Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread. I logged on today to ask the same question. Looks like 235/65/r16 or 215/70R16 will work on my current rims. I had 17" wheels on my last Patriot and am thinking of changing to 17. I'd like to get as much height without rub as I can. If 30" is the limit, then 225/65R17 would work at 28"? 215/70 is 29" but I prefer Michelin and don't see those available in Michelin. The Discount Tire search shows 205/70R16 SL or 215/65/R17 SL as choices but only available in General.
225/65r17 is a perfect tire size, and should have been the stock size, especially on the FDII patriots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I read that a lot of patriots have 225/65s. Why do the tire/car searches not give that size as an option? 215/65R17 does come up though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why do the tire/car searches not give that size as an option? 215/65R17 does come up though.
215/65r17 is one of the OEM tire sizes, so the Patriot has a calibration preset for it. Unfortunately you can't calibrate it for anything outside the OEM sizes and 225/65r17 is slightly larger so your speedometer would be slow. I just use a calibrated Scangauge instead, but yeah, even though it fits that's why it doesn't show up in configurators.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread. I logged on today to ask the same question. Looks like 235/65/r16 or 215/70R16 will work on my current rims. I had 17" wheels on my last Patriot and am thinking of changing to 17. I'd like to get as much height without rub as I can. If 30" is the limit, then 225/65R17 would work at 28"? 215/70 is 29" but I prefer Michelin and don't see those available in Michelin. The Discount Tire search shows 205/70R16 SL or 215/65/R17 SL as choices but only available in General.
The wheel, particularly the wheel offset, makes a difference in what will fit. The tires themselves have differences also.
One of the limiting factors is clearance at the 'pinch weld' ie the rear of the front wheel wells. It will rub particularly when reversing and turning at the same time (the inside corner of the tire tread may contact it). This becomes more likely on wheels with less offset because the tire is further from the vehicle and moves through a larger arc while turning. (higher offset number actually means closer to the vehicle).
When off-roading the suspension can move to extremes you wouldn't encounter on-road. So a tire that doesn't rub in normal driving may rub while off-roading. And even that may or may not be a problem, ie occasional low speed rubbing against the plastic fender liner may not cause any problems, but rubbing against metal suspension parts can ruin a tire quickly.
225/75 r15, 225/70 r16, or 225/65 r 17s are all approx the same overall size and are good choices for a no-mod / no-hassle fitment, assuming stock wheel offset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will not buy a next jeep until they build them so we can upgrade easier, dodgeram was always my preferred veichle being that you can mold this veichle to any thing you want, jeep have not change on some of their models. making it hard to fix or upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
I will not buy a next jeep until they build them so we can upgrade easier, dodgeram was always my preferred veichle being that you can mold this veichle to any thing you want, jeep have not change on some of their models. making it hard to fix or upgrade.
First off, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it.

I pretty much agree. People buy jeeps to play with them, but the company makes money by piling on options. They say you can get it just the way you want it, but all you can find on dealers' lots are 3 or 4 option packages. About the only vehicle you can really play with is a Wrangler and even then its a challenge to find one that's really basic that you can add to when you feel like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it.

I pretty much agree. People buy jeeps to play with them, but the company makes money by piling on options. They say you can get it just the way you want it, but all you can find on dealers' lots are 3 or 4 option packages. About the only vehicle you can really play with is a Wrangler and even then its a challenge to find one that's really basic that you can add to when you feel like it.
I understand the concept so what I will do is just grin and bear it until I buy a next ram that I basically can add things to and unlimited upgrades available, still a good jeep but lack power and strength. especially when passing its very sluglish. my wife has the Cherokee which I believe is more agile. but don't worry about me just playing with my toys. summer will be here soon then my cobra will b in use lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
I understand the concept so what I will do is just grin and bear it until I buy a next ram that I basically can add things to and unlimited upgrades available, still a good jeep but lack power and strength. especially when passing its very sluglish. my wife has the Cherokee which I believe is more agile. but don't worry about me just playing with my toys. summer will be here soon then my cobra will b in use lol.
Wifey usually drives our Patriot. She wants to go back to a Wrangler. I may keep the Patriot as a toy. I just don't see why a semi-retired couple needs three vehicles. Really I'd love to have a real sports car from the 60s like a Camaro, Challenger, or Javelin. I looked at a '69 AMX a few years ago. Looked nice from the road but it was really in tough shape up close. It would cost as much as a new car to fix up. Then again, that was made when a shade-tree mechanic could actually work on his own car and didn't need a college degree in engineering to change the oil. Well, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. For the same money I could buy a new Challenger and that might not be a bad thing. Will wait to see if I'm still alive after this Covid thing is over. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm running 225/75-16s and I get a slight rub when backing while cornering, usually as I'm going from my driveway onto the road. There's also a bit of a dip/bump involved. Would likely be worse if I was off-roading. If you don't want a rub at all, then that size is not going to work for you.
I think the rub is the 75 using 70 or 65 might not rub, the middle number is the hight and the 225 is the width.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wifey usually drives our Patriot. She wants to go back to a Wrangler. I may keep the Patriot as a toy. I just don't see why a semi-retired couple needs three vehicles. Really I'd love to have a real sports car from the 60s like a Camaro, Challenger, or Javelin. I looked at a '69 AMX a few years ago. Looked nice from the road but it was really in tough shape up close. It would cost as much as a new car to fix up. Then again, that was made when a shade-tree mechanic could actually work on his own car and didn't need a college degree in engineering to change the oil. Well, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. For the same money I could buy a new Challenger and that might not be a bad thing. Will wait to see if I'm still alive after this Covid thing is over. :(
the challenger would be good for you, not for speed and all but just a nice car, I love mustangs because all the addons you can pile on plus speed and power. for a 62 year old man I think I,m crazy to think like this lol.
(y):)

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
the challenger would be good for you, not for speed and all but just a nice car, I love mustangs because all the addons you can pile on plus speed and power. for a 62 year old man I think I,m crazy to think like this lol.
(y):)
Today's market is almost like post-WW2 -- any old rattletrap will fetch a pretty good dollar right now. But yes, I think I'd like a Challenger. When I was a teenager and the earth was still cooling and we had to dodge dinosaurs on the back roads, I worked for a girl who's boyfriend had a sleek new Challenger. His was blue with a white vinyl top -- a very sweet ride. That image has stuck in my memory for some 50 years.

Well, I guess we've strayed a long way from tires, but maybe not. His had raised while letters on the tires.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts