Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m new here but I am in need of a help cause I’m a little confused. My 2015 Jeep Patriot is making a noise when I turn the key as to where the fuel pump would turn on etc. but not cranking the engine and I get a semi loud clicking about five times coming from just left of the coil packs on the side of the motor almost. I have never heard it and am worried it could lead to a bigger problem. Anyone heard of this? Doesn’t seem to be affecting anything as of now but. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
6,359 Posts
Maybe a throttle body problem in the making:

Get a mechanics stethoscope, have someone turn the key on and off and see if you can find where the noise is coming from.

·
Administrator
6,359 Posts
If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope, use a stick of wood, hold it up to your ear, and touch around on the engine, abs module, etc. and listen while someone is turning the key on and off to find where the sound is the loudest, then mark that place on the pic.

Also, are you sure the sound isn't coming from under the dash over by the glove box e.g. hvac door actuators?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I never got around to trying to figure out where the clicking is coming from because now the pat is stuttering bad as I’m driving. Not all the time though. Yesterday I drove for an hour with the stuttering happening maybe only one or twice and barely noticeable. Today I drove for an hour and I got stuttering almost the whole way and damn near stalling. As well when stuttering would happen the lightning bolt with two lines light would come on.I’ve read this is the etc light? Well it’s starting to worry me a lot and I’m not sure if I should continue driving to work until I have time to fix it or just take it to a shop. If anyone has an idea of what I’m getting into I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,320 Posts
Sounds like you're going to need to replace the throttle body.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn’t make it ten feet out my driveway before it stuttered again...but this time cel came on, traction light came on and the etc light or whatever came on and started blinking. Turned right back around and parked. When I get home from work today hopefully there will be a code I can look at at least

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The throttle bodies on these are the one Achilles heel of this engine. They have plastic gears that tend to break. There are lots of YouTube videos on the subject. Dealers tend to charge an arm & leg for this repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The throttle bodies on these are the one Achilles heel of this engine. They have plastic gears that tend to break. There are lots of YouTube videos on the subject. Dealers tend to charge an arm & leg for this repair.
So I bought some sea foam tb cleaner and the sea foam fuel additive and put them both in. Wow the smoke that came rolling out. But it ran a whole lot better. Still a little rough on the idle at red lights and I had maybe one hesitation going into 3rd. But I just put it in an hour ago so hopefully it gets better l. If not then I’m guessing taking tb off and cleaning it thoroughly would be next step?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I bought some sea foam tb cleaner and the sea foam fuel additive and put them both in. Wow the smoke that came rolling out. But it ran a whole lot better. Still a little rough on the idle at red lights and I had maybe one hesitation going into 3rd. But I just put it in an hour ago so hopefully it gets better l. If not then I’m guessing taking tb off and cleaning it thoroughly would be next step?
So yea it was too good to be true. Got in it to leave for work this morning and bam limp mode with the three amigos back on. Fml bought to just buy the tb and get it over with. A mechanic friend of mine said maybe o2 sensors too. The code I pulled was p2173 throttle actuator system -high airflow. Any thoughts on whether not just replace the tb

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,320 Posts
Since you heard clicking, I'd suggest just replacing the tb. The clicking is pretty indicitive of the plastic gears in the tb being stripped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There’s two different types of tb s at advanced one says electronic tb and other is fuel injected tb under the description. My guess is I have a electronic. My owners manual is a dvd....and I don’t own a computer so I’m gonna take mine off before I go and try to match them up if someone knows what type a 2015 Patriot sport uses...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
William miller, I'm going to get your head spinning here.......it's what I do.

- I believe that the difference between electronic tb and fuel injected tb is just semantics - the choice of descriptor used by different companies. Our tb are both fuel injected and electronic, IMO.

- Those Advanced Auto prices are insane. You can buy an OEM unit for less. Check Rock Auto for a foundation of aftermarket prices.

But now I will make it worse. There now seems to be 3 different OEM part numbers associated with our throttle bodies. Here is a thread where the OP claimed he made a mistake with wrong part number, but he also had a bent harness pin problem, so it is tough to know what the real problem/solution was: NEW (factory) Throttle body installed & red...

- Possible OEM part numbers : 4891735AD, 68420395AB. Another OEM number ( 68366012AB) I "think" is the Dodge Journey equivalent to the Jeep 68420395AB???

- Both 4891735AD and 68420395AB show fitment for 2007 to 2017 Patriots! ....

- I "think" that 4891735AD is "maybe" closest to what we originally had (fit our OEM wire harness?)?. I "think" that the 6842039bAB is "maybe" a newer revision and it requires rewiring the harness as shown in this link:
2007-2018 Mopar Throttle Body Kit 68420395AB Mopar | JCDR Parts .......Maybe? this new one has improved gears that don't break?? Or, maybe it is a revision and parts consolidation to make one unit fit the old Compass/Patriot AND the newer Journeys???? Anyone's guess.

The "newer" 6842039bAB

Good Luck! This all needs confirmation.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yeah... that tb doesn't look so good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
William miller, I'm going to get your head spinning here.......it's what I do.

- I believe that the difference between electronic tb and fuel injected tb is just semantics - the choice of descriptor used by different companies. Our tb are both fuel injected and electronic, IMO.

- Those Advanced Auto prices are insane. You can buy an OEM unit for less. Check Rock Auto for a foundation of aftermarket prices.

But now I will make it worse. There now seems to be 3 different OEM part numbers associated with our throttle bodies. Here is a thread where the OP claimed he made a mistake with wrong part number, but he also had a bent harness pin problem, so it is tough to know what the real problem/solution was: NEW (factory) Throttle body installed & red...

- Possible OEM part numbers : 4891735AD, 68420395AB. Another OEM number ( 68366012AB) I "think" is the Dodge Journey equivalent to the Jeep 68420395AB???

- Both 4891735AD and 68420395AB show fitment for 2007 to 2017 Patriots! ....

- I "think" that 4891735AD is "maybe" closest to what we originally had (fit our OEM wire harness?)?. I "think" that the 6842039bAB is "maybe" a newer revision and it requires rewiring the harness as shown in this link:
2007-2018 Mopar Throttle Body Kit 68420395AB Mopar | JCDR Parts .......Maybe? this new one has improved gears that don't break?? Or, maybe it is a revision and parts consolidation to make one unit fit the old Compass/Patriot AND the newer Journeys???? Anyone's guess.

The "newer" 6842039bAB
View attachment 94160

Good Luck! This all needs confirmation.
Ok so yea. Head officially spun. I got a headache trying to figure out part numbers and all that so I took my tb off and drove to advanced and matched up with the one they had in stock which was an electric tb from doraman i think. New gasket with it for two bucks 250 for the tb. Drove it last night runs great. On my way to work now and running great still. I did the relearn procedure of pushing pedal in for 15 seconds and off, then driving it. ThT seemed to take of the other code that popped up. Hopefully I got many more miles in this thing thanks everybody for your help.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
"Ok so yea. Head officially spun. " It's part of my sadistic nature that spins off my OCD driven attention to detail.

Thank you for the follow up. I've never gotten a good explanation for the relearn process. Your pedal pushing one is for the drive-by-wire gas pedal sensor.....I thought. The service manuals say you need to do a relearn with a scan tool.

Was the Dorman unit "plug and play"? No wires to splice, correct??

And, to rub salt in the wound (sorry), I use the always present 25% off Advance Auto coupons. Order on line for store pick up. Still, a dealer would have charged $600 -$800 for the job, so you saved a bundle. And, yours has a lifetime warranty!

Thanks again for sharing and helping us all learn.

·
Administrator
6,359 Posts
Ok so yea. Head officially spun. I got a headache trying to figure out part numbers and all that so I took my tb off and drove to advanced and matched up with the one they had in stock which was an electric tb from doraman i think. New gasket with it for two bucks 250 for the tb. Drove it last night runs great. On my way to work now and running great still. I did the relearn procedure of pushing pedal in for 15 seconds and off, then driving it. ThT seemed to take of the other code that popped up. Hopefully I got many more miles in this thing thanks everybody for your help.
Thanks for the update, always helps to hear back on what worked or didn't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just looked up YouTube videos for replacing tb and a couple of them showed relearning by doing that. And yes it was plug and play no splicing required.
On the note of a coupon code I am now kicking myself for not thinking of that....I have the advanced auto app too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts