Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My Jeep Patriot has just started sounding loud, like driving over a bad grating road. The handling seems the same. The engine runs quiet when stopped. The brakes seem to work the same. As you go faster, it gets louder. I walked along side outside as the car moved slowly. Might be sound by left tire. Doesn't make any strange sounds turning the corner. It just sounds loud as you go faster. I wonder if something is scraping? old brakes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the brake caliper is hanging it would sounds like grinding and you would sense a lot more heat from the one side than the other. The hub bearing will make a sound like you mention. Sometimes the should will change when turning right or left, which is one of the ways you can help pinpoint it as a hub bearing.

I have no experience with this on our Patriot. I had to replace both on my Liberty after 100K. On the Liberty it was not hard to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sounds like a bearing that I just had replaced. Whined louder as I went faster. Mine were in the rear but I can start to hear the front make a noise like a whir whir whir WHIR WHIR WHIR as I take off. Just hit 70K in my 2016 so I figured this start is going to start to need its first set of replacements of this kind.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!
It does not make a strange sound turning. Just when accelerating. I live in a big city and park on the street. It's really impossible for me to lay down and look at anything. It's a Patriot 85,000 miles. It sounded more on the left by the drivers wheel than the right side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will push down on the tires and see this later. I recorded the sound inside my Jeep, but not sure that will be much help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, no play from the tire when pushing it....just starts around 15 MPH....gets louder like driving over bad grating road....

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Nope, no play from the tire when pushing it....just starts around 15 MPH....gets louder like driving over bad grating road....
Like going over rumble strips on the edge of the road?

See below thread:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for describing it better than I did. I don't have the capability to take things apart. I did get new tires last summer on the front. The tire actually looks a little low, will put some air in it today. Thanks for the video link.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd lay money on it being a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do I know which side? How much does something like that cost to fix. Is it expensive?

·
8,198 Posts
I'm with the others on this thread -- it's probably a wheel bearing. Not my Patriot but on my old Bravada I was getting a grinding noise that turned out to be that the wheel was starting to tip enough that it was contacting the ABS sensor. For a small part it resonated quite loudly.

I recently had the LF wheel bearing replaced in our 2014 Patriot (140,000 miles) and it ran a little shy of $300 as I recall. I think that may have included LOF, too. I forget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a really great forum. Thanks for all the help so far....as I said before, I live where its impossible to repair things like this myself, but it is very helpful to know what you are talking about when you go to talk to a mechanic. I have done some basic stuff myself, but have a lot to learn about repairs.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Thanks for describing it better than I did. I don't have the capability to take things apart. I did get new tires last summer on the front. The tire actually looks a little low, will put some air in it today. Thanks for the video link.
Because of extra friction, a bad wheel bearing will sometimes pull to one side when braking or cause the wheel to lock up.

From what you said in your first post, I gather that's not happening; applying the brakes doesn't cause pulling or make the sound worse or better except the noise changes when the vehicle slows down, does that seem right?

Is it louder when you accelerate, but gets quieter when you let off the gas and coast?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your description is accurate. It is not pulling at all. The Jeep seems to runs the same in general except for the loud sound. I laughed when someone said if you fix it you can turn down your radio! It is not pulling. Louder when you accelerate.
Also is this safe to drive? I can't get an appointment for a week.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Perhaps it's a bad inner CV joint, but since you don't know for sure what's wrong, I'd try not to drive it unless you really have to. Something could break and cause more damage, or even an accident.

I don't know if you saw it but in the video he talks about noise under acceleration and shows (at 00:38) how the inner joint has play when you move it up and down.
There's also grease leaking from the boot. If possible check for those things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sandstone...thanks....I pushed it up and down like in the video and no sound. Also no grease on the ground, or when I try to look under it.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Sandstone...thanks....I pushed it up and down like in the video and no sound. Also no grease on the ground, or when I try to look under it.
Did it move up and down at all, like in the video?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts