Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot. It started jerking around 20/25 mph. Sometimes when driving high speeds 65+, the RPMs will waver and it’ll jerk -not every time I’m on the high way but I’m not on the highway often, have not noticed a pattern with the highway speeds issue. The last couple days I’ve noticed some slight shaking when stopped at a red light, also occasional. Then about a week ago I attempted to use my cruise control just to see if it still worked since the issue started and while cruise control was on the RPMs were jumping up and down, speed shooting up and then down so I turned it off and after turning it off, whenever I attempted to accelerate from a complete stop it would hesitate while accelerating and then the speed would shoot up and then drive like normal. It only did that for a couple hours and now drives like normal but still jerks at 20/25. I took it to a friend of the family mechanic and he didn’t get a chance to fully look at it because it was raining and he works in his drive way but he said that it was definitely something with the transmission, and the cruise control issue could only be caused by a belt or sensor. I’m having trouble finding an honest mechanic nearby (Ann arbor Michigan) and I’m moving across the country in a week and a half. Could really use some help! Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sometimes Jeep dealerships are the best to work on difficult issues because they have the proper scan tool to look at all the information being passed along the canbus while the vehicle is operating. At the least, you can pay the diagnostic fee and get another dealership opinion to compare.

Since you don't mention a check engine light it could be something as simple as requiring new spark plugs or low transmission fluid. Off the top of my head it could also be a dirty throttle body, a speed sensor issue or an ABS sensor issue that's confusing the ECM in trying to maintain speed but it's difficult without seeing the data.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The "jerk" is usually caused by a failing throttle body or cam shaft sensor. If the vehicle starts to die randomly it is the cam shaft sensor. Patriots are known to have issues with both parts. That will impact cruise control. I also had a vehicle (Pontiac) where cruise control would just turn off by itself and that was caused by a faulty ignition switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts