Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
The technology exists already. My Garmin not only tells me how fast I'm gong, but also what the speed limit is. If it were accessed by the police I could get a ticket every time my speed indicator turns red (indicating I'm over the limit). If I set my cruise control at the speed limit and come to a downgrade where my vehicle gains a little speed a message is sent to the police. If its a particularly hilly area this could result in a couple citations every mile. This is a dream come true for the traffic court!

I suppose the day is coming when a driverless car gets a ticket from an automated police car!

·
Registered
64 Posts
:doh: She is probably married to the guy that shot a dairy cow and thought he had a buck!
Most people don't really know or care about their car and just want to get where they are going. But it is also experience. A young person may never have had a flat before and may not know what is happening.

Draconian? Agreed. But on the bright side, because there are so many false readings, it would probably eliminate the necessity of speed limits on the highways. I can only recall one time (of several dozen) that the TPMS was correct and it was obvious. It was an instant flat and I was just trying to get to a lighted place to install my spare.
I've never had a false indication. I've had examples of a low pressure indication on a cold morning, which isn't false, it is actual low pressure due to temperature.

Now here's an idea: How about a governor that won't let a car exceed the speed limit? If it does, it summons the police because there must be an emergency. If there's no emergency it becomes a false report to police = arrest, night in the cooler, judge, lawyer, $$$, etc.
I think the part about 'summoning the police' is silly, but the technology exists to limit speed to posted limits (many GPS units already monitor this and indicate when you exceed the limit). I personally don't like the idea of using that to limit vehicle speed because 'speed limits' aren't actual limits based on logical reasoning. Low tire pressure indications, on the other hand, are.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank God you are not in charge dude. Just saying.............
I think you are missing the point. There are legal laws, and there are physical laws. If you drive at speed on underinflated tires you are at risk of violating physical laws. The tire will overheat, it may blow out, you may crash, endangering yourself and others. I'm suggesting that instead the vehicle could limit your speed to reduce the risk, and you could either continue at low speed or pump up your damn tires to resume normal functioning.
Many things in the modern world already work this way. An example is portable generators that will shut themselves off if they are low on oil. That's not because of Obama. It is because it will fail if operated without sufficient oil. Yes you need to top up the oil to resume operation, but it is a lot easier than rebuilding the motor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not missing any point really, people have driven cars for many many years without having a warning light that doesn't work half the time, telling them when to put air in their tires. The point was that this system doesn't work as it should. If it did then there is not an issue. Check your tires once a month and you will have no problems with your tires. Give them a quick look see every day and all the better. What does Obama have to do with anything? He had nothing to do with this sensor being used. This is basically just another "idiot light" simple as that.

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
Yeah, the idiot light is exactly that. A better EVIC system than my bare-bones Patriot has would help, like indicating how much pressure is in each tire. But then they'll decided to render the output display in kilopascals or millibars or invent a new unit of measure to obscure it from the average motorist. Can't be straightforward if we can find some way to be technically correcter regardless of clarity.

I still have the tire pressure gauge I got when dial gauges first replaced tower gauges -- probably cost $5. Now we have sensors in each tire that cost 10 times that. While much maligned, tower gauges were cheap and worked well enough. This isn't NASCAR. 1/2# doesn't make much difference if you're traveling typical highway speeds.

It just seems things are getting unnecessarily complex. Why on earth do the headlights have go through a computer module? Maybe we need a sun sensor that will sense the direction and intensity of the sun and automatically position the sun visor to protect the driver's eyes. Some cars (not mine) already have devices to turn the headlights on when it gets dark, and sensors to run the wipers if the windshield gets wet. Talk about useless!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Several years ago, I mentored a young man, who wasn't responding to input from his parents. So, I did tutoring on the main subjects he was having trouble with, and his grades got better. Then I started letting him just hang out with me, and I decided it was time to rotate the tires on the ol' Army jeep. He learned about bottle jacks, jack stands, lug wrenches, tire pressure gauges, and the air hose. He was just 16, and had his learner's permit. I was proud of him when getting qued up for a parade, my fellow Army jeep driver in town--who was 90+--developed a slow, becoming faster tire leak. This young man jumped right in, found the screw-up jack in the jeep, changed the tire, came back to me for the tire guage, and set the fellow on his way--none of the parade participants had to even get out. How many 16 year olds would/could do that?

Fast forward another year, graduation was a week in the past and several of the kids were going to the movies in the Valadictoran's mother's car. This young fellow took a corner too tight and ran into a deep pot hole, and got a flat tire. This poor kid--the smartest one in that year's class--didn't know how to change a tire. My mentoree jumped in and found the jack, but there was no lug wrench to be found in this 5 year old car, so what to do? Knowing one of the other kids's parents drove a similar make/model, he suggested calling that parent to come with a lug wrench, and the problem was solved.

Now, I do know that we who have several decades of driving behind us have changed more than one flat tire--most of us fixed out flats--and I remember when rotating/changing tires was part of the high school's driver training program. We should feel a little sorry for these young kids who haven't had to fend for themselves and experience car ownership--and learn how to pump your own gasoline....

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
A number of years ago my Wife was driving south on the interstate and noticed a friend's truck on the side of the road with a flat tire. She stopped and in a quick conversation discovered his jack was either missing or wouldn't work. She went back to Her Jeep, got the jack and he used it to change his tire. She laughed thinking that passing motorists seeing a man changing a tire and a woman watching, that he was being a good Samaritan, when in fact he was changing his own tire and She was waiting to get the jack back! How nice that all those people thought good things about him! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm getting a LTP warning on my Patriot due to the low temps. I'll plug in an ODB reader and see if it gives any indication of which tire it could be. It would be nice if Chrysler had given the UConnect units the ability to show diagnostic information like other companies car modules do. But no, we can't have that, now can we?!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm getting a LTP warning on my Patriot due to the low temps. I'll plug in an ODB reader and see if it gives any indication of which tire it could be. It would be nice if Chrysler had given the UConnect units the ability to show diagnostic information like other companies car modules do. But no, we can't have that, now can we?!
The device below will tell you which tire is low.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-6a6c-5d21-993d-61761f6628b0&pf_rd_i=15709131

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know of the underhood location of the TPMS receiver module? Per OP, it the module could be #2 or #3, (base vs enhanced TPMS display).

Dealer wanted $228 to replace; I found the part online for under $75.

Thanks in advance,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please disregard; a drive down the highway cleared the tire light on the instrument cluster.

Does anyone know of the underhood location of the TPMS receiver module? Per OP, it the module could be #2 or #3, (base vs enhanced TPMS display).

Dealer wanted $228 to replace; I found the part online for under $75.

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
After 10 years and 112,000 miles the TPMS bit the dust, the light is ok (comes on at start then goes out) but the fact is that I do NOT have sensors in the wheels ,I never got them with the custom Wheels and all seasons that replaced the factory steelies(which have winter tires on them that I haven't used in two years)
I had become immune to the four chimes at each start and the tire pressure warning light flashing then going to solid on, at least I thought I had, but somehow for some strange reason I miss them now that the system no longer works. For years I silently said CaChing CaChing CaChing CaChing each time the chimes sounded ( a reference to the fact I saved so much money per wheel by NOT purchasing new sensors from tire rack when I got the Wheels)
RIP TPMS I ignored you so long I suppose it is only fitting that you quit on me.

Reactions: Sandstone

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can someone point me to the proper sensors to order for my 2015 Patriot. :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts