aren't street legal, they don't have a defined low-beam cutoff when placed in a reflector housing, which means you end up glaring the crap out of other drivers. I've been on the receiving end enough times to attest to the suckitude. Perhaps all you really need is a set of new halogens? Your old ones are probably nearly burnt out.

On the other hand, Valkyrie Offroad makes brackets to adapt Wrangler headlights, which would allow you to fit any of a plethora of aftermarket Wrangler DOT-approved headlights. Planning to do that as soon as funds allow, being a niche item they're not cheap.

Personally though, I run auxiliary driving lamps to supplement my high beams. They're slaved to the high beams so they don't run unless the highs are on. Each state's laws regarding auxiliary driving lamps may vary, but I want to put that out as an option since it's a good way to get great high beam coverage without blinding other drivers with your lows.
You might be right about replacing the halogen lights but the car only has 31k miles on it, and to me it seems early to replace them. But if I do replace the halogens are their any reputable halogen lights out there besides stock? I’m thinking if I’m going to change the lights go for aftermarket halogens that are better and not the regular stock ones. I still might go for LED’s anyways just because I don’t go into the streets that often, it’s more or less secluded long forest streets more then anything lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok cool! I’ve heard a lot about Philip headlights plus something else called Sylvania or Silverstar idk lol

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Been running HID's since 2014 without issue and an added relay for anti flicker.
Here we are in 2020 and folks are still trying to get LED's to function like OEM halogen or HID's and they are still not there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

So the stock halogen headlights on my 2015 Jeep Patriot are not cutting it out for me. Anytime I have my high beams on I always think to myself “Hmm... THESE should be my regular low beams!” LOL. Anywho, I live in an area that doesn’t really have many streetlights at all and I have deer around me that love to walk out into the middle of the road. Now I’ve tried to do some research on what headlight upgrades are a good option to go for. Buuuuut, Im confused and I need straight answers, and you guys are my best bet.

My thoughts right now are to switch out the halogen headlights for LED headlights. Now if I go for LED headlights I need help figuring out which bulbs I should go for. Plus, what (if any) resistors or extra parts I need for the LEDs to work correctly without any flickering. Id love to chat with you all that have upgraded your headlights like I’m trying to do and have used them for awhile to share your experiences!

Hope you all can help and thanks for reading!
I have tried LEDs but have never been able to crack the code”..
I have used resistors and a canbus but it always flickers.. only when i have the high beams it doesn’t...
email me @[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts