Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a quick cheap modification to keep your engine compartment clean on those mudding trips, or during the winter 'road spray' season.

I noticed most of the roadspray seems to come in between the hood and the front grill. To avoid this I simply put some self stick rubberized weatherstripping between the grill and hood.

1. Purchase rubberized weatherstripping from a hardware store. You will need about 2 meters (6 feet) for the front between the hood and front grill and 3 meters (10 feet) for the sides along the inside of the hood. I recommend 3/4" wide x 3/8" tall, however anyting that will fill the gap works great. In fact I used some thinner stuff along the side.
  2. Wipe down the area where the weatherstripping will be applied to. It is important the area is clean and dry prior to application.
  3. Measure and cut the weather stripping, or simply remove and stick while applying and cut once you are at the end.
I posted some pictures below. I was surprised at how well this works. As a second project you can consider adding aluminum bug screen between the radiator and front grill. This further reduces road spray, yet does not prevent clean air getting to the engine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for the great info Homac!

My Engine compartment always has a thin layer of dirt/dust, especially showing on the black engine cover. Hopefully this mod will keep some of that out

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll post pictures tomorrow. They will be themed, 'Do NOT go Off-roading without first doing this mod'.

Additional to the engine compartment being dirty is the silly place for the air intake (for an off-road capable vehicle). I'm forced to swap out my air filter every couple thousand kilometers because it gets filthy. This last one was wet when I took it out. I need to work up a nice cheap air-intake mod to go with this great weather stripping mod. I'm sure if I look around someone has it. That Brute Force air filter kit is expensive.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So as promised, here is the post to let you know why you SHOULD do this mod, and why I'm going to do it in very short order.

Engine is completely covered.

You can see the intake sucked in tons of dirt here, even after I took off the piece over the battery.

The whole intake box is filthy. So is my Spiral Cell Gel battery.

Engine bay

Business end of the filter. The filter was actually WET. Ugh. So bad.

'Clean' side of the filter. Its not clean. Some dirt and moisture did pass into my engine. The inside of the filter box on the engine side is dirty.

Bad place to put an intake for off-road...

So, kind of a two-fold problem. Engine bay gets ridiculously dirty, and the intake system is poorly designed.

Seems I have a project.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh yeah. The front is clean cause I drove in the rain. But the back reflects how dirty the whole thing was before the rain cleaned her.

And even then, the back was dirtier.. darn rain :p

I need to get this hood mod done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
d3xt0r, I wouldn't blame the intake as being poorly designed, especially for what is essentially an AWD car (I'm sure that little comment will draw anger here, but com'mon, we all know it's true). From the looks of all your photos, the dealership must've been out of Wranglers when you walked in. Any damage to yours yet? (dirt/scratches don't count)

·
Registered
196 Posts
d3xt0r, I wouldn't blame the intake as being poorly designed, especially for what is essentially an AWD car (I'm sure that little comment will draw anger here, but com'mon, we all know it's true). From the looks of all your photos, the dealership must've been out of Wranglers when you walked in. Any damage to yours yet? (dirt/scratches don't count)
I bent a heat shield out of place, and had a little impact in the front bumper. It popped out fine though. Going to rip the heat shields off.

I'd have bought a Wrangler if I could afford it. :p

But the intake isn't very well done. My old 4-door sedan had a better intake system for off-roading than the Patriot had. :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd have bought a Wrangler if I could afford it. :p
hahaha, me too.

I think the skid plates should help you. I've been debating them as well. I think in total they are about $300 for both the gas tank / transmission.

as for the MOD detailed above, looks like I too will be making a trip to the hardware store soon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good idea homac! merci beaucoup. I'll install the weatherstrips on the next warm opportunity, to allow the glue side to work well.

On the subject of keeping the grimy sprays out of the engine cavity: I recently did a DIY rad blocker for the primary reason of retaining heat under the hood, during the cold season.

Last winter, I found a secondary benefit of having a rad blocker: it shielded most of the road sprays outa the engine compartment. To my surprise, I found a layer of fine road salt coating the then cardboard rad blocker, that would have otherwise coated the rad, engine, wires. see link...reply #15, on...

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9277

caution: overheating is a concern, but manageable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
d3xt0r, I wouldn't blame the intake as being poorly designed, especially for what is essentially an AWD car (I'm sure that little comment will draw anger here, but com'mon, we all know it's true).
Ban him!

:soapbox:

I kid I kid;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
So as promised, here is the post to let you know why you SHOULD do this mod, and why I'm going to do it in very short order.

Engine is completely covered.

You can see the intake sucked in tons of dirt here, even after I took off the piece over the battery.

The whole intake box is filthy. So is my Spiral Cell Gel battery.

Engine bay

Business end of the filter. The filter was actually WET. Ugh. So bad.

'Clean' side of the filter. Its not clean. Some dirt and moisture did pass into my engine. The inside of the filter box on the engine side is dirty.

Bad place to put an intake for off-road...

So, kind of a two-fold problem. Engine bay gets ridiculously dirty, and the intake system is poorly designed.

Seems I have a project.

Why did you take the piece over the battery for??

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VicBitter, you did it exactly how I did mine.

After two winters with all the road grime/salt that gets put on the roads I found it reduced the dirt by about 90%. Only a little creeps in, probably from the front grill.

In any case like you said, for the cost of weather stripping it is dirt cheap!

See if it'll keep dirt and dust out.:)
Very easy to do and very cheap mod

·
Registered
667 Posts
And i swear, i noticed no hood flapping.
(i previously adjusted the front 2 stops)

I was also thinking of putting a kind of screen behind the front grill, stop the bugs.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts