Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the July 2009 Four Wheeler Magazine today from a news stand and to my surprise there is an article dedicated to a long term report on the 2009 Patriot! This is part one of a four part story which so far actually lays the truth on the line... It's a FDII so it gets poor mileage but they actually like it and state its the 2nd best selling Jeep in the fleet! Personally I didn't know that but am glad to see it in print. Another thing I found interesting is that the 2009 model is more than $7,000 more expensive than the same equipped 2007 model was! Thats absolutely nuts... the price I paid and the mileage the FDI with a 5 speed got is why I bought the 'Riot originally... I am not sure I would have bought it if it would have cost an additional $5-7000 more.

Its a good read and I am very happy with the fact that a national publication has actually voice a not only a good opinion but a very high opinion of our trusty 'Riots. I can't wait to see what they say in parts 2-4 and hopefully they will throw on an RRO Lift and other goodies! Maybe, just maybe with a few more articles like this we could see an increase of aftermarket parts!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
thanks for the note
will try to pick them up,
as for 2009 being $7K more? wow
puts it in a completely different price category.
no wonder they are offering $6K rebates

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
'09's are even alot more the '08 here in Canada.....I read one member saying his ordered '09 was $30,000. I didn't think you could get it that high even if you put every option available on it.:)
My '08 FD1 5 speed was $16,900 a year ago, and my wifes '08 CVT North FD1 was $21,400 (before tax of course).

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
thanks for the note
will try to pick them up,
as for 2009 being $7K more? wow
puts it in a completely different price category.
no wonder they are offering $6K rebates
Read about the $6k rebate or whatever. I checked the local paper and my '09 is at $21,995 less $1k "dealer" bonus and less $1k "bank" bonus for a final price of $19,995. Thats it... nothing else. That was for a sport, 4x2...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm curious where they get their info from on the "2nd Best Selling" claim... The Patriot has been no better than 4th in the US every month so far in 2009 behind the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty. If you split the Wrangler and the Wrangler Unlimited, the Patriot falls to #5. Even if you count the Compass/Patriot as one vehicle, its not even close.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
'09's are even alot more the '08 here in Canada.....I read one member saying his ordered '09 was $30,000. I didn't think you could get it that high even if you put every option available on it.:)
My '08 FD1 5 speed was $16,900 a year ago, and my wifes '08 CVT North FD1 was $21,400 (before tax of course).
Correct, the list price on my factory order came to: $30,520 b/f
Delivery $1,400, Dealer Prep doc $400, & enviro taxes $150 + GST/PST. It's basically loaded with all options except Smoker Group. I paid $28,880 + GST/PST, there is no Jeep incentives on the Patriot, just received dealer discount. They claim didn't make any money on it.

In the US, the same vehicle list for $29,380 b/f Delivery, Dealer Prep & taxes.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm curious where they get their info from on the "2nd Best Selling" claim... The Patriot has been no better than 4th in the US every month so far in 2009 behind the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty. If you split the Wrangler and the Wrangler Unlimited, the Patriot falls to #5. Even if you count the Compass/Patriot as one vehicle, its not even close.
Maybe in a "Compact SUV" category or something? 1) Compass 2) Patriot

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 07 4x4 5 speed with basically every option except towing package and sun roof was $21,000. If I was going to pay 30 for a pat you might as well get a wrangler. That seems way too high.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw that article also I really liked the changesto the interior thou it takes away from the boxy styling that I love with the older PatRiots. And I didn't like some the offroad choices they took away.

·
Registered
636 Posts
...Another thing I found interesting is that the 2009 model is more than $7,000 more expensive than the same equipped 2007 model was! Thats absolutely nuts...
As someone who was recently shopping for a Patriot, I could have told you that. When the Patriot first began appearing in dealer showrooms around March 2007 the base price was $13,995. I just went to the Jeep website and it shows the Partiot "...starting at $18,170." That's right, in a little over 2 years the base price on this vehicle has climed by over $4,000. That might explain the steep drop in sales (-69% for April 2009).

...no wonder they are offering $6K rebates
Uh, actually those $6,000 rebates are for the Grand Cherokee and Commander. The Wrangler gets $1,000 and the Patriot gets $0. There are currently no incentives on the Patriot.

Doesn't look too good compared to the competition: the 2009 Kia Sportage 4WD currently has a $3,000 rebate while the 2008 Sportage 4WD has a $4,000 rebate; Grand Vitara 4x4 has a $1,750 rebate; Hyundai Tuscon 4WD has a $3,000 rebate; Jeep Patriot has nothing. No incentives. For whatever reason, Chrysler has decided that the Patriot is not going to compete on price.

For someone like me who is currently shopping for a compact SUV, the Patriot doesn't look like much of a bargain when compared to other models in its class. A few weeks ago I was looking at Patriots on a dealer's lot and the sticker price on one was $32,xxx. I had thought the Patriot maxed out at $26,xxx!! I've been dreaming about buying a Patriot for a couple years, but I'm beginning to think it's out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
My 07 4x4 5 speed with basically every option except towing package and sun roof was $21,000. If I was going to pay 30 for a pat you might as well get a wrangler. That seems way too high.
Correct, with the deep discount on the Wrangler, Liberty & such, i could have bought either one for around the same price. But my heart & need rest with the Patriot.:banana:

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
As someone who was recently shopping for a Patriot, I could have told you that. When the Patriot first began appearing in dealer showrooms around March 2007 the base price was $13,995. I just went to the Jeep website and it shows the Partiot "...starting at $18,170." That's right, in a little over 2 years the base price on this vehicle has climed by over $4,000. That might explain the steep drop in sales (-69% for April 2009).

Uh, actually those $6,000 rebates are for the Grand Cherokee and Commander. The Wrangler gets $1,000 and the Patriot gets $0. There are currently no incentives on the Patriot.

Doesn't look too good compared to the competition: the 2009 Kia Sportage 4WD currently has a $3,000 rebate while the 2008 Sportage 4WD has a $4,000 rebate; Grand Vitara 4x4 has a $1,750 rebate; Hyundai Tuscon 4WD has a $3,000 rebate; Jeep Patriot has nothing. No incentives. For whatever reason, Chrysler has decided that the Patriot is not going to compete on price.

For someone like me who is currently shopping for a compact SUV, the Patriot doesn't look like much of a bargain when compared to other models in its class. A few weeks ago I was looking at Patriots on a dealer's lot and the sticker price on one was $32,xxx. I had thought the Patriot maxed out at $26,xxx!! I've been dreaming about buying a Patriot for a couple years, but I'm beginning to think it's out of my price range.
The original 07 Patriot was a bit under price, with the new 09 interior; now they want a bit more money, which is understandable. But if you compare the Sportage, Tuscon, & Grand Vitara, IMHO there is no comparison, as the Patriot drives a lot better, looks better, likely better off-road. Maybe, that is why Jeep is holding the price at current level & not discount?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The article does state they (Four Wheeler Magazine) would be hard pressed to find or recall another vehicle that handles as well as the Patriot does off road. They also enjoy the firmness it provides onroad as well.

Other than the steep incline in price as of late... I would say by reading this article its a winner and it would make me at least test drive one, but I feel with the price I would probably steer towards a Liberty or a Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Jeep prices have been all over the board in the past couple of years, and not just on Patriots.
My recently sold '06 Grand Cherokee was purchased for $19,995, with a sticker of $27k. The same Jeep stickers for just over $30k before the $6k rebate.
Pats in march of '07 were selling for sticker price only, our 4x2 went for $19,445, but last year you could get it for under $17. Today I see the same Pat for $22+ with an APR of 8.9%.
It looks like Fiat/UAW/USA is trying to establish a more practical price-point for their products, something they can live with.
I have done some eshopping on the Jeep site, and it seems as though around the country certain selected dealerships have discounts that others don't. This is something I haven't seen before. There is a thread here to one of them
if you live in IL.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Gamecock, you have to elaborate......details please!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
For $30K, I'd go with a sedan. But, since we are talking SUV's I would go for a Dodge Journey (I like how it looks), Liberty or the GC. Always wanted a Jeep as my personal SUV but for city driving and business purposes I also like the Journey.

But, with the prices I see now up in the US, if I were there, for $30 grand, I'd buy 2 Patriots! One for me and one for Mrs. Kah. I'm just to practical right now to be spending $30K like that on any one vehicle.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
The article does state they (Four Wheeler Magazine) would be hard pressed to find or recall another vehicle that handles as well as the Patriot does off road. They also enjoy the firmness it provides onroad as well
Other than the steep incline in price as of late... I would say by reading this article its a winner and it would make me at least test drive one, but I feel with the price I would probably steer towards a Liberty or a Wrangler.
I would agree if you are looking for better off-road capability, but IMO, neither one of those are better for on road. Take the Wrangler out, as it's a different beast. The Liberty, is bigger outside, but the interior is about the same as the Patriot;( + it did not receive a dash upgrade in 09 like the Patriot), has a bit more cargo room, has a 3.7L 6 that is well known for being gas thirsty.

Overall, I feel the Patriot is a better vehicle for my need.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts