Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im pretty sure Juicy’s O2 sensor are ok and her catalytic converter has ceased to fullfill its conversion duties. Could someone look at the obd2 screen shots ive posted and see if you could possible confirm a bad cat based on the info. The downsteam O2 sensor reading is almost identical to the upsteam sensor reading. And the catslyist monitor bank one is supposed to be between 0%-0.17% and everytime ive checked and resent the code the reading has been between 0.63%-0.8%. i have also included screen shots of the freeze frame incase that could help figure it out.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
If the O2 sensor(s) is going bad then the data that's sent to the scan tool is also bad. How many miles are on it?

But before replacing the expensive CAT I would try to replace the O2 sensor(s). let me put it another way, if your going to replace the CAT then you should also replace the O2 sensors at the same time. They work as team and should be replaced as a team. otherwise your going to have a brand new CAT with old dirty sensors.

Do you dive mostly in the city or do you drive on the freeway too? my other recommendation is to drive it at high speed 70+ mph for 20-30 minutes to help clean it out. You can also try Ethanol free gas which has a higher BTU and will make the exhaust run a little hotter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the O2 sensor(s) is going bad then the data that's sent to the scan tool is also bad. How many miles are on it?

But before replacing the expensive CAT I would try to replace the O2 sensor(s). let me put it another way, if your going to replace the CAT then you should also replace the O2 sensors at the same time. They work as team and should be replaced as a team. otherwise your going to have a brand new CAT with old dirty sensors.

Do you dive mostly in the city or do you drive on the freeway too? my other recommendation is to drive it at high speed 70+ mph for 20-30 minutes to help clean it out. You can also try Ethanol free gas which has a higher BTU and will make the exhaust run a little hotter.
But according to the obd2 oxygen sensor tests in the screen shots the they are working within the correct range and only the cat efficiency appears outside of the parameters. It has 218589 miles right now and the cat was changed once before at 99161miles And i drive over 1000miles a week. Mostly freeway 80% of the time & usually between 80-90mph. And usually hit max speed where it cuts outs at least once a week. I tried ethanol free a couple time and i noticed a little better mpg but thats all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received a letter in the mail on my 2016 Patriot from FCA about a Catalytic Converter recall. Evidently FCA lied about emissions. I gladly took mine to the dealer and they replaced for free, even with 127,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were you having any problems with yours before the recall. I just dont know why out of all the cars i have owned why is it only the chrysler vehicles that have had catalytic converter issues and clutch slave cylinders go bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
But according to the obd2 oxygen sensor tests in the screen shots the they are working within the correct range and only the cat efficiency appears outside of the parameters. It has 218589 miles right now and the cat was changed once before at 99161miles And i drive over 1000miles a week. Mostly freeway 80% of the time & usually between 80-90mph. And usually hit max speed where it cuts outs at least once a week. I tried ethanol free a couple time and i noticed a little better mpg but thats all.
I second TK's suggestion on the O2's when doing a cat. I just went through this on a ZR2 Blazer that needed a new cat at 170k. I often question why did the cat go bad as well (root cause, primary or secondary failure). In the case of the Blazer, their 4.3 V6's and their after thought EFI set-up is prone to injector issues which lead to cat issues if not caught early enough (EFI will compensate pretty good initially until the dreaded CEL comes on). Did the cat, O2'S (they worked still, but if you're there already, replace them) and the injector spider with regulator. Unless you just replaced them, they go as a set IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts