Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been promising this for a while...so here goes. All are done to wheelbase specs and height.

Here's the first, more to come this evening...

Jeep Patriot vs. Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

Much closer in size then I originally anticipated. The Patriot is noticeable "chunkier". They are similar in length, though the Patriot has a 2 inch longer wheelbase.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Patriot vs Liberty (KJ) Size Comparo

This one surprised me a bit. The Liberty has a distinct height advantage (about 5 inches!) but not so much in length or wheelbase. I'm going to say the next gen Liberty will be closer in size to its platform mate, the Dodge Nitro in order to make room for the Patriot.

Edit: Note that the "hump" on the Liberty is in fact the roof rack. The actual roof height is in front of the "hump"

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patriot vs. Grand Cherokee (WK) Size Comparison

As expected, the Grand Cherokee dwarfs the Patriot in just about every dimension. Sitting higher, longer and with a cowl that sits a good few inches above the Patriot's...drivers of both should expect two VERY different vehicles. Cargo room is also a premium.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hummer H3 vs Patriot

I can just hear what H3 salesmen will say in dismissing the Patriot..

Yeah, GM! Lets have a "Trail Rated" shootout to see what superior technology can do! We'll bring a tiny, whimpy box-stock FDII Patriot, and you bring your overfed and under-muscled H3 "Mall-Terrain Vehicle" If the H3 even makes it, it'll be a basket-case by the finish line.

Have you noticed that you can't go 2 blocks without seeing at least 2 first-generation Cherokees, but you can go 2 miles and never see even ONE S-10 Blazer or Bronco II? Even odder when you consider that the Ford and GM compact 4x4s handilly outsold those of AMC/Chrysler. Who cares about JD Powers initital quality reports? It's when a car gets a few miles on it that REAL quality becomes evident...

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Bronco II cant be compared in numbers to the Cherokee. The Explorer production started in 1992. If memory serves me correctly I think the Bronco II was only a 4 or 5 year run as compared to the Cherokee's 20+.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed the same thing here in NL. Every offroad club has at least a 4-1 or 5-1 Jeep to whatever else ratio.....Actually next to Jeep I see more 4Runners and older Pathfinders than either GM or Ford product.

Goes to show that when it comes to 4x4 trust the inventer...

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,482 Posts

here is a grand cherokee laredo next to my patriot

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Today's Grand Cherokee and my '06 both suck off-road @4,200 lbs.
They are prolly just for snow cruising these days.
Too bad, I loved my '93 & '97.
One of my wife's best friends had an original AMC/Jeep '85 Cherokee, pre-Chrysler, with a pokey V6, but it still runs with another V6 the last time I saw it. Those were even hung lower than the Chrysler suspension.
Bronco IIs were flippers, on and off the road, thought the V6 with the manual was a bear of a set-up. Funny, my neighbor had one and it was constantly for sale when I got my '89 Cherokee.
IMG_0003_edited-1%20(Small).jpg

I went from my '89 Cherokee to an armored '93 Grand, and from that day forward there was no turning back. Pictured is a '85 Cherokee next to my '93 Grand Laredo.

·
Registered
4 Posts

As expected, the Grand Cherokee dwarfs the Patriot in just about every dimension. Sitting higher, longer and with a cowl that sits a good few inches above the Patriot's...drivers of both should expect two VERY different vehicles. Cargo room is also a premium.

i see comparison between Patrio and Grand Cherokee size, i think its no more difference in size.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Compared to a WK Grand Cherokee, yeah, the Cherokee's bigger.. what really surprized me was once I got the chance to park next to a WJ Grand Cherokee and my Patriot just looked bigger all-around...

..I remember thinking, "Wait, mine's the 'Compact' SUV?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts