Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I re-enabled the link:

Jeep Patriot Leak Detection

It shows where the leaks get in. If you seal these areas, almost all leaks will be resolved. The main problem is the dealers get lazy:

• Remove all the roof components, rack and trims
  • Remove headliner
  • Seal the plugs/add extra sealant on the top of the liftgate
  • Inspect and add silicone sealant around window washer hoses

·
1/8 of a mile
87 Posts
I re-enabled the link:

Jeep Patriot Leak Detection

It shows where the leaks get in. If you seal these areas, almost all leaks will be resolved. The main problem is the dealers get lazy:

• Remove all the roof components, rack and trims
  • Remove headliner
  • Seal the plugs/add extra sealant on the top of the liftgate
  • Inspect and add silicone sealant around window washer hoses

Thank you !!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't have a sunroof and no leaks so far, can I expect them coming? Has anyone done this as preventative measure? Finally has Jeep replaced damage headliners, etc, when leaks occured?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glad I found this thread and the link for The Leak Detection Guide. I'll save the thread and the link and hope I never have to use them.

Thanks all for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought mine used 2 weeks ago. 2nd rainfall and I've got leaks from the front & center dome lights. Still in warranty- here I go... :mad:
Other thank the leaks, I love this thing.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips, links and pictures

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought mine used 2 weeks ago. 2nd rainfall and I've got leaks from the front & center dome lights. Still in warranty- here I go... :mad:
Other thank the leaks, I love this thing.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips, links and pictures
Ours is leaking again at the rear dome light. Yea :( Back to the dealer.

It's getting close to the warranty time period, I hope Jeep will continue to honor issues out of warranty since it's obviously an issue from day one.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There are so many water leak threads out there I finally decided to create a post addressing the common causes and solutions for the knowledge base.

Sunroof (Courtesy Roberttroll)
  • Sunroofs should not leak. The holes are to drain away "incidental" water. Meaning morning dew on your roof blown inside. Water should not be getting past the outer seal. You can test your sunroof alignment using a piece of paper.
  • The sliding glass panel is designed to seal water entry with a snug fit between the roof and the seal. The fit can be checked by inserting a piece of paper between the roof and the seal. The piece of paper should have some resistance when pulled out when the glass panel is in the closed position. The sunroof housing will drain off a minimum amount of water. Excessive wind noise could result if the gap clearances are exceeded. The sunroof glass panel may need to be adjusted." (This would be completed by your dealer or by refer to Sunroof Glass Panel Adjustment in the Service Manual should you have one)
  • An easy way to rule out a sunroof leak is to run a bead of silicone around the edge of the sunroof. If it stops leaking then it is the seal. If I were out of options i would run a light bead of silicone on the inside edge, thereby creating a tighter roof/gasket seal.

Roof Rail Holes & Roof Welds

• Refer to the leak detection guide. (see bottom of post)
  • Should this be the issue you will have water coming from your dome light(s). You may also see water in the foot wells as it would be running down the A pillars and side beams.
  • Moisture in the area behind the driver or passenger seatbelt coil (beside the door) also indicates water leaking from the roof.
  • This is easily repaired by completely removing the headliner AND completely removing the roof rack. Ask your dealer to show you your Patriot once these two items are removed. If they cannot, or will not go elsewhere. If they say they did and you did not see it, it did not happen.
  • When these items are removed the area surrounding the roof rack holes can be cleaned. Silicone can be placed around the holes and assembly and the rack can be put back on and screwed together.
  • On the top of the roof you will see to long strips of black plastic stripping. That covers the roof line welds. They can be completely removed. Silicone sealant can be applied and the strips put back on. Surprisingly there is no need to re-weld anything as a good quality natural silicone will last forever and also ensure you can take these strips back off if you ever need to do so.
  • In almost all cases after a leak the headliner will have to be replaced due to the risk of mold. If water has made it down to the floor boards / foot wells the carpeting will have to be removed and replaced due to the risk of mold. Have your dealer show you the old headliner and/or old carpeting. If they cannot, or will not they were not replaced.
  • You can pry off the scuff plate at the base of the door and pull back your carpeting. Slide your hand under the carpeting checking for moisture. If it is there the carpeting must be removed and the area made completely dry.
Water/Moisture in Footwell Only

• This is likely a firewall or wiring harness gromet leak. To verify, it is important to check the A pillars (columns between the windshield and doors) for moisture. If you have no moisture there or coming from your dome light this is likely the cause. You can put a finger up and around the dome lights again checking for moisture.
  • No water or moisture in the roof area, however water on the floor board indicates a firewall, gromet or door weatherstripping failure. You can access these gromets by opening your driver door and looking into the fender area. You will see a large rubber gromet. Ensure it has not fallen out of place. Other gromets and holes through the firewall are accessable via the engine compartment.
  • In most cases you will require some dealer involvement to fix that issue, however because they do not own the Patriot themselves and likely do not care, it is best to tell them what to do and where to check. (sad but true)
Rear Tailgate/Liftgate Leak
  • Refer to the leak detection guide. (see bottom of post)
  • This is likely the easiest leak to diagnose and repair yourself. In fact I recommend doing this fix even if you do not have a leak !
  • Water is found in the spare tire area.
  • You will see two areas where water can pool leading to a leak. Between the two liftgate hinges right in the top centre of the door frame you will see a plastic button (painted the same color as the rest of your Patriot). This plastic button can leak around the edges. Clean around the button with rubbing alcohol. Using a high quality silicone sealant seal around the button.
  • You will see a tube supplying window washer fluid to the rear window. Using the same procedure above seal around the hose and gromet to body panel using silicone.
  • The weather stripping surrounding the door frame should also be checked and pressed into place. This rubber weather stripping is usually stuck onto the frame using a soft black tar substance. It works well, however if not applied correctly as the factory water can sneak past. You may request your dealer to completely remove the rear hatch weather stripping, re-apply the goo, then re-install a new weather stripping. The old weather stripping cannot be used unless you want leaks and black tar all over your interior in a couple days.
Click here: Leak Detection Guide

What next?
So either you or your dealer have completed all the items above, but you still leak. Now what?

1. Document each visit to your dealer.
  2. Retain the invoices for each visit to your dealer, this invoice should detail the work completed.
  3. Ensure your dealer shows you what they completed.
  4. After two unsucessful attempts by the dealer, contact Chrysler and have them open a file. Request they contact the dealer.
  5. If the dealer says the Lemon Law does not apply or there is nothing you can do, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.
  6. After three unsuccessful repair attempts, especially on a new Patriot it is Lemon Law time. Complete the paperwork/process detailed below:
Canada:
Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP)

United States:
Free Lemon Law Guide by State
Consumer Affairs
Lemon Law Basics

Yes, you will have to do some reading and yes it may take you a couple months but you will win. It is a huge pain to follow the process, but sometimes life is like that. You will also get a new Patriot or receive the purchse price back. There is no sense posting complaints about leak issues unless you have followed the process above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are so many water leak threads out there I finally decided to create a post addressing the common causes and solutions for the knowledge base.

What next?
So either you or your dealer have completed all the items above, but you still leak. Now what?

1. After three unsuccessful repair attempts, especially on a new Patriot it is Lemon Law time. Complete the paperwork/process detailed below:

Just a note - New York State requires 4 unsuccessful attempts for the same problem. This means it has to be 4 of the same leak (water leaking from the firewall is different from roof and is different from sunroof). I had 3 repairs deemed "roof leaks" and 3 considered "firewall leaks". So just because it's leaking water doesn't mean it counts as the same problem in lawyer speak.

We lost the lemon law case because of the 2 different leaks. Both places have leaked several more times since the case (which would have satisfied the case) but now we are out of the 18 month period. I'm not even sure if the case can be appealed. I might try writing Chrysler to see if they will at least honor supporting any future reoccurring leaks outside of warranty.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Depends if you believe the dealer or not (as to the location). If either they or you know the location it would be fixed after the first incident.

All one can do is hope it rains at least 4 times during the 18 month period, or in your case 8 times.

Interpreting Lemon Law legislation is a whole different matter.

Just a note - New York State requires 4 unsuccessful attempts for the same problem. This means it has to be 4 of the same leak (water leaking from the firewall is different from roof and is different from sunroof). I had 3 repairs deemed "roof leaks" and 3 considered "firewall leaks". So just because it's leaking water doesn't mean it counts as the same problem in lawyer speak.

We lost the lemon law case because of the 2 different leaks. Both places have leaked several more times since the case (which would have satisfied the case) but now we are out of the 18 month period. I'm not even sure if the case can be appealed. I might try writing Chrysler to see if they will at least honor supporting any future reoccurring leaks outside of warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am also suffering from a leaking liftgate, which is just driving me crazy. i started to inspect the liftgate area and i found some plugs to be lose and the hose that connect to the washer fluid to also be loose. also notice that there is a small hole that seems to have formed. i'll be picking up some silicon and see if that helps.

i'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, screw these leaks already. Too bad since it's a great ride otherwise... but this quality issue makes me want to drive it off a cliff.
I'm soooo with you! In my case the dealership is telling me that the leaks aren;t covered under my extended warranty...common the car is a 2009...:mad:

I want to scream...and reading all your posts on how many times you've been back to the dealership makes me wonder if I have any Lemon Law options...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm soooo with you! In my case the dealership is telling me that the leaks aren;t covered under my extended warranty...common the car is a 2009...:mad:

I want to scream...and reading all your posts on how many times you've been back to the dealership makes me wonder if I have any Lemon Law options...
That's one of the main reasons I didn't pursue the extended warranty. It doesn't explicitly state that it covers "leaks". So I couldn't justify spending $800-$1500 on a "warranty" that might not cover the main issue.

I believe my jeep still isn't fixed. It seems to leak at the end of Winter and beginning of spring when the snow melts. I now can't reproduce a leak otherwise which is an improvement. I think water gets into some small area when the roof is covered, freezes, thaws, and repeat.

Factory warranty is up in a month but there's enough paper trail of the leak within warranty that I'm sure will have to come out if it leaks again next winter/spring.

It's really disappointing how Jeep is handling the water leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just posted a new thread 7.29.2011. my 2009, soaked on the drivers side floor, in the front door post and headliner from the door post to just below the center of door opening. couldn't open that Leak Detection guide, can anyone repost or email to me, [email protected]? thanks. jon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just posted a new thread 7.29.2011. my 2009, soaked on the drivers side floor, in the front door post and headliner from the door post to just below the center of door opening. couldn't open that Leak Detection guide, can anyone repost or email to me, [email protected]? thanks. jon.
It's rehosted in this thread: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66640 which brings you to http://www.norconall.com/documents/Jeep_Patriot_Leak_Detection.pdf

for the front driver side floor ours was leaking in a few spots in the firewall area (both driver and passenger side).

The rear was leaking in through the 3rd brake light seal and through some of the plugs in the top of the liftgate area on the frame.

Not all places are in the "leak detection guide" so keep looking. Make your own "water bay" by just running a water hose over it while you are inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks like the leak detection guide is gone again. I just joined the forum today, but I have a 2008 Patriot Limited that I have owned for a little over three years. About a month ago, I found moisture in the back seat on the passenger's side. (It was during Hurricane Irene.) The next heavy rain after that, I had two inches of water there, but no moisture anywhere else. The "leak detection team" at the local dealers is on vacation for the next week, so I can't even get it in until October 3rd. (How sad is it that they actually have a specialty team for this?) I bought the extended warranty when I bought the vehicle, so I am anxious to see what that say when I take it in. I plan on taking this information with me when I go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have bought a 2008 patriot 3 months ago and i also have a leaking problem in the map light and all around the sunroof! I've gone to the dealer that sold me the car and they have replace alle the seal but it still leaking! today I have called Chrysler Canada and they told me they're no problems with leaking roof!! They told me they never hear about that before! I have called a chrysler jeep dealer in my area and they told me that my patriot has been repair a 32 000kms! But it's still leaking!!! They told me its a design problem on 2007-2008 and 2009 Patriot!! But they have found that the drain are not big enought for draining the water!! Its doing to cost around $350 to change them!!! I dont know if we can poursuit them!!! Excuse me for my English!!! I am a french Canadian girl! Loll! Please reply if you had the same problems!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Updated link for the Leak Detection Guide?

homac or any of the other folks on this thread, do you have an updated download link for the leak detection guide? None of the links to it that I've seen on this forum are live.

I am happy to say I recently purchased a used 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited with FD II, it's awesome, however I am seeing leaking in the rear that's dripping under the cargo floor and pooling up under the spare tire. It doesn't seem to be doing much more than that though it has caused some corrosion on the rear tie down loops and door lock bar.

I'm going to see what I can do with ALLDATAdiy and TSB 23-016-10A, but I'd like to see that Leak Detection Guide as well as it may save me some time.

Thanks for your help and for this great forum.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts