Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking. Since key fobs are just programmed to a specific vehicle, would it be possible to use the key fobs that the Wranglers have for the Patriot? Is it even possible to get a key that'll fit the Patriot but in the switchblade-type key fob the Wranglers have as well? 馃

Unsponsored Baja racer
Maybe, but I don't see much point as Jeeps are designed to be simple. Plus, as handy as the notion of a fob is, I admit I found the unit that came with my Impala(2003 model bought used) to be so annoying I eventually used a shotgun on the stupid thing. If I need to unlock the door, I have keys, ya know? Just my thoughts though, your Jeep your call.

Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
I got one of these from Amazon: Amazon.com: KCFC-21435 Key Case Cover for Car 3 Button Remote Folding Flip Key Shell Case for Chrysler for Jeep Dodge for Ram 1500 Caliber Nitro for Ram 2500 for Ram 3500 Fob Car Key - (3 Buttons): Home Improvement

As simple as Jeeps are designed to be, if yours came with keyless entry, the key is huge. Mine used to stab me in my thigh all the time. I had to take the metal blank out of it and take it to a local hardware store to get cut, as I couldn't find a local key shop who would do it (they all told me that they can only cut keys that the sell). You simply need to get the blank cut, then take the circuit board out of your factory key and mount it in the new one. It's pretty much as easy as replacing the battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one of these from Amazon: Amazon.com: KCFC-21435 Key Case Cover for Car 3 Button Remote Folding Flip Key Shell Case for Chrysler for Jeep Dodge for Ram 1500 Caliber Nitro for Ram 2500 for Ram 3500 Fob Car Key - (3 Buttons): Home Improvement

As simple as Jeeps are designed to be, if yours came with keyless entry, the key is huge. Mine used to stab me in my thigh all the time. I had to take the metal blank out of it and take it to a local hardware store to get cut, as I couldn't find a local key shop who would do it (they all told me that they can only cut keys that the sell). You simply need to get the blank cut, then take the circuit board out of your factory key and mount it in the new one. It's pretty much as easy as replacing the battery.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The key is pretty "pokey" since it's in a set position and can't be stowed away like the Wrangler keys. I'd have to find out with a remote engine start button too though since I have that

Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The key is pretty "pokey" since it's in a set position and can't be stowed away like the Wrangler keys. I'd have to find out with a remote engine start button too though since I have that
Just search Amazon, or a similar site, for "folding key jeep". They do make them with the button for remote start. That's just the one that I got since my remote start is aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts